Best small keyboard and midi controller for Live Suite?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
citizenchris099

Re: Best small keyboard and midi controller for Live Suite?

Post by citizenchris099 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:21 pm

also selling my Allen&Heath Xone 2D in case anyone is interested

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280828510714?ss ... 1555.l2649

this is an awesome piece of DJ kit. I'm just not into that scene anymore

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:44 pm

Watch List :mrgreen:
ImageImage

JohnDoppler

Post by JohnDoppler » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:01 pm

M-Audio Oxygen8 V2.

I have it, it has everything you need, 25 keys, 8 assignable knobs, mod wheel, pitch wheel and an octave up and down button.

Best part is it only cost me £40.00 - €48.00 - $63.00...Used that is

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=m+audi ... CEkQrQMwAQ

abl385

Post by abl385 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:41 pm

AKAI MPK25. Although if I was to make the same decision again, I would probably go for an MPD32 + a separate keyboard. This way you have more versatility.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:46 pm

JohnDoppler wrote:M-Audio Oxygen8 V2.

I have it, it has everything you need

what if you need the expressive control of semi-weighted keys or aftertouch? Or pads,
johnnyvn wrote:to bang out (...) beats
or to not have to scan your knobs around waiting for pickup every time you switch device focus?

or want any of the following:
johnnyvn wrote:and it would be nice to have as many assignable knobs and faders as possible. An XY controller would be an added bonus. So would a slide ribbon!
Saying an Oxygen 25 has "everything you need" is a severe overstatement, it's an incredibly basic, entry-level contender to the field of midi controllers (keyboard with mod/pitch wheels, 8 fixed range knobs and a single fader).
looks like they're looking for something possibly with some pads, and a fair deal of faders and knobs (with possibly some extras that they are unlikely to find all together on one controller). Oxygen is a bit basic, and the OP seems to be asking for something a step up from a basic controller

Also, I'm going to take this suggestion as cause to re-iterate: ENDLESS ENCODERS!

Get at least an Axiom if you're going the M-audio route, It's got endless encoders, and if you spring for the 49 key version, faders as well. It's nice because Ableton worked with M-audio to make it a supported controller, so it has 3 presets specifically designed to work with ableton, controlling Impulse, or scene launch, mixer control with the faders (on the Axiom 49+ as the 25 has no faders), and device control with the encoders, so it's a bit easier to set up. Only build complaint is that for some reason they made the endless encoders click at each increment, so they make this annoying zipping sound whenever you turn them. That's the reason I usually use the encoders on my DJ controller.