All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:23 pm 

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:54 am
Posts: 27
phil909 wrote:
2be wrote:
This sounds more like a hardware issue.
I'd contact NI tech support and tell them about it!

BTW, I'm currently working on a Ableton Live set that makes it easy to play chords & inversions of one scale on the Maschine. What it basically does (please correct me if I say something wrong, I actually have little to no idea about music theory):

1. You hit a pad in the keyboard mode of Maschine group G, sound 1 (that's what I use at least)
2. MIDI notes gets sent from Maschine standalone to Ableton Live standalone via MIDI (using virtual midi cables like LoopBe / MIDIYoke, the built-in Mac OS X feature for that or a plain old MIDI cable)
3. Ableton Live translates each pad note into a chord
4. Chord is sent to Maschine group C, sound 1 (that's what I use)
5. Chord is heard in Maschine. No need to exit the Maschine standalone!

This happens nearly instantly (there is a tiny delay of a few ms, but quantizing by 50 % just once will fix that).

The pads are laid out that every uneven pad (e.g. 1, 3, 5, ...) plays a 'normal' chord (like C, D#, G), while every even pad (e.g. 2, 4, 6, ...) plays an inversion that is within the pitch of the sourrouning pads. You can select which inversions you want on the even pads in the Ableton Live set or by turning a knob in the custom Maschine controller template.
As of now, I only have chords mapped out with 5 notes (I think they are called ninths? Like C, D#, G, A#, D) and the matching 4 different inversions on each even pad, as I'm really into these jazzy Deep House chords. I may add triads and sevenths if someone could use that.

It's really easy to jam around and try out chord progressions, even if you know shit about music theory :lol:



this sounds right up my street - care to share the set?


I would also love to see that creation!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:50 pm 

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:03 am
Posts: 183
I have not forget about it. However, I didn't have much time to work on it, so it's not finished yet.
I however have added some nice features that make it quiet awesome. E.g. it's now possible to change the key of the whole song on the fly.

Bear in mind that it got quiet complex overall. I'm using 2 MIDI loops and the awesome ClyphX, and it will require proper setup on your side to make it work.
I can't promise you an exact time, but as soon as I have added the missing chords and figuered out a way to make it more user friendly, I will open a new thread with setup information, screenshots and templates.

_________________
Deep House, Tech House, Dubstep
soundcloud.com/2bemusic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:48 pm 

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 7
figured it out


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:32 am 

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm
Posts: 636
well well well... this is getting interesting. Just "leaked" from the NI headquarters in LA:

"Understandably, none of these are in any way confirmed, but a "strong hint" was given of the following upcoming products:

-Traktor continuing to grow into a looping/quasi-production environment, ala The Bridge
-Native Maschine drum synth
-Maschine timestretching
-Maschine as a full DAW
-More Maschine Expansions

I suppose most of these are pretty obvious, excepting perhaps Maschine developing into a full DAW. Apparently, back in the early 2000's, some of the lead people from NI left to form Ableton, because they wanted to make a DAW while NI wanted to focus on instruments. Interesting that we're coming full circle - I'm interested to know what you guys think about this."
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... geles.html

Maschine is already 64 bit and has clip automation recording. This will push it ever closer into the DAW category and could develop into an actual full NI DAW going head to head with Live along with Bitwig Studio. Wonder if that means we might eventually see Reaktor 4 Maschine?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:35 pm
Posts: 411
humnumb wrote:
well well well... this is getting interesting. Just "leaked" from the NI headquarters in LA:

"Understandably, none of these are in any way confirmed, but a "strong hint" was given of the following upcoming products:

-Traktor continuing to grow into a looping/quasi-production environment, ala The Bridge
-Native Maschine drum synth
-Maschine timestretching
-Maschine as a full DAW
-More Maschine Expansions

I suppose most of these are pretty obvious, excepting perhaps Maschine developing into a full DAW. Apparently, back in the early 2000's, some of the lead people from NI left to form Ableton, because they wanted to make a DAW while NI wanted to focus on instruments. Interesting that we're coming full circle - I'm interested to know what you guys think about this."
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... geles.html

Maschine is already 64 bit and has clip automation recording. This will push it ever closer into the DAW category and could develop into an actual full NI DAW going head to head with Live along with Bitwig Studio. Wonder if that means we might eventually see Reaktor 4 Maschine?


