APC40 v.s PUSH

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JuanSOLO

Re: APC40 v.s PUSH

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm still puzzled by what you think PUSH is missing in step automation.
for example
your step sequencing a beat, maybe the snare, on 1 snare hit you want reverb, enable "automation" turn the reverb knob on that hit.

thats pretty much it, never had to leave the drumpad mode, sequence mode, or engadge any other mode like you would in Maschine or and APC40 or Launchpad etc.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:49 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I'm still puzzled by what you think PUSH is missing in step automation.
for example
your step sequencing a beat, maybe the snare, on 1 snare hit you want reverb, enable "automation" turn the reverb knob on that hit.

thats pretty much it, never had to leave the drumpad mode, sequence mode, or engadge any other mode like you would in Maschine or and APC40 or Launchpad etc.
Are you sure you understand what is meant by "step automation"? It's not at all the same as turning a knob and recording that movement (even though it's great that Live 9 will finally be able to record that into clips, which is something Maschine has always been able to do). Ableton has already admitted here that Push can't do step automation.

Step automation, also known as 'step parameter lock' in Elektron-speak, allows you to make precise automation to individual steps, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJh4FMNhNE&t=05m20s

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:05 pm

I know exactly what it is.
Yet it's just slightly different than recording automation they way I described with PUSH, granted step automation is very precise/specific.
I'm trying to tell you something like that CAN be added, and most certainly someone will by remote scripting, if not Ableton.
And I'm pretty sure scripts like that will be available for download on the web.

PUSH, Maschine and all of those controllers only do what they do "out of the box" based on the coding.
I may not be able to modify the code, you may not be able to, but others are proficient at it and more times than not, generous.

based on that, I dont see it as a missing feature.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:29 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I know exactly what it is.
Yet it's just slightly different than recording automation they way I described with PUSH, granted step automation is very precise/specific.
I'm trying to tell you something like that CAN be added, and most certainly someone will by remote scripting, if not Ableton.
And I'm pretty sure scripts like that will be available for download on the web.

PUSH, Maschine and all of those controllers only do what they do "out of the box" based on the coding.
I may not be able to modify the code, you may not be able to, but others are proficient at it and more times than not, generous.

Wow. You do realize you're talking about non-existing hacks that theoretically "CAN be added" that "someone" could make that you're pretty sure "will be available for download on the web", right?

Well then, why bother discussing missing features in any gear at all when we can just speculate on what could possibly be added by someone in the indefinite future?

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:49 pm

Theoreticals aside I think we shouldn't underestimate what having M4L will mean for Live once it becomes more pervasive -- this gets to the heart of Abe's decision to bundle M4L in Live 9 for free -- it's strategic.

Can you imagine what kind of ecosystem that could grow? Think App Store for iPhone, App Store for Shopify etc... an App Store for Live! =D

There is a very fine line (or should I say large overlap?) between designers/programmers/producers when it comes to Ableton. It's very "hacker friendly" IMO, I think we will see alot of interesting developments in this area -- I know I will be thinking of programming with it for example...

So yeah, there maybe some features that might not be baked in on the "factory level", but we have an opportunity to get *alot* more out of it as time progresses == WIN IMO.
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:42 pm

OzWozEre wrote:Theoreticals aside I think we shouldn't underestimate what having M4L will mean for Live once it becomes more pervasive -- this gets to the heart of Abe's decision to bundle M4L in Live 9 for free -- it's strategic.
M4L is not bundled in Live 9 for free. It's only included as part of Live 9 Suite, which costs extra.
OzWozEre wrote:So yeah, there maybe some features that might not be baked in on the "factory level", but we have an opportunity to get *alot* more out of it as time progresses == WIN IMO.
Like I was saying, you can say that about most other tools that are missing certain features, and opportunities for theoretical possibilities without anything else to support it does not in any way mean that it can or will happen.

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:13 am

humnumb wrote:M4L is not bundled in Live 9 for free. It's only included as part of Live 9 Suite, which costs extra.
Sure, I meant Suite -- what a difference a word makes :)
humnumb wrote:Like I was saying, you can say that about most other tools that are missing certain features, and opportunities for theoretical possibilities without anything else to support it does not in any way mean that it can or will happen.
Sure, but "most other tools" don't have *any* option for any "theoretical possibilities" whatsoever, I think that's the difference :)
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:24 am

OzWozEre wrote:
humnumb wrote:Like I was saying, you can say that about most other tools that are missing certain features, and opportunities for theoretical possibilities without anything else to support it does not in any way mean that it can or will happen.
Sure, but "most other tools" don't have *any* option for any "theoretical possibilities" whatsoever, I think that's the difference
Have your heard of the lua-based tools for Renoise? Do you know about controller templates that utilize scripts and Lemur patches for Maschine? Those are not theoretical. They already exist. :smile:

deva

Post by deva » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:31 am

JuanSOLO wrote:I know exactly what it is.

