don't worry, dubstep is now officially dead

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
regretfullySaid

Re: don't worry, dubstep is now officially dead

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 pm

No doubt, already aware of it. The whole 20 years ago revival has probably been going on since humankind has had style. I went through my sort-of-hippy/beat phase in high school as well as having my flannel shirt in when grunge was insanely over-the-top. Guilty.

You know, there's a silver lining that came with Kurt's spot on attempt at pearcing his forehead.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:30 pm

AceLuby wrote:
shadx312 wrote:Media should try and revIve the "grunge" fashion to the step scene just for shits and giggles.
Don't pretend for a second that grunge won't make its way back...

late 60's -> hippy
70's -> flare jeans & disco
80's -> skinny jeans & stretch pants
90's -> grunge
late 90's -> hippies
2000's -> flare jeans & disco
2010 -> skinny jeans & stretch pants

I saw the 80's thing coming in the late 90's when flare jeans and 'vintage' 70's wear made a comeback. Grunge is coming back in some form w/in the next 5 years or so. Basically once the kids who grew up during that time turn about 35, just like all of the other fads.

Your cycle doesn’t include the return of top hats and the Charleston.

Music didn’t start with the hippies. :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:37 pm

That was going on in the 90's but it was overshadowed by the Swing revival.
I gues it wasn't "so money" enough.
ImageImage

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:57 pm

it's already happening hence pearljams new album

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Oh yeah that's right didn't they switch to ragtime? Explains why Vedder was always doing the Jitterbug.
ImageImage

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:12 am

grunge is definitely coming back.. or here. lotsa flannel shirts around these days. just sayin.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:00 am

grungestep

why not
ImageImage

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:38 am

grunge never went away, been sportin my goat and flannel since...before seattle

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:39 am

Rock on, brother!

OT I'm unexpectedly feelin some Cinematic Orchestra right now. It's later in the Past Present & Future album. At first I was thinking it was Motion then "uh wtf" but this is like some spa treatment sheeeit. I can picture sculpting or painting to this...

it led me to thinking about early Jazzanova or actually specifically this Extended Spirit song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnJxvgKT ... sults_main which I fucking love, especially this little part when it gets funky with the synths

It's the bomb. Ok, while it's trying to submit for some reason, I will correct it by saying it's the motherfucking shizznabbity bizzle
480 that byotch
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:21 am

shadx312 wrote:Rock on, brother!

OT I'm unexpectedly feelin some Cinematic Orchestra right now. It's later in the Past Present & Future album. At first I was thinking it was Motion then "uh wtf" but this is like some spa treatment sheeeit. I can picture sculpting or painting to this...

it led me to thinking about early Jazzanova or actually specifically this Extended Spirit song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnJxvgKT ... sults_main which I fucking love, especially this little part when it gets funky with the synths

It's the bomb. Ok, while it's trying to submit for some reason, I will correct it by saying it's the motherfucking shizznabbity bizzle
480 that byotch

If you write down tempo mood music Cinematic Orchestra is one of those artists you listen to that makes you wonder why you even bother trying and then you go and rub one out or play a video game in an effort to block out the thought of your juvenile and pedestrian attempt at music creation. :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:11 am

For some reason at the time I took that personally and went on the defensive but I know you didn't mean it that way.
Anyway, even though I had a serious heavy downtempo period I can't think of much past stuff that really sounds downtempo...except maybe a couple more to go with these old ones
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

infiniteB

Post by infiniteB » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:25 am

historically true, if that makes sense.

:)
levimoniz wrote:Anyone who rather listen to dumpstep over, say, Born in the U.S.A. (or even Party in the U.S.A.) is a "desperate individual" seeking validation by attaching their sense of self to genres, movements, and objects in the hope that they'll receive some positive attention and recognition for it.

Dumpstep is simply not more musically or historically redeeming than Darkness on the Edge of Town or Dust Bowl Ballads, but it's not as "cool" to be a Bruce Springsteen or Woody Guthrie fan as it is to be a dumpstep fan, is it?

Dumpstep (and really much of the electronic music fawned over on fora like this) is what G.I. Gurdjieff would call "subjective art", which he said (and I agree) is not art at all but can be likened to a person taking a shit: A necessary act for its creator to purge useless mental buildup, but an act and "product" wholly useless and meaningless (not to mention disgusting) to the rest of intelligent and sane mankind.

Dumpstep doesn't substantially come from or go to anywhere and it's not about anything. It is the byproduct of its creator's mind shitting out useless thoughts, feelings, and desires as a means of getting relief from the insane thinking of said creator. Dumpstep is the subjective audio-shit of its creators and can only come from and be enjoyed by unquiet and perverse minds.

No secure person with taste was worried or at all concerned with dumpstep to begin with, thank you.
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:23 am

That's a load of dribble. For one thing, comparing brostep to Springsteen is retarded, and then he brings in the security issue which may have some relevance to the context of that original thread but at this point brostep shouldn't be discounted as having some kind of skill to make.

That argument sounds like the same thing an old fart would say when punk was happening, and then not all punk bands are the same.
It is the byproduct of its creator's mind shitting out useless thoughts, feelings, and desires as a means of getting relief from the insane thinking of said creator.
That statement is a result of it's creator's mind shitting out useless thoughts. Shitting and Brostep are practically on the opposite sides of the spectrum. Why? Because shitting doesn't take thought or concentration. And let's get this over with now, brostep and dubstep are 2 different vibes. The most that may be confusing is light-brostep vs dubstep; maybe something like Magnetic Man. I consider dubstep to be more live oriented and brostep to be more editing oriented, so in a sense, brostep requires less shitting than dubstep.

In a nutshell, the basis of brostep is a shitload of editing; the opposite of non-spontaneous. I don't know how much work it takes for you to shit, but it doesn't require much editing from me, sans the occasional thai curry meal every once or twice a month.
ImageImage

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:34 am

It is the byproduct of its creator's mind shitting out useless thoughts, feelings, and desires as a means of getting relief from the insane thinking of said creator.
Yeah, well, those useless thoughts seem to have resonated with a whole lot of people. Particularly ones who enjoy having fun and have the future in front of them. I'm betting it has a more long-term positive effect than negative.

Never thought I'd be defending brostep...

And BTW, the basis of art is shitting. The execution of how and what you turn it into is the deciding factor.

FFS

ImageImage

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:43 pm

could it be...SATAN?

OMG...i just randomly stumbled on this in the pic thread!