Anyone using Korg padKontrol with Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UltimateOutsider

Anyone using Korg padKontrol with Live 8?

Post by UltimateOutsider » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:31 am

I cannot get my padKontrol to show up in Ableton Live 8 as a MIDI controller. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and have the Korg USB MIDI driver installed (version 1.13.00.03 user and 1.06.00.01 kernel). I am connecting the padKontrol to my PC via USB and the padKontrol appears to be operational (LED lights up, pads flash red when touched), however neither of my DAWs see any MIDI activity from it.

When I go to the MIDI Sync preferences of Live 8, no Korg ports are listed under Input or Output.

The Korg manual gives no guidance on how to get DAWs to see the device, so I have no idea whether my padKontrol is working, or whether there's anything additional I need to do to set it up.

What is it supposed to take to get a DAW to see the padKontrol on a USB connection on 64-bit Windows 7?

If you're using a padKontrol with Live, are you using MIDI or USB?

Thanks!

madlab

Re: Anyone using Korg padKontrol with Live 8?

Post by madlab » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:47 am

usb on a mac. Works perfectly without any driver. Recognized as a control surface.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:37 am

I have 2 of them - work perfectly on my Mac. I know this doesn't help you, but don't give up; pK is the best pads available imo.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

COOLOUT

Post by COOLOUT » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:37 am

I haven't had any problems using my padkontrol with Windows 7(32-bit).

Sounds like you don't have the drivers properly installed.

I would make sure to have the latest drivers installed from the Korg site and then try plugging it into a different USB port. The padkontrol was originally released before Win7 so you can't use the driver CD that comes in the box.

Also make sure you have the korg editor/librarian installed. I remember that I had to figure out which scenes on the padkontrol were mapped best for Ableton drum racks.

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:24 am

It works fine for me - Win7x64

Sounds like you don't have the Editor Librarian software and the MIDI tools installed?

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:15 am

you need to run the setup from your start menu/programs after you have installed from the disc. IIRC there's something a bit weird about the install from disc, it makes you think you have done the install but all its done is install programs to your start menu that have to be run/installed.

something weird along those lines anyway. lol

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks to all who replied. I was running the latest drivers from the web site. It's funny, the box and printed manual are from 2005 (XP era), but the driver disc is from 2008 (Vista era)... the drivers up on the site are from 2011 and explicitly support Win 7, so that was a relief. :)

Anyway, I looked in the KORG USB-MIDI Driver folder and ran the UnInstDrv64 program. After clicking Next the first time I saw that there were four lines that looked something like this:
  • midi 1: wdm (corrupted)
  • midi 2: wdm (corrupted)
  • midi 3: wdm (corrupted)
  • midi 4: wdm (corrupted)
Down below that were my other real MIDI ports, followed by the one that said "KORG padKONTROL (Connected)"

On a hunch, I disconnected the device, deleted all of the padKONTROL and WDM entries, and then re-connected. I now see all MIDI in and out ports in my DAW. Whew!

Again, thanks for the advice!