All that may not be necessary... Step automation is just low resolution automation (like drawing in Live with the grid turned on)

Step automation is limited and useful for drums, not so much for melodies and continuous sounds...

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:33 am

humnumb wrote: Have your heard of the lua-based tools for Renoise? Do you know about controller templates that utilize scripts and Lemur patches for Maschine? Those are not theoretical. They already exist. :smile:
Haha! I see what you did there :)

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:18 am

deva wrote:Step automation is limited and useful for drums, not so much for melodies and continuous sounds...
Not at all. It's incredibly useful for any kind of automation that requires precision which is not limited to just drums. If you're familar with multi-effects step sequencer like The Finger or Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Maschine's built-in step sequencer allows you to do exactly that "out of the box" with both native sampler/effects, or third party plugins.

deva

Post by deva » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:39 am

delicioso wrote:
deva wrote:Step automation is limited and useful for drums, not so much for melodies and continuous sounds...
Not at all. It's incredibly useful for any kind of automation that requires precision which is not limited to just drums. If you're familar with multi-effects step sequencer like The Finger or Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Maschine's built-in step sequencer allows you to do exactly that "out of the box" with both native sampler/effects, or third party plugins.

It is not precise, it is crude... it is low resolution and only moves in discrete steps which can be heard as stepping... if you want a smooth parameter adjustment, no can do... if you want to make a parameter adjustment not on the step beat, no can do...

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:05 am

deva wrote:
delicioso wrote:
It is not precise, it is crude... it is low resolution and only moves in discrete steps which can be heard as stepping... if you want a smooth parameter adjustment, no can do... if you want to make a parameter adjustment not on the step beat, no can do...
Huh? You do realize that Maschine has always had the ability to record automation into clips, which Live still can't do (until Live 9 is released), which is all about smooth parameter adjustments and has nothing to do with step automation, right?

And you didn't get what I meant by 'precise' regarding step automation. It's about automating the step(s) of a pattern when you know precisely which steps (along any musical divisions of the sequencer's grid) you want to automate. So yes, it's about using "discrete steps" which is why it's called step automation and it has its uses and advantages over recording knob movements (which Live can't even do). So for example, you hold a pad representing the step you want to automate and tweak a knob to apply automation to the desired step(s). It's funny you say "low resolution" which makes it obvious that you're not that familar with Maschine. The Maschine hardware has a much higher-than-MIDI resolution (even higher than Kore's higher-than-MIDI resolution) regardless of whether you're recording knob tweaks over a continuous source or applying it to a step.

deva

Post by deva » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:30 am

delicioso wrote:
deva wrote:
delicioso wrote: Not at all. It's incredibly useful for any kind of automation that requires precision which is not limited to just drums. If you're familar with multi-effects step sequencer like The Finger or Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Maschine's built-in step sequencer allows you to do exactly that "out of the box" with both native sampler/effects, or third party plugins.
Huh? You do realize that Maschine has always had the ability to record automation into clips, which Live still can't do (until Live 9 is released), which is all about smooth parameter adjustments and has nothing to do with step automation, right?

And you didn't get what I meant by 'precise' regarding step automation. It's about automating the step(s) of a pattern when you know precisely which steps (along any musical divisions of the sequencer's grid) you want to automate. So yes, it's about using "discrete steps" which is why it's called step automation and it has its uses and advantages over recording knob movements (which Live can't even do). So for example, you hold a pad representing the step you want to automate and tweak a knob to apply automation to the desired step(s). It's funny you say "low resolution" which makes it obvious that you're not that familar with Maschine. The Maschine hardware has a much higher-than-MIDI resolution (even higher than Kore's higher-than-MIDI resolution) regardless of whether you're recording knob tweaks over a continuous source or applying it to a step.
I agree step automation has its uses... and it is also quite limited as I described... if you do a lot of quantized step sequencing and don't play by hand in realtime, that will skew how much you value one over the other... personally, I don't find step automation very important. Most of the time I want smooth parameter adjustment. And of course, smooth parameter adjustment can be stepped just like step automation.

krizgainz

Post by krizgainz » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:51 am

Last edited by krizgainz on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.