How I play live with Ableton

Share your tracks with other users.

AaronShaver

Re: How I play live with Ableton

Post by AaronShaver » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:32 pm

Really cool song, and good video production values too.

LLR

Post by LLR » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:17 pm

Daniel,

That was great. Do you mind if I ask some questions about your performance. It seems like you used mostly 8 pads and a slew of knobs and faders to create your performance. Also, it didn't seem as if you changed scenes with the pads, so the entire perfomance was made of only 8 pad sounds, and what was on the faders. Did your faders link to effects returns? Did the pads link to samples inside Ableton? At the end of the song, it changes key. Did you adjust the project temp?

Also, how are you able to start looping in Ableton without a click track. That is something I am struggling with. How can I make ableton adapter to my tempo and set the rest of the set off my initial loop?

I hope you don't mind the questions, and feel free to ignore them.

Gabe

danielesciolla

Post by danielesciolla » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:18 am

Hi, and thanks!
Well, I linked the pad to a drum rack (with many sample inside) and I was able to change notes simply clicking on the external computer keyboard linked with some pitch midi effects (just on/off) placed before the drum rack (so when I press the "1" it change octave and.. different octave >> different samples).
On the same computer keyboard I linked the record/launch of some clip (so I click on "A" and clip starts recording, I press again on "A" and the clip starts playing)
At the same time I linked some effect to faders and knob, especially I used the crossfade at the end of the song to play different tracks and mute some other.

If U want to make ableton adapter to your tempo there are many ways, for example U can use a midi pedal and link it to the tap tempo of Ableton, or using visual sign, or using a low-volume clic in monitor or earphones (if you want to play on a preset time) , there are many ways to do it, it depends on what U need.
I hope this helps
Dani

LLR

Post by LLR » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:59 pm

That is very helpful. I have never done any DJ style stuff in Ableton. I always use it as just a DAW, but I want to try some more improvisation.

Your song is great. I also like the original. The weird, distorted and reversed vocal loops coming in and out of the song are just so intriguing it makes the song compelling.

Gabe