I saw that too, and it's interesting, but:

  1. I have a hard time trusting anything that gets posted on Gearslutz at this point.
  2. The vast majority (if not all) of NI's development, operations, and marketing/strategy stuff goes down in Berlin (which is more apparent to me now than ever, because I just applied for a job with them, and I live in LA, and the job I applied for is in Berlin). That's not to say the people in LA aren't in the loop, and I know for a fact that they do have some developers working there. But my understanding is that those offices are primarily the support hub for North America + artist relations. I could be wrong. Anyway, something worth considering.
  3. He doesn't mention who he was talking to. That makes a big difference. Even if the gearslutz OP is being completely forthright, and someone at that office did tell him/hint at all that, if it's a marketing guy, it's probably all bullshit (this is coming from a marketing guy).

Having said all that, the Traktor stuff is pretty clearly already happening, based on the video from earlier this week. Timestretching better damn well be happening, it's laughable that they haven't done it already. The Maschine as a DAW bit—I think NI wants to make a DAW (or whatever the "future" version of a DAW is). I think they have the right pieces in place. I'm not yet convinced that when it happens it'll even have the Maschine branding on it. But if Maschine ends up with better mixing/sequencing/host/routing/MIDI/etc capabilities in the meanwhile, I'm all for it. More expansions…who really gives a shit? I have too many drum samples already.

Now a native drum synth, that's something I don't recall hearing speculation about in the past, and I would definitely be interested in. I downloaded the demo of fxpansion Tremor recently, and although the sequencer is cool, I don't really love the sounds. Microtonic, on the other hand, is one of my favorite plugins. A software analog emulation drum synth can clearly be executed well, and Native Instruments definitely has the DSP chops to pull it off, but I would have said the same thing about fxpansion before my trial of Tremor. So we'll have to wait and see, but I like the idea of it at least.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:29 am 

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Posts: 6228
they better leave those sample packs alone and get with the freakin program!

_________________
starving student wrote:
thank you


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:56 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1320
MEGAMaschine - a workflow-oriented Maschine template for Ableton Live:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=162438

"Hey people, thought I'd drop this here. Keen to hear any feedback or idea you have.

MEGAMaschine is my Maschine template for Ableton Live. It has been designed to give you hands on control for the functions that will facilitate a good workflow while you’re jamming out your tunes. It leaves out many of the functions of other templates so that you focus only on what matters most while you’re composing.

http://youtu.be/GU_4i8FFkjo


Features

  • All features are on just 2 pages, no endless menu-diving
  • 8 Macro knobs to control any Ableton Live rack, automatically mapped using Live’s IMap feature
  • All pads are reserved for MIDI notes, and group buttons for changing octaves, no fancy hidden features on pads
  • Buttons to navigate devices/racks to assign Macro knobs
  • 8 buttons mapped to locators in the Live project for easy navigation
  • Buttons to control the parameters of the currently selected track, e.g. Arm, Mute, Solo, Volume, Pan
  • Easily change the currently selected track with the ‘Swing’ knob
  • A Sends page for the 8 knobs to control Sends A – H
  • Transport controls including Play/Pause, Play/Restart, Record, Overdub, Scrub Left/Right
  • Handy buttons for Undo, and to switch between Sequencer and Arrangement views, and to bring up the Maschine plugin window
  • Buttons to navigate and fire/stop the currently selected Scene or Pattern

Download
http://megatroid.noisepages.com/2012/02/megamaschine/
---
Check my other video here for workflow tips and important ideas on how to use this template effectively: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143881"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:46 am 

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:43 pm
Posts: 378
Location: Frankfurt/Germany
2be wrote:
BTW, I'm currently working on a Ableton Live set that makes it easy to play chords & inversions of one scale on the Maschine. What it basically does (please correct me if I say something wrong, I actually have little to no idea about music theory):

1. You hit a pad in the keyboard mode of Maschine group G, sound 1 (that's what I use at least)
2. MIDI notes gets sent from Maschine standalone to Ableton Live standalone via MIDI (using virtual midi cables like LoopBe / MIDIYoke, the built-in Mac OS X feature for that or a plain old MIDI cable)
3. Ableton Live translates each pad note into a chord
4. Chord is sent to Maschine group C, sound 1 (that's what I use)
5. Chord is heard in Maschine. No need to exit the Maschine standalone!

