Live 9 Pricing

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
massenmedium
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by massenmedium » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:18 am

kent_sandvik wrote:
massenmedium wrote:
radialson wrote:I used to believe strongly in this company. I'm willing to give them another chance and change my signature if they fix the damage within a few days.
The only damage is in your heads.

Do you seriously think they would *deliberately* set some prices way too low (everyone knew they were too low) for one day and then have to adjust it and put up with all this? Really, why would they do that?
Are you in Ableton's marketing department when you are so sure about what happened? Maybe they saw all the purchases and got worried about their profits? Who knows. Anyway, it does not look pretty.
They got "worried about their profits" when people started buying upgrades at the prices they set intentionally. Right?

OK...

Sorry, remind me again *why* they would do any of that? I mean, sure why not, offer to sell some people music gear at ridiculously low prices, annoy some other customers, lose money and then have a load of people annoyed at you when you have to quickly adjust the prices. That's just the kind of result every business wants for an anticipated new product launch. Silly me. Clearly an intentional and possibly diabolical strategy and not a simple mistake at all.

And if I worked for Ableton I would be better off just ignoring you right now.

pedrogent
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by pedrogent » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:24 am

Image

Why is Live 8 Suite Box cheaper than Live 8 Suite?
iMac 12,2 (OS X 10.8.x // quad 2.7 GHz // 16 GB)
Benchmark DAC1 USB
Live 9 Suite

kcearl
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by kcearl » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:27 am

:lol:

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by H20nly » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:28 am

kent_sandvik wrote:Well, me myself I have a hard time believing that a big company does not check their online store pricing before they hit the 'save' button. Or minutes afterwards. So I trust what they put out and assume that's the pricing for at least a couple of weeks.
normally i'd agree with this sentiment, but we're talking about an error at the same time that the site revamp gave us a forum so ugly that users have resorted to customizing their web browser to deal with the hideousness.


and i guess, after my other comments, that i should go on record and say that i agree with the sentiment that it would behove them to make a special deal in lieu of their error... i'm not saying that you should get the wrong price from yesterday per se, but if they have a record of you having it in your cart offering the price you were geared to pay or a discount (say 10-20%) would be good customer service.

having said that... i don't feel that this is a do or die thing they have to do, but more of a courtesy for the confusion that was caused.

massenmedium
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by massenmedium » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:28 am

pedrogent wrote:Why is Live 8 Suite Box cheaper than Live 8 Suite?
You should just buy a load of those now while you can.

OzWozEre
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:47 am

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by OzWozEre » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:31 am

pedrogent wrote:Why is Live 8 Suite Box cheaper than Live 8 Suite?
"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"

I think it obvious that they're still having issues, like others have said, time to give it a few days and let the dust settle...
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

kent_sandvik
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:45 am

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by kent_sandvik » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:33 am

Anyway, my last comment until I've talked to the Ableton reps at AES this weekend, assuming they are available. Or get an email from support so I know the resolution.

If you didn't like the sudden price hike, mistake or not. send email to support@ableton.com and let them know. As my wife said, that was a very ugly way to do marketing.

pedrogent
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by pedrogent » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:36 am

massenmedium wrote:
pedrogent wrote:Why is Live 8 Suite Box cheaper than Live 8 Suite?
You should just buy a load of those now while you can.
Well, yesterday, before I even knew there was a bug, I upgraded from Live 8 to Live 8 Suite (+ Live 9 Suite) for USD194. I came on here this morning and saw there's a huge commotion and the prices have all been changed. Now I wonder if Ableton will still honour the contract we made (i.e. will I still be able to upgrade to Live 9 Suite free even tho' the price I paid was 'wrong')?
iMac 12,2 (OS X 10.8.x // quad 2.7 GHz // 16 GB)
Benchmark DAC1 USB
Live 9 Suite

massenmedium
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by massenmedium » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:38 am

kent_sandvik wrote:As my wife said, that was a very ugly way to do marketing.
*resists temptation*

The thing is kent, it wasn't "marketing", it was a mistake. If it was a deliberate strategy it would have been stupid and useless, but it obviously wasn't deliberate.
Last edited by massenmedium on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

massenmedium
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by massenmedium » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:41 am

pedrogent wrote:Now I wonder if Ableton will still honour the contract we made (i.e. will I still be able to upgrade to Live 9 Suite free even tho' the price I paid was 'wrong')?
I'd be very suprised if they didn't, really.

And if you are still seeing the boxed Suite 8 (w. upgrade) for $202, that's a crazy price.

kent_sandvik
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:45 am

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by kent_sandvik » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:46 am

massenmedium wrote:
kent_sandvik wrote:As my wife said, that was a very ugly way to do marketing.
*resists temptation*

The thing is kent, it wasn't "marketing", it was a mistake. If it was a deliberate strategy it would have been stupid and useless, but it obviously wasn't deliberate.
The 'ugly' part was to hike up the price without a grace period. So they made a mistake on top of a mistake.

massenmedium
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by massenmedium » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:52 am

kent_sandvik wrote:The 'ugly' part was to hike up the price without a grace period. So they made a mistake on top of a mistake.
Well it's obviously deeply traumatised you, despite not actually affecting you in any way.

kent_sandvik
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:45 am

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by kent_sandvik » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:53 am

massenmedium wrote:
kent_sandvik wrote:The 'ugly' part was to hike up the price without a grace period. So they made a mistake on top of a mistake.
Well it's obviously deeply traumatised you, despite not actually affecting you in any way.
As a long time Ableton live user I want them to thrive, not to get into trouble.

freqn
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:18 am
Location: Midwest
Contact:

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by freqn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:01 am

kent_sandvik wrote:
As a long time Ableton live user I want them to thrive, not to get into trouble.
+1
_________________

massenmedium
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by massenmedium » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:01 am

kent_sandvik wrote:
massenmedium wrote:
kent_sandvik wrote:The 'ugly' part was to hike up the price without a grace period. So they made a mistake on top of a mistake.
Well it's obviously deeply traumatised you, despite not actually affecting you in any way.
As a long time Ableton live user I want them to thrive, not to get into trouble.
So for the sake of a couple of people on internet forums, well mainly you, making a mountain out of a mole hill, you want them to reduce their prices to levels that cause them to "worry about their profits.".

Disingenuous, deluded, having a bubble?

Post Reply