The idea of using Ableton as your master software

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Xone:92 or Pioneer 900 Nexus? (EDM Producer)

Xone:92
75%
Pioneer 900 Nexus
25%

Total votes: 4

ryryry203

The idea of using Ableton as your master software

Post by ryryry203 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:02 am

So I have Ableton Suite and I am trying to produce EDM, this part is not too hard, but the real question is how do I DJ what I have made in studio?

I have an M-Audio Trigger Finger which I would like to put sets into for live performance, APC-40 as a midi controller that id also like to use live, and my 17" macbook pro. I want to purchase a Xone:92 over the DJM-900 Nexus simply because I like the EQ and setup of the allen and heath and the effects on the 900 are something I could just add into the set before doing live (so I think).

The real question is...Can I use the Xone 92 and the APC-40 through ableton or do I need a program like Traktor? Can I use both(APC-40 & xone) at all? Is the Xone 92 the right choice for what I'm looking to do or do I have to get the Pioneer?

What Im looking to do is essentially mix what I made in Studio and add effect while smoothly transitioning. I love the APC-40 and ableton is my program for everything I do. I have never even used another Dj program (not that I wouldn't know how to) and I have found I can do everything through ableton. But I feel that I need a real mixer beyond the APC-40 especially because I am going to be DJing going between two macs very soon.

Thanks for the help!

contakt321

Re: The idea of using Ableton as your master software

Post by contakt321 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:12 am

Those are both way more expensive than you need, and the wrong tools for the job. They represent top notch dj mixers for CDs or turntables.

You will need a midi controller (for tactile control) and a soundcard (likely a 2 in, 4 output) so you can cue on one stereo pair, and send the rest to the master.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:02 am

But I feel that I need a real mixer beyond the APC-40 especially because I am going to be DJing going between two macs very soon.
don't even try with 2 macs if you can't for now handle just one...

you don't need external mixer, live is a mixer too. Your apc40 IS designed to make what you wanna do inside live alone. Check apc40 and live videos, there are tons of useful threads on this forum alone too :wink:

The allen heath EQ is indeed cool but live's EQs are great too once you're familiar with' em.

Live and your actual gear is all what you need, just practice, test, and watch tons of useful tutorial videos

good luck

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Third person saying you have what you need already. Except an audio interface, since you haven't mentioned one :wink:

You'll need that to do cueing, plug in headphones, etc.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Seriously man, hunt around here:

http://abletonlivedj.com

All the info you need for using what you already have. It's capable of more than pro-level results, no need to spend all that money when you don't even know what YOU want.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:24 pm

doghouse wrote:Third person saying you have what you need already. Except an audio interface, since you haven't mentioned one :wink:

You'll need that to do cueing, plug in headphones, etc.
yeah you'd probably need a way to get sound TO the mixer..... or get a mixer/audio interface model
http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/ ... &SubCatId=
http://www.mackie.com/products/d4pro/