U-he appreciation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deva

Re: U-he appreciation

Post by deva » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:25 am

crystalmsc wrote:
deva wrote:
ze2be wrote:Regarding interfaces: for me, time is money.

I can create 30 - 40 good, usable presets in a day with an interface like Surge. But perhaps 5 with a modular like Zebra. Its all about one page interface and one click assigning of invisible patch cords.
Surge (which I quite like) does not actually have a 1 page interface. You have to click tabs to see each of the 12 lfo's and if you want to see what is modulating what.

Bazille actually has a 1 page interface. (until effects are added at least). No tab switching at all. That is one of the strengths of the UI...
while we are talking about a one page interface, I just got the Gladiator and it's so powerful. The sound is more into the digital sounding area, which is a nice addition to U-he synth imho.

Is there anything like that (1 page interface with such power) besides the ElectraX? The Synthmaster is as powerful, but the interface is just not as a straight one page as the above. Dune and Refx Vanguard are close, as many considered Vanguard as the Gladiator ancestor, just not as powerful.

ElectraX has tabs for the env's, lfo's, and mod matrix... 10 tabs there...

Sometimes the developers call it one page interface, but if there are tabs for commonly used functions, I don't consider that one page myself.

Another Bazille sound...

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Bazille34.mp3

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:46 pm

Im considering to up the future tracks from 44.1khz to 88.2. Especially for DJs who might pitch the tracks up or down a lot, it might be about time when vsts start sounding as good as Diva.

Beatport has a 44.1 limit, but theres Bandcamp, and lots of smaller labels sell from their own site.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:26 pm

crystalmsc wrote: Is there anything like that (1 page interface with such power) besides the ElectraX? The Synthmaster is as powerful, but the interface is just not as a straight one page as the above. Dune and Refx Vanguard are close, as many considered Vanguard as the Gladiator ancestor, just not as powerful.
I really enjoy single page interfaces as well. Some that I like are impOscar2, Poly-Ana, Aalto, Bazille. Synth squad is also single pane but with modulation visible only when you click the particular mod source button. Then many are largely single pane except some modulations like Massive and Largo, predator which isn't bad.
Professional Shark Jumper.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:32 am

deva wrote:ElectraX has tabs for the env's, lfo's, and mod matrix... 10 tabs there...

Sometimes the developers call it one page interface, but if there are tabs for commonly used functions, I don't consider that one page myself.
from that point of view, the Gladiator also has 6 tabs. But It is so close for being the 1 page synth, that some tasks can be done without using the extra tab.
deva wrote: Another Bazille sound...

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Bazille34.mp3
nice sound, I wonder about the Bazille future after December, hopefully it's going to be a free release for ACE user. It was mentioned before that the purchase of ACE is going to the Berlin Modular when it's released, and Bazille is the part of it. Any info about this?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:11 am

deva wrote:Surge (which I quite like) does not actually have a 1 page interface. You have to click tabs to see each of the 12 lfo's and if you want to see what is modulating what.

Bazille actually has a 1 page interface. (until effects are added at least). No tab switching at all. That is one of the strengths of the UI...
Sorry, I ment Ace. My bad. Its also one page isnt it? I just dont get arround with it. I see what you mean with Surge. Still I often use only one Osc, and the 12 lfos have 12 big visible square buttons, like Massive. Hit one of those for assigning to a parameter, and it will display a huge graphic visual of the lfo/envelope graph at the bottom of the screen. I actually prefer this sollution a lot over just virtual knobs for lfos. I like to see clearly what actually appens to the lfo envelope. However there could have been a mini lfo/envelope curve displayed in the 12 sqare buttons aswell, for extra bird-view one screen effect. And they could even be color coded, with mirrored color on the assigned parameter..

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:35 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I really enjoy single page interfaces as well. Some that I like are impOscar2, Poly-Ana, Aalto, Bazille. Synth squad is also single pane but with modulation visible only when you click the particular mod source button. Then many are largely single pane except some modulations like Massive and Largo, predator which isn't bad.
Nice selection there. Can't wait for ACE XL, release version of Bazzile and L.U.S.H (with Diva's quality) that will not overlap with the Gladiator. The Poly-Ana looks great, if I don't have the Mini Moog Original and Moog Modular V, I will probably get it.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:37 am

Can't wait for these to happen :D

Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:21 pm

Urs mentioned:

"Guys!

Hehehe, yes, a CS-80 is around, and so are OB-X, possibly a Synthex, possibly a P5 V2, even parts of an Arp 2500. We have Synthacon filters, TB-303 filters, Synthi stuff, Polyvoks.

