The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
delicioso

Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Post by delicioso » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:39 pm

In case anyone missed this:
NI is giving away a custom Maschine model. I believe you can enter until 1/31.

"Hi all,

I wanted to make sure you don't miss this, we are having a give-away on the Maschine Facebook page where you can win this custom white Maschine with wood ends (picture below).

http://www.facebook.com/nimaschine?v=app_4949752878

If you are already subscribed to the Maschine Facebook page anyway, you are automatically in the drawing. Either way, good luck

Regards, Thomas"

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:00 pm

^Yeah that Maschine is SICK.

Pinnipeds

Post by Pinnipeds » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:23 pm

I'm heavily considering taking the plunge and getting a Maschine, although I see it is not ideal for clip launching.
Would the Launchpad be a good companion to the Maschine? The only thing I would be missing is physical faders, but it's not a huge gripe for me.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:09 am

what makes it not ideal for clip launching?

smisk

Post by smisk » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:23 pm

phil909 wrote:
2be wrote:This sounds more like a hardware issue.
I'd contact NI tech support and tell them about it!

BTW, I'm currently working on a Ableton Live set that makes it easy to play chords & inversions of one scale on the Maschine. What it basically does (please correct me if I say something wrong, I actually have little to no idea about music theory):

1. You hit a pad in the keyboard mode of Maschine group G, sound 1 (that's what I use at least)
2. MIDI notes gets sent from Maschine standalone to Ableton Live standalone via MIDI (using virtual midi cables like LoopBe / MIDIYoke, the built-in Mac OS X feature for that or a plain old MIDI cable)
3. Ableton Live translates each pad note into a chord
4. Chord is sent to Maschine group C, sound 1 (that's what I use)
5. Chord is heard in Maschine. No need to exit the Maschine standalone!

This happens nearly instantly (there is a tiny delay of a few ms, but quantizing by 50 % just once will fix that).

The pads are laid out that every uneven pad (e.g. 1, 3, 5, ...) plays a 'normal' chord (like C, D#, G), while every even pad (e.g. 2, 4, 6, ...) plays an inversion that is within the pitch of the sourrouning pads. You can select which inversions you want on the even pads in the Ableton Live set or by turning a knob in the custom Maschine controller template.
As of now, I only have chords mapped out with 5 notes (I think they are called ninths? Like C, D#, G, A#, D) and the matching 4 different inversions on each even pad, as I'm really into these jazzy Deep House chords. I may add triads and sevenths if someone could use that.

It's really easy to jam around and try out chord progressions, even if you know shit about music theory :lol:

this sounds right up my street - care to share the set?
I would also love to see that creation!

2be

Post by 2be » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:50 pm

I have not forget about it. However, I didn't have much time to work on it, so it's not finished yet.
I however have added some nice features that make it quiet awesome. E.g. it's now possible to change the key of the whole song on the fly.

Bear in mind that it got quiet complex overall. I'm using 2 MIDI loops and the awesome ClyphX, and it will require proper setup on your side to make it work.
I can't promise you an exact time, but as soon as I have added the missing chords and figuered out a way to make it more user friendly, I will open a new thread with setup information, screenshots and templates.

davegutt

Post by davegutt » Fri May 27, 2011 10:48 pm

figured it out

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:32 am

well well well... this is getting interesting. Just "leaked" from the NI headquarters in LA:

"Understandably, none of these are in any way confirmed, but a "strong hint" was given of the following upcoming products:

-Traktor continuing to grow into a looping/quasi-production environment, ala The Bridge
-Native Maschine drum synth
-Maschine timestretching
-Maschine as a full DAW
-More Maschine Expansions

I suppose most of these are pretty obvious, excepting perhaps Maschine developing into a full DAW. Apparently, back in the early 2000's, some of the lead people from NI left to form Ableton, because they wanted to make a DAW while NI wanted to focus on instruments. Interesting that we're coming full circle - I'm interested to know what you guys think about this."
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... geles.html

Maschine is already 64 bit and has clip automation recording. This will push it ever closer into the DAW category and could develop into an actual full NI DAW going head to head with Live along with Bitwig Studio. Wonder if that means we might eventually see Reaktor 4 Maschine?

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 am

humnumb wrote:well well well... this is getting interesting. Just "leaked" from the NI headquarters in LA:

"Understandably, none of these are in any way confirmed, but a "strong hint" was given of the following upcoming products:

-Traktor continuing to grow into a looping/quasi-production environment, ala The Bridge
-Native Maschine drum synth
-Maschine timestretching
-Maschine as a full DAW
-More Maschine Expansions

I suppose most of these are pretty obvious, excepting perhaps Maschine developing into a full DAW. Apparently, back in the early 2000's, some of the lead people from NI left to form Ableton, because they wanted to make a DAW while NI wanted to focus on instruments. Interesting that we're coming full circle - I'm interested to know what you guys think about this."
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... geles.html

