Anyone play video games here?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

Re: Anyone play video games here?

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:22 am

Yeah, I never even noticed any loss of detail here, I thought everything looked great anyway. :) I'll stick with running it off the HD, some graphics loss is far better than having to listen to the CD drive spinning all loud for me.

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:42 am

There are a few things I wish they would have done better for emmersions sake...

A) The large river areas should have used a spline system, instead of a directional water block. (http://vimeo.com/4304024 -vs- http://vimeo.com/6486859)
B) The skybox horizon doesn't match the bottom half.

Beautiful game regardless, and the audio mix is great stride for bringing cinematic mixes into games... It doesn't work well in all games, but an RPG like this, it sure as hell does.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:34 am

nathannn wrote:no the makers of the game have acknowledged that the game looks worse when it installed to the xbox hard drive rather than playing from the disc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhHLuDL3DEA

there is suppose to be a bug fix for this and the many other bugs soon though.
8O whodda thought??? kinda goes against conventional logic.
Tarekith wrote:Yeah, I never even noticed any loss of detail here, I thought everything looked great anyway. :) I'll stick with running it off the HD, some graphics loss is far better than having to listen to the CD drive spinning all loud for me.
i have both the original XBox 360 (which i recently put in my son's room) and the new (black) one... i have to admit that the old (white) one does make some racket, but the new one is really quiet. which one are you using?

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:30 am

scutheotaku wrote:
shuutobi wrote:Silly consoles, looks great on my comp. ;)
Agreed! I'm pretty much an ex-PC gamer (I "switched" to consoles for comfort reasons mainly), though coming from that background I don't get a lot of complaints that console games make about graphics...I mean, I understand expecting a certain standard, but consoles hardware SUCKS compared to your basic, level 1 "gaming" computer (i.e. almost anything past a $350 laptop).

Anyways, by what I've seen, it does look a whole lot better on PC than on 360 or PS3...kinda makes me want to get a gaming rig again...it's too bad the PC version doesn't have *high* res textures though.
Yeah, high is the max for textures, but there are some ultra settings for some other goodies.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:46 am

H20nly wrote:]
i have both the original XBox 360 (which i recently put in my son's room) and the new (black) one... i have to admit that the old (white) one does make some racket, but the new one is really quiet. which one are you using?
White one.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:22 pm

^ once you go black...

:P

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Other than being quieter (not an issue with games on the HD or me) and smaller, there's no other real benefit though, right?

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Tarekith wrote:Other than being quieter (not an issue with games on the HD or me) and smaller, there's no other real benefit though, right?
-Uses less power + smaller power brick.
-Still grinds discs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qblBGTtMMhY (They could have fixed this with using a better drive, or installing 20 cents worth of foam in the drive, but fuck that)
-Built in wifi, although I wouldn't recommend using it.
-Kinect gets power from the slim, but not on the original.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Tarekith wrote:Other than being quieter (not an issue with games on the HD or me) and smaller, there's no other real benefit though, right?
it has built in wireless which would have been nice on the original, but if you're already setup then something like that certainly isn't a reason to go get one. everything else in terms of use, dashboard etc is identical. you might be able to dig up some spec on slightly better graphics, but if an RPG character has 1/3 more stubble it's not going to affect game play for me... YRMV.

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:56 am

I just don't trust wifi for gaming.

You or a neighbor turns on a microwave...
All those lovely new smart meters in the states... Etc.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:23 am

ultra settings on pc with a water and trees texture mod and a night sky mod

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:28 pm

macmurphy wrote:ultra settings on pc with a water and trees texture mod and a night sky mod in the actual resolution that my monitor uses.
fixed.

see if you can get those a little bigger next time eh?

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:33 pm

H20nly wrote:
macmurphy wrote:ultra settings on pc with a water and trees texture mod and a night sky mod in the actual resolution that my monitor uses.
fixed.

see if you can get those a little bigger next time eh?
who poked you in the arse with a sharp stick? :wink:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:57 pm

:P

after watching the images both slowly draw on my screen i felt inclined to... reroute my IP to bypass the company firewall and web filter, but that would take too long.... and could get me fired.... so i decided to bust your balls instead.

*hugs*

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:00 pm

hey, we all need our balls busted sometimes :)