question about loops

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
4johnny

question about loops

Post by 4johnny » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:36 pm

I use Pro tools with rewire to Ableton LIVE for using loops to build a drum track. I usually record my guitar in pro tools to a click track and then when finished, add drum loops into Ableton LIVE. I can choose loops with any BPM from multiple sources and they all play in sync to pro tools and my guitar track.

Why can I not drag these loops directly into pro tools? when I do, they are not in sync. So what is ableton doing to these loops? some type of time compression/stretching?

What is really going on here?

Thanks

enomusic

Re: question about loops

Post by enomusic » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:43 pm

In ableton live preferences under record/warp/launch tab under warp/fades section you have it set up to automatically "warp" the audio loops to the tempo on the application, this is why everything is in sync, if you uncheck these options none of it would sync up. When you bring up the audio into Pro Tools, Pro Tools does not auto-warp your audio it leaves the tempo intact so you must edit the audio manually inside pro tools to match the tempo of what you are doing.

4johnny

Post by 4johnny » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:59 pm

OK thanks for the explanation. So I'm wondering if I could do the same thing in pro tools if I use time compression/expansion on the loops or maybe some other tool in pro tools???
It would probably be more difficult than LIVE. And does Reaper have a tool for this as well?

Thanks

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:08 pm

4johnny wrote:OK thanks for the explanation. So I'm wondering if I could do the same thing in pro tools if I use time compression/expansion on the loops or maybe some other tool in pro tools???
I'm sure you could. I think Pro Tools has an "Elastic Time" feature that works similarly to the warping in Live.
4johnny wrote:It would probably be more difficult than LIVE. And does Reaper have a tool for this as well?
I can't speak to the relative ease since I've never tried it in anything other than Live, but Live does make it pretty straightforward.

I believe Reaper also has a timestretching tool and actually I think it uses the same Elastique Pro timestretching algorithm that Live does.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:30 pm

if you want to use the warped loops from live you can export the warped loop as a file and then drag that file into whatever you like