Nonetheless, this stuff ain't easy. We need time and we currently have our brains full of effects and zebras.

The CS is particularly weird to model because it's character is defined by the hardware control (Ribbon, PolyAT) to a large extent. No software will ever come close without corresponding hardware, at least on the performance side..."

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:57 am

crystalmsc wrote:Can't wait for these to happen :D

Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:21 pm

Urs mentioned:

"Guys!

Hehehe, yes, a CS-80 is around, and so are OB-X, possibly a Synthex, possibly a P5 V2, even parts of an Arp 2500. We have Synthacon filters, TB-303 filters, Synthi stuff, Polyvoks.

Nonetheless, this stuff ain't easy. We need time and we currently have our brains full of effects and zebras.

The CS is particularly weird to model because it's character is defined by the hardware control (Ribbon, PolyAT) to a large extent. No software will ever come close without corresponding hardware, at least on the performance side..."
It would be nice to have an IOS ribbon app to compliment an u-he CS-80 vst :wink:

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Sibanger wrote:It would be nice to have an IOS ribbon app to compliment an u-he CS-80 vst :wink:
If its preasure sencitive it wont work on current touch pads.

But there are controlers that do this. Quneo, Soundplane, and maybe others to.
I would love a Korg Nano sized one piece touch sencitive xyz pad for uses like this.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:21 am

ze2be wrote:
Sibanger wrote:It would be nice to have an IOS ribbon app to compliment an u-he CS-80 vst :wink:
If its preasure sencitive it wont work on current touch pads.
I'm not sure about this, but I read that the Alchemy iOS Remote mentioned something about polyphonic aftertouch. Has anyone tried that?

Dedicated iOS Remote
Alchemy v1.5 with the latest update to Alchemy on iOS offers even smoother and more expressive remote control. Change preset, move the remix pad, and access performance controls — all without leaving the comfort of your controller keyboard. Previously the domain of multi-thousand dollar devices, polyphonic pitch bend is new to this update, and offers an amazingly expressive way of playing instruments — especially when combined with polyphonic aftertouch. Also users can now save desktop presets and all referenced WAVs in a single .CamelSounds file, making it easier to move sounds to the mobile version, or another PC.
ze2be wrote:But there are controlers that do this. Quneo, Soundplane, and maybe others to.
yes, the Quneo is more exciting now :)

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:24 am

That's going to be really cool! Meanwhile I'm thinking to get a nano pad or padkontrol for that application and for banging some rhythm as well.

From the last sentence, will there be a dedicated controller for the new Diva with CS-80 model? :mrgreen:

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:30 am

ze2be wrote:If its preasure sencitive it wont work on current touch pads.
The iOS remote for Alchemy has a nice work around for this app:

"Poly aftertouch is sent from the keyboard up/down motion, and basically controls the Poly AT mod source as assigned to any parameter in Alchemy. This will be most useful for users of the full version because you can assign mod sources however you like (which is not possible in Alchemy Player). What we hope is that sound designers will make use of this functionality when creating new presets.

Poly AT isn't available with many hardware keyboards because it's very expensive to implement, so this is quite a unique feature for Alchemy Mobile + Alchemy."

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:00 am

A sweet post regarding Zebra 3 from Urs:

"Actually, we've started to work on Zebra3, that's true. Because we're not Apple and we're too excited to keep it a secret, we came up with a devlish incentive to still get Zebra2:

Price for Zebra2: 199$
Price for Zebra3: 249$
Upgrade V2->V3: 30$
Upgrade from Zebra2 + The Dark Zebra: Free

So, hehe, it really makes a lot of sense to get Zebra2 first. For one thing it's cheaper to upgrade. And then, you have access to a few thousand presets in Zebra2 which may or may not be ported to Zebra3.

Just a note: While ZebraHZ (the "upgrade" coming with The Dark Zebra) has Diva's filters, Zebra3 won't have the exact same ones.

More facts once we know them.

Cheers,

Urs

P.S.: The term "started to work on" certainly means at least 6 months until we'll see anything!

*addendum: While we probably won't sell Zebra2 anymore, we will still support it for a long time. Just like we still have working builds of Zebra1 and MFM1 to ensure that people who have those can still open their projects today."

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:52 am

^^Awesome! :)

bkwsk

Post by bkwsk » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Yay, I'm dying to try Zebra3, Zebra2 is my go-to synth, 80% of my "musical" stuff is donde there.