Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
duncjam

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by duncjam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Can't you just upgrade to suite 9 and not use max.
It's not clear that Max is an optional install with Suite 9. Besides, upgrading to Suite 9 would amount to paying extra for something I am never going to use.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:33 pm

So? There are plenty of features in Live 8 I don't use, but that doesn't mean I was going to ask for a special version tailored just for me without the features I don't use.

duncjam

Post by duncjam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:53 pm

There are plenty of features in Live 8 I don't use, but that doesn't mean I was going to ask for a special version tailored just for me without the features I don't use.
I take your point - but the upgrade price I've been quoted for Suite 9 (EUR 249) is so high compared to the Live 9 standard upgrade price, that it's clear a substantial premium is being charged for something I do not wish to purchase.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:54 pm

This thread is the worst thing to happen to the internet EVER.

PLEASE DELETE.

:x

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:59 pm

duncjam wrote:
You can upgrade to Live 9 Standard and retain your current Suite 8 components.
How does that work? Does Live 9 not install as a separate application like previous versions? Or would it read the Suite 8 instruments from my plugins folder? Does that mean I would not be able to uninstall Suite 8 after installing Live 9?
All the suite instruments and packs are available separately. If you upgrade to standard, you'd have live standard + a lot of separate instruments.

Next time, you might get a really good deal for suite 9 and free upgrade to 10

:wink:

gp23

Post by gp23 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:06 pm

duncjam wrote:Does that mean I would not be able to uninstall Suite 8 after installing Live 9?
Of course you would. You'd install 9 and when you activated it, you would be licensed to use those components which you bought with Suite 8. There's no problem. If you don't want M4L, just get the standard upgrade. Essentially, you will end up with Suite 9 minus M4L.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm

beats me wrote:This thread is the worst thing to happen to the internet EVER.

PLEASE DELETE.

Agreed. Its like a testing ground for different ways of being wrong.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:01 pm

oddstep wrote:

PLEASE DELETE.

yep. 42 pages of i'm pissed because i showed up to the shoe store for the big sale, someone messed up on the price and they were out of my size.

someone please chime in and tell me how wrong that analogy is :roll:

it's ridiculous that these people feel slighted because they didn't get to exploit someone and/or because Ableton don't make their decisions around each and every user's own personal setup, workflow and life in general.

you had your chance, but ya missed it. face it.

http://www.purses.com

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:07 pm

oddstep wrote:

PLEASE DELETE.

It's perfectly normal. I have several different music apps and frequent a few product forums and EVERY time a company comes out with an update you get a flock of people bitching and complaining about price, features they don't want, lack of features they do want, threatening to sell the product and buy from a competitor, etc etc.

Exact same thing happened not to long ago on the Maschine forum with people complaining about no cross grade price for the new controllers and then threatening to sell Maschine and buy an MPC Ren.

Like I say, these threads crop up with every company when ever they do an upgrade. It always dies down once the product is released (and I doubt any company has suffered that much in sales either).

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:17 pm

puzzlefactory wrote:EVERY time a company comes out with an update you get a flock of people bitching and complaining about price, features they don't want, lack of features they do want, threatening to sell the product and buy from a competitor, etc etc.
You missed off "...I'll just download a crack".

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:19 pm

People are still throwing gasoline on the fuel?

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:22 pm

duncjam wrote:
It's not clear that Max is an optional install with Suite 9. Besides, upgrading to Suite 9 would amount to paying extra for something I am never going to use.
I totally agree with you duncjam

Im only interested in the Suite upgrade and its sounds and features.
Although Max for Live is very nice,its not necessary.Would be a better option,to let the customer decide whether to purchase this or not,as in the current version.

I think,that M4L is added to boost the upgrade price,I dunno maybe I'm wrong who knows.Looking forward to see what the figure will be to upgrade to Live 9 Suite :?:
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

kcearl

Post by kcearl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Hurry up bitwig :)

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:17 pm

david.barker wrote:
duncjam wrote:
I totally agree with you duncjam

Im only interested in the Suite upgrade and its sounds and features.
Although Max for Live is very nice,its not necessary.Would be a better option,to let the customer decide whether to purchase this or not,as in the current version.

I think,that M4L is added to boost the upgrade price,I dunno maybe I'm wrong who knows.Looking forward to see what the figure will be to upgrade to Live 9 Suite :?:

Dude this is how it is in live 9. Buy standard 9 and buy the sound packs you want alacarte. It's all available as one off pricing. Then you maintain your current live 8 devices you may already own, and don't pay for m4l

That said, it's probably cheaper to spring for Suite in the end. You get way more content for less. But they certainly haven't removed any ability to buy one-off stuff.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:57 pm

duncjam wrote:
I'm fairly sure it was quite clear in the Ableton media event, web page about Live 9 and feature comparison charts that Suite 9 has M4L as a standard inclusion. As has been said before, if you already have all the instrument packs you need & don't want M4L just upgrade to 9 Standard. Buy optional add-ons from the store as required...
:D

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records