Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ikeaboy
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Aweeeezy wrote:
I'm not ruling this out, but if this is the case, then why does choosing a different output device in Ableton temporarily solve the problem? Any why does only the one group behave this way while the other group's dry signal is properly phased out when sent to any of the return tracks?

I think it's just some kinda bug relating to my interface...I ordered a second Audio DJ 8 that should be arriving early next week. I'm hoping that combing the two Audio 8s into one aggregated device and choosing that device as my output will solve the problem. We'll see!...I hate waiting.
That's the kind of thing that would drive me mental because it doesn't seem to make any sense. Are the groups all routed to the master or are they sent to external outs?

Aweeeezy
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by Aweeeezy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:25 pm

ikeaboy wrote:That's the kind of thing that would drive me mental because it doesn't seem to make any sense. Are the groups all routed to the master or are they sent to external outs?

It has been driving me mental! All groups are routed to the master out and any or all of them can be sent to an external out if Send A is turned up on the groups.

So you guys know how I said I was waiting for another Audio DJ 8 to arrive so I could aggregate them? Well, I was playing with that last night and the two Audio 8s together have solved my problem with the Beats group not phasing out....but now I get a little audio noise every couple minutes that seems to involve only the output to the Korg pad. If I unselect 9/10 as the output pair for the return track that sends its audio to the Korg and reselect it, it temporarily fixes the problem only to resurface later...

I've thought about it, and it's either an issue of my not selecting the proper device of the two Audio 8s to have its midi clock drift to the other, or possibly with the fact that the Audio 8 that outputs to the korg isn't plugged directly into my computer like the other Audio...it is instead connected to a USB hub.

It could also be because I'm using Coreaudio and should be using ASIO. I downloaded ASIO, but I can't find the ASIO Drivers folder thats supposed to be in Live's "Resources" folder. Does anyone know the proper procedure for finding (or more like creating) this folder?

cotdagoo
Posts: 1035
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:34 pm
Location: canuhduh

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by cotdagoo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Aweeeezy wrote:It could also be because I'm using Coreaudio and should be using ASIO. I downloaded ASIO, but I can't find the ASIO Drivers folder thats supposed to be in Live's "Resources" folder. Does anyone know the proper procedure for finding (or more like creating) this folder?
You say you 'downloaded ASIO' - not entirely sure what that entails or means as there's not one 'ASIO' to download..

Each interface should come with it's own ASIO drivers to install.

http://co.native-instruments.com/index. ... Audio_8_DJ

I don't have a mac, but assuming you can install straight from the .dmg file and not have to worry about copying a ASIO Driver folder (?)

Shesh
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:43 am

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by Shesh » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:08 am

IIRC, you need to setup the utility plug on the second send and then send it to the first send with the FX on it.

Sending from the first to the second send will add 1 sample of delay to the signal.

HTH.

Aweeeezy
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by Aweeeezy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:16 am

cotdagoo wrote: You say you 'downloaded ASIO' - not entirely sure what that entails or means as there's not one 'ASIO' to download..

Each interface should come with it's own ASIO drivers to install.

http://co.native-instruments.com/index. ... Audio_8_DJ

I don't have a mac, but assuming you can install straight from the .dmg file and not have to worry about copying a ASIO Driver folder (?)
I've installed from the disk image and restarted my computer, but there's still no ASIO to choose in either Maschine or Ableton.

I've tried connecting the Audio DJs with a midi cable, but the problem persists. Is it necessary to have two midi cables to sync two interfaces together?

Aweeeezy
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by Aweeeezy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:18 am

Shesh wrote:IIRC, you need to setup the utility plug on the second send and then send it to the first send with the FX on it.

Sending from the first to the second send will add 1 sample of delay to the signal.

HTH.
I'm gonna try this.

Aweeeezy
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by Aweeeezy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiSkEiU- ... sRJql9dGs=

at 3:45, you'll hear the problem that i've been describing

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:53 pm

Have you tried to render project that is simmilar to what you did in real time? If there is still problem in the rendered wave file that would be not the problem in the drivers or hardware devices.
Image

Aweeeezy
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by Aweeeezy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:46 am

pencilrocket wrote:Have you tried to render project that is simmilar to what you did in real time? If there is still problem in the rendered wave file that would be not the problem in the drivers or hardware devices.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by rendering a project similar to this. Do you mean that I should arrange my clips and automate all the movements? This would require resampling all my beats from maschine first :/

7G
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:20 pm
Location: Veroia,Hellas
Contact:

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by 7G » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Disabling latency compensation does the trick for me..
But remember not to turn on High Q mode on Live's plugs when
in sends...Also set them to 100% wet and if puting a compressor
set lookahead to 0..Last but not least in Abletons Preferences change buffer size of plugins
to 32..Ah!And if you put Live's reverb stick also a utility plug and invert phase

Aweeeezy
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by Aweeeezy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:13 am

7G wrote:Disabling latency compensation does the trick for me..
But remember not to turn on High Q mode on Live's plugs when
in sends...Also set them to 100% wet and if puting a compressor
set lookahead to 0..Last but not least in Abletons Preferences change buffer size of plugins
to 32..Ah!And if you put Live's reverb stick also a utility plug and invert phase
Hmmm, very interesting...this may be just what I need...

What does changing the plugin buffer size to 32 do?

Using high quality on my plugs will undoubtedly screw up my set after turning delay compensation off?

By "disabling latency compensation", do you mean I should turn off "Delay compensation" in the options menu, or should i create an Options.txt file with "-StrictDelayCompensation" entered into it?

....or should I do both?

7G
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:20 pm
Location: Veroia,Hellas
Contact:

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by 7G » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:25 am

Simply turn it off in the options menu and the very small buffer size (32)
will balance in some way the latency..

Aweeeezy
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by Aweeeezy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:52 pm

7G wrote:Simply turn it off in the options menu and the very small buffer size (32)
will balance in some way the latency..
I went to test this idea out on my own template and the "delay compensation" option has been grayed out. I could uncheck it when I had my laptop away from my desk last night, but it seems it's no longer an option once I've connected to my soundcards...I don't know if changing the plug-in buffer size to 32 is what did the trick, but my setup hasn't collapsed in the 20 minutes I tested it this morning. I'll have to do some more testing to be sure that the problem is resolved though. If it still acts funky, I'll add that options.txt file into my live folder and manually override the delay compensation and see how that affects the sound. Thanks for you advice!

7G
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:20 pm
Location: Veroia,Hellas
Contact:

Re: Magic sends not so magical anymore :/

Post by 7G » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:51 am

Aweeeezy wrote:Thanks for you advice!
Anytime!Happy music making ;-)

Post Reply