Using Ableton for 13 song Live Recording

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
play4god

Using Ableton for 13 song Live Recording

Post by play4god » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:39 am

Hi, everyone...

I want to use Ableton to play backing tracks during a 13 song live recording. Trouble is, I've only ever used it for one song at a time. I have specific requirements for the recording, and wondered if you could suggest the best way to do this in AL?

1- Tracks are controlled by the keyboard player
2- Need markers that we can jump to within every song so we can follow the feel of things and jump back to repeat a chorus, bridge, verse, etc, for any of the 13 songs.
3- When flowing from song to song, the time between songs may vary - so we'd like to be able to insert a 'stop the playhead here' marker after one song ends - so I can simply hit play to start into the next song
4- I'd like to avoid having to load a new live set for each song - and have all of the audio available 'live'.
5- Mostly, I'll have 2 tracks for each song: 1) a stereo backing tracks mix 2) a click track for the band

Any thoughts on how to best accomplish this? Ideally if I could do a stop marker (do they exist in AL?) and easily map song sections I'd be set, maybe.

Usually, for a single song set, I use q, w, e, r, t, y for verse 1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, bridge, ending, respectively- but I have 13 songs now, and I don't think I can remap these within the same live set, right?

Thanks so much for any help the experts can provide..
Jeff
:mrgreen:

jonathan harker

Re: Using Ableton for 13 song Live Recording

Post by jonathan harker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:30 am

use sessionview!?

jonathan harker

Post by jonathan harker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:33 am

in sessionview you could have multiple scenes per track for your different songparts. i would highly recommend to read the manual about sessionview and all things related. cheers!

joshrrr

Post by joshrrr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:10 am

Hi Jonathan,

Session view holds the key.

One hint: An easy way of getting a click track and a (mono) audio output is to put all of the song into the left channel, and then put the click track on the right channel. (this is also useful when DJing)