Using instrument rack and chain selector

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chrissobo13

Using instrument rack and chain selector

Post by chrissobo13 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:56 am

I've been pawning over how to map out vst instruments so that I can choose which one I want to play, and still keep it simple enough for me to not get confused. I've tried a bunch of options, but still haven't settled with anything. Today I tried putting some instruments in a rack and using sort of "dummy clips" to choose an instrument. Meaning when I launch a clip, the only MIDI date sent is to the chain selector, in which every instrument has its own chain. It seems like a good option when I need a specific instrument for a specific spot in a song.

However, I noticed there doesn't seem to be a way turn the instruments on and off. Will this turn into a CPU problem when I load it up?

BlackMath

Re: Using instrument rack and chain selector

Post by BlackMath » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:38 am

Why not just try it and see if it works?

ploxy

Post by ploxy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:47 am

chrissobo13 wrote:I've been pawning over how to map out vst instruments so that I can choose which one I want to play, and still keep it simple enough for me to not get confused. I've tried a bunch of options, but still haven't settled with anything. Today I tried putting some instruments in a rack and using sort of "dummy clips" to choose an instrument. Meaning when I launch a clip, the only MIDI date sent is to the chain selector, in which every instrument has its own chain. It seems like a good option when I need a specific instrument for a specific spot in a song.

However, I noticed there doesn't seem to be a way turn the instruments on and off. Will this turn into a CPU problem when I load it up?
can you not map the on/off?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:15 pm

If the vst uses loads of memory/cpu even when it is not playing then yes it will be a problem.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:03 pm

I have a big problem with turning on/off VSTs during a set, because often times it will cause clicks and pops and hiccups in the audio when they turn on. That is not very cool when playing. Because I'm playing in a band and not DJing I've usually got a couple seconds between songs that's when I'll turn on the synths and effects I'll be using for the next song.

Everything is set up using the macro knobs in a rack, to move the chain selector and turn on power to the plugs. That has worked out pretty flawlessly.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

FatherSonAndAlcohol

Post by FatherSonAndAlcohol » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:16 pm

You could try mapping the faders of each chain in the rack to snap between min and max values.

chrissobo13

Post by chrissobo13 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Well, I use Albino mostly, so I loaded up like 15 and started playing. Turned on a bunch of effects and stuff to try and push the CPU, and there was virtually no hit whatsoever! Which is odd, because I remember trying something similar and I absolutely HAD to turn off the VSTs to get it to work, but that might have been on a different machine. Anyway, thanks for the input!

chrissobo13

Post by chrissobo13 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Ok, now I seem to have a minor problem related to this. I usually record and bounce down my stuff so I can listen in my car (completely different speakers and environment helps me get a grip on my production woes), however in using this method, I find the MIDI data does not send while recording. So when I'm not recording, I can play along to my set with those VSTs, but when I press record the synths don't seem to receive the signal. Hopefully there's an easy fix I overlooked. Any ideas?