DJ equipment suggestions for beginners.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JuanSOLO

Re: DJ equipment suggestions for beginners.

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:15 pm

beats me wrote:No offense to anybody on here who put in the time and years, but I think at this point if you’re just getting started there’s absolutely no reason to get started on vinyl decks.

None taken, and I somewhat agree, however as I said earlier if I do a DJ set where kids are around, they always go for the turntables not the controllers.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
beats me wrote:No offense to anybody on here who put in the time and years, but I think at this point if you’re just getting started there’s absolutely no reason to get started on vinyl decks.

None taken, and I somewhat agree, however as I said earlier if I do a DJ set where kids are around, they always go for the turntables not the controllers.
yup, something about turntables just mezmerizes kids.. probably cuz a good portion never touched one.. plus these kids in particular like scratching, so I say get some used stantons/technics..

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:59 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:

That's kind of interesting. I think similarly if you said to some kids "Let's go write some music" and then showed them to a room with nothing but a DAW open on a computer and no traditional instruments or controllers in sight they would be somewhat baffled and disappointed.

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:14 pm

beats me wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:

That's kind of interesting. I think similarly if you said to some kids "Let's go write some music" and then showed them to a room with nothing but a DAW open on a computer and no traditional instruments or controllers in sight they would be somewhat baffled and disappointed.
Thing is guys, is I'm in Sweden.
There is no Ebay and 1210's are hard to come by.
I personally use vinyl and 1210's but wouldn't want to convince a kid's parent that they should invest 1000 dollars in 2 x1210's and a mixer for their 15 year old child. The digital options are cheaper and if the kid keeps up the interest, maybe he'll want to invest in some real turntables in years to come.
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:20 pm

I use Traktor for DJing. I have only used the S2 and S4 at stores where they sell it. All the faders, knobs and layout are pretty nice. For the "intro" price I would say the S2 is one of the best options. At least for plug and play at 400 bucks.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:26 pm

eggnchips wrote: Thing is guys, is I'm in Sweden.
There is no Ebay and 1210's are hard to come by.
I personally use vinyl and 1210's but wouldn't want to convince a kid's parent that they should invest 1000 dollars in 2 x1210's and a mixer for their 15 year old child. The digital options are cheaper and if the kid keeps up the interest, maybe he'll want to invest in some real turntables in years to come.
No eBay in Sweden? WTF?

Must admit I thought the vinyl route would be cheap, but I just checked and even a 2nd hand pair of 1210's goes for £350 plus. Didn't realise they still went for that, thought they were half that. Makes me think it's time to offload mine on eBay.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

!STiTCH!

Post by !STiTCH! » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:56 am

Just my $0.02 here ... you can make any controller do what you want and work in the way you want it. I have used (and still have collecting dust) the Behringer BCD2000/3000 controllers, not bad, not really great for scratching but the controls are pretty intuitive, also the Hercules RMX (this is my standard "turntable" controller these days) but the buttons are no good for beat juggling. I say buy what you can afford and learn to make it work for your workflow and dont rely on one controller, there is not one controller to rule them all. My live rig consists of the Hercules, APC40, a Korg NanoKontrol, Akai MPD16 and a Behringer BCF2000 each doing their own thing.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:31 am

!STiTCH! wrote:you can make any controller do what you want and work in the way you want it.
This statement is far from factual.
!STiTCH! wrote:not really great for scratching but
and this one explains why. Yet there are lots of things "any" controller wont do, and some are more difficult to program than others the APC40 being a fine example of a stubborn controller to "control" without proper research and knowledge and sometimes even 3rd party software assistants pending on what applications you intend to use it for.

Not to mention the OP is looking for a rig to teach kids the basics of DJing, on a budget, simple as that, not controllerizm 101.