chord progression arranger for mac?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thegreatupski

chord progression arranger for mac?

Post by thegreatupski » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Does anyone know of a chord creation and progression arranger for mac? Much like the chordbot application for droids? Something that lets you select chords from a list (ex. Gb min7 4/4) with the phrasings and time signatures, and then lets you arrange them in different orders to experiment with progressions? The chordbot app is incredible, but I'd like something on my desktop while I'm working and not just on my phone

nuxnamon

Re: chord progression arranger for mac?

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:56 pm

toontrack EZkeys..

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:57 am

thegreatupski

Post by thegreatupski » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:34 am

thanks a lot guys! i was having a hard time tracking one of these down - they both work for the purpose I was looking for.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:42 pm

antarktika wrote:Harmony Navigator 2 LE
http://www.cognitone.com/products/nav/intro/page.stml
I have version 1 and it's not the most straightforward piece of software in the world by a long shot.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:44 pm

Search this forum, a user created clips for every chord imaginable, colour coded them organised them in a smart circle of fifths way and shared them in such a demonstration of generosity I'm :oops: that I can't remember who it was. You want to try a progression? Fire a few clips, simples

thegreatupski

Post by thegreatupski » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:55 am

yeah - couldn't find what you were mentioning through the search - thats sounds useful though. Just looking for a way to play around with chord sounds and arrange them in certain patterns through experimenting. Chordbot is an awesome phone app for exactly this purpose.

theinfinate

Post by theinfinate » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:16 am

ikeaboy wrote:Search this forum, a user created clips for every chord imaginable, colour coded them organised them in a smart circle of fifths way and shared them in such a demonstration of generosity I'm :oops: that I can't remember who it was. You want to try a progression? Fire a few clips, simples
this i'm sure is the one u were talking about
http://subaqueousmusic.com/production-a ... -of-fifths

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:39 am

or did u mean this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=164553

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:45 am

theinfinate wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:Search this forum, a user created clips for every chord imaginable, colour coded them organised them in a smart circle of fifths way and shared them in such a demonstration of generosity I'm :oops: that I can't remember who it was. You want to try a progression? Fire a few clips, simples
this i'm sure is the one u were talking about
http://subaqueousmusic.com/production-a ... -of-fifths
That looks like the one, I think he had a thread on here to introduce it too. That other link looks to be something similar, with possibly more chords, but I found t,he one at the subaqueous one to be great. He also includes all the clips as midi files if you wanted to use them with older versions of live or different software.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:51 am

Also, while I'm at it, I've got harmony navigator and its quite different from any other software package for audio, not very intuitive at all. Combine that with the fact I don't need that tool very often and what happens is I still feel I don't know how to use it 2 years later. If you want an example of its use the first track off this release had its midi designed in Harmony Navigator with a chord progression I borrowed from the chorus of 'The Fear' by Lilly Allen as a starting point (not really a fan , but yoink!)
http://nuterecords.bandcamp.com/album/t ... ong-player
(Sorry for the painful bio)
Recently I got hold of Cthulhu and I've made one track with its harmonic structure based on Cthulhu chords and I'm very happy with it.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Nothing like a link to music to kill a thread stone dead haha!

justjohn_jj

Post by justjohn_jj » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 pm

You've reminded me of another reason to be eagerly anticipating the coming Live 9 Suite with Max 4 Live.

On my trusty old G4 Powerbook with OS9, I have Redmoon's maxWerk software. It works with OMS and it's written in Max. It's a very idiosyncratic (and often in a good way!) algorithmic composition thing, and you've reminded me it has a graphic chord progression generator.

Using MaxWerk and QuickTime's General MIDI instrument set, I did a whole album.

So anyway, mating maxWerk with Ableton is something I'm dreaming about.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

theinfinate

Post by theinfinate » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:02 am

Dude! i've been playing around with cthulhu…I'm so glad i saw that chord list the other day and noticed someone was looking for it then jumped on this thread cause cthulhu is pretty much what i was looking for! It's rocking my world! I'm a bit stumped on a lot of presets but in regards to what key and scale there in, is there any easy way of deciphering this info? I tried downloading maxwerk but i'm not having any luck with that site.