This happens nearly instantly (there is a tiny delay of a few ms, but quantizing by 50 % just once will fix that).

The pads are laid out that every uneven pad (e.g. 1, 3, 5, ...) plays a 'normal' chord (like C, D#, G), while every even pad (e.g. 2, 4, 6, ...) plays an inversion that is within the pitch of the sourrouning pads. You can select which inversions you want on the even pads in the Ableton Live set or by turning a knob in the custom Maschine controller template.
As of now, I only have chords mapped out with 5 notes (I think they are called ninths? Like C, D#, G, A#, D) and the matching 4 different inversions on each even pad, as I'm really into these jazzy Deep House chords. I may add triads and sevenths if someone could use that.

It's really easy to jam around and try out chord progressions, even if you know shit about music theory :lol:

i know about music theory and it's a great idea! would love if you could share your template (or just tell more about how you did that)!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:36 pm 

Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 1:42 pm
Posts: 778
Saxer wrote:
2be wrote:
BTW, I'm currently working on a Ableton Live set that makes it easy to play chords & inversions of one scale on the Maschine. What it basically does (please correct me if I say something wrong, I actually have little to no idea about music theory):

1. You hit a pad in the keyboard mode of Maschine group G, sound 1 (that's what I use at least)
2. MIDI notes gets sent from Maschine standalone to Ableton Live standalone via MIDI (using virtual midi cables like LoopBe / MIDIYoke, the built-in Mac OS X feature for that or a plain old MIDI cable)
3. Ableton Live translates each pad note into a chord
4. Chord is sent to Maschine group C, sound 1 (that's what I use)
5. Chord is heard in Maschine. No need to exit the Maschine standalone!

This happens nearly instantly (there is a tiny delay of a few ms, but quantizing by 50 % just once will fix that).

The pads are laid out that every uneven pad (e.g. 1, 3, 5, ...) plays a 'normal' chord (like C, D#, G), while every even pad (e.g. 2, 4, 6, ...) plays an inversion that is within the pitch of the sourrouning pads. You can select which inversions you want on the even pads in the Ableton Live set or by turning a knob in the custom Maschine controller template.
As of now, I only have chords mapped out with 5 notes (I think they are called ninths? Like C, D#, G, A#, D) and the matching 4 different inversions on each even pad, as I'm really into these jazzy Deep House chords. I may add triads and sevenths if someone could use that.

It's really easy to jam around and try out chord progressions, even if you know shit about music theory :lol:

i know about music theory and it's a great idea! would love if you could share your template (or just tell more about how you did that)!



nativeKontrol did this kind of thing for the padkontrol,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:46 pm 

Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:08 pm
Posts: 361
delicioso,
That is one excellent maschine template you've made there.
I'm not a maschine owner but have considered getting it in the past and keep my eye on all the templates etc that folk create. Yours seems the most simplest and common sense without un-needed nonsense.

_________________
---


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:55 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1320
23kon wrote:
delicioso,
That is one excellent maschine template you've made there.
I'm not a maschine owner but have considered getting it in the past and keep my eye on all the templates etc that folk create. Yours seems the most simplest and common sense without un-needed nonsense.

I didnt make it. Just sharing it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:32 am 

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:11 am
Posts: 63
It's high time for both Push fanbois and Maschine stans to put away their blinders and rediscover and celebrate the long-forgotten love between Maschine and Live. Despite the defensive posturings from a handful of insecure brand loyalists, they're actually best buddies in real life who are seamlessly in love with each other.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:14 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:08 am
Posts: 41
onestep wrote:
It's high time for both Push fanbois and Maschine stans to put away their blinders and rediscover and celebrate the long-forgotten love between Maschine and Live. Despite the defensive posturings from a handful of insecure brand loyalists, they're actually best buddies in real life who are seamlessly in love with each other.

Hear, hear!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:45 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:28 pm
Posts: 164
I got nothing but love for them. Haters gonna hate anyway. They're both indispensable tools in my arsenal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:07 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1320
I have a dream...

that one day on the streets of Berlin the sons of former fanboys of Push and Maschine will be able to jam out together at a table of brotherhood...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group