Maschine is already 64 bit and has clip automation recording. This will push it ever closer into the DAW category and could develop into an actual full NI DAW going head to head with Live along with Bitwig Studio. Wonder if that means we might eventually see Reaktor 4 Maschine?
I saw that too, and it's interesting, but:
  1. I have a hard time trusting anything that gets posted on Gearslutz at this point.
  2. The vast majority (if not all) of NI's development, operations, and marketing/strategy stuff goes down in Berlin (which is more apparent to me now than ever, because I just applied for a job with them, and I live in LA, and the job I applied for is in Berlin). That's not to say the people in LA aren't in the loop, and I know for a fact that they do have some developers working there. But my understanding is that those offices are primarily the support hub for North America + artist relations. I could be wrong. Anyway, something worth considering.
  3. He doesn't mention who he was talking to. That makes a big difference. Even if the gearslutz OP is being completely forthright, and someone at that office did tell him/hint at all that, if it's a marketing guy, it's probably all bullshit (this is coming from a marketing guy).
Having said all that, the Traktor stuff is pretty clearly already happening, based on the video from earlier this week. Timestretching better damn well be happening, it's laughable that they haven't done it already. The Maschine as a DAW bit—I think NI wants to make a DAW (or whatever the "future" version of a DAW is). I think they have the right pieces in place. I'm not yet convinced that when it happens it'll even have the Maschine branding on it. But if Maschine ends up with better mixing/sequencing/host/routing/MIDI/etc capabilities in the meanwhile, I'm all for it. More expansions…who really gives a shit? I have too many drum samples already.

Now a native drum synth, that's something I don't recall hearing speculation about in the past, and I would definitely be interested in. I downloaded the demo of fxpansion Tremor recently, and although the sequencer is cool, I don't really love the sounds. Microtonic, on the other hand, is one of my favorite plugins. A software analog emulation drum synth can clearly be executed well, and Native Instruments definitely has the DSP chops to pull it off, but I would have said the same thing about fxpansion before my trial of Tremor. So we'll have to wait and see, but I like the idea of it at least.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:29 am

they better leave those sample packs alone and get with the freakin program!

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:56 am

MEGAMaschine - a workflow-oriented Maschine template for Ableton Live:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=162438

"Hey people, thought I'd drop this here. Keen to hear any feedback or idea you have.

MEGAMaschine is my Maschine template for Ableton Live. It has been designed to give you hands on control for the functions that will facilitate a good workflow while you’re jamming out your tunes. It leaves out many of the functions of other templates so that you focus only on what matters most while you’re composing.

http://youtu.be/GU_4i8FFkjo

Features
  • All features are on just 2 pages, no endless menu-diving
  • 8 Macro knobs to control any Ableton Live rack, automatically mapped using Live’s IMap feature
  • All pads are reserved for MIDI notes, and group buttons for changing octaves, no fancy hidden features on pads
  • Buttons to navigate devices/racks to assign Macro knobs
  • 8 buttons mapped to locators in the Live project for easy navigation
  • Buttons to control the parameters of the currently selected track, e.g. Arm, Mute, Solo, Volume, Pan
  • Easily change the currently selected track with the ‘Swing’ knob
  • A Sends page for the 8 knobs to control Sends A – H
  • Transport controls including Play/Pause, Play/Restart, Record, Overdub, Scrub Left/Right
  • Handy buttons for Undo, and to switch between Sequencer and Arrangement views, and to bring up the Maschine plugin window
  • Buttons to navigate and fire/stop the currently selected Scene or Pattern
Download
http://megatroid.noisepages.com/2012/02/megamaschine/
---
Check my other video here for workflow tips and important ideas on how to use this template effectively: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=143881"

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:46 am

2be wrote: BTW, I'm currently working on a Ableton Live set that makes it easy to play chords & inversions of one scale on the Maschine. What it basically does (please correct me if I say something wrong, I actually have little to no idea about music theory):

1. You hit a pad in the keyboard mode of Maschine group G, sound 1 (that's what I use at least)
2. MIDI notes gets sent from Maschine standalone to Ableton Live standalone via MIDI (using virtual midi cables like LoopBe / MIDIYoke, the built-in Mac OS X feature for that or a plain old MIDI cable)

This happens nearly instantly (there is a tiny delay of a few ms, but quantizing by 50 % just once will fix that).

The pads are laid out that every uneven pad (e.g. 1, 3, 5, ...) plays a 'normal' chord (like C, D#, G), while every even pad (e.g. 2, 4, 6, ...) plays an inversion that is within the pitch of the sourrouning pads. You can select which inversions you want on the even pads in the Ableton Live set or by turning a knob in the custom Maschine controller template.
As of now, I only have chords mapped out with 5 notes (I think they are called ninths? Like C, D#, G, A#, D) and the matching 4 different inversions on each even pad, as I'm really into these jazzy Deep House chords. I may add triads and sevenths if someone could use that.

It's really easy to jam around and try out chord progressions, even if you know shit about music theory :lol:
i know about music theory and it's a great idea! would love if you could share your template (or just tell more about how you did that)!

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Saxer wrote:
2be wrote: BTW, I'm currently working on a Ableton Live set that makes it easy to play chords & inversions of one scale on the Maschine. What it basically does (please correct me if I say something wrong, I actually have little to no idea about music theory):

i know about music theory and it's a great idea! would love if you could share your template (or just tell more about how you did that)!

nativeKontrol did this kind of thing for the padkontrol,

23kon

Post by 23kon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:46 pm

delicioso,
That is one excellent maschine template you've made there.
I'm not a maschine owner but have considered getting it in the past and keep my eye on all the templates etc that folk create. Yours seems the most simplest and common sense without un-needed nonsense.
---

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:55 am

23kon wrote:delicioso,
That is one excellent maschine template you've made there.
I'm not a maschine owner but have considered getting it in the past and keep my eye on all the templates etc that folk create. Yours seems the most simplest and common sense without un-needed nonsense.
I didnt make it. Just sharing it.