Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Wilgar Mac

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by Wilgar Mac » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:07 am

Just watched the video of the Ableton Preview Event. Says there are roughly 1.7 million Live users. Of course this probably includes people who bought hardware that came with some ultra-light version which they never used.

A little arithmetic: if 500,000 of these people (less than 1/3) were to upgrade to Live 9 Suite at the minimum $234 price (quoted to owners of Live 8 Suite plus Max for Live), that would amount to $117,000,000 revenue. Of course, that's just according to my Microsoft calculator.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:31 am

Why does Ableton want to have online prices higher than stores
This isn't exclusive to Ableton. I have been able to find cheaper in-store versions of a number of different software tools (including Ozone and Rx2, Ohmicide and a few DAWs at GC)

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:22 pm

agent314 wrote:
This isn't exclusive to Ableton. I have been able to find cheaper in-store versions of a number of different software tools (including Ozone and Rx2, Ohmicide and a few DAWs at GC)
Devs will never undercut their retail partners, or they won't be partners for long.
Image Image

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:20 pm

well i sure as hell won't update for quite a while. considering that live 8 is still in beta and was a complete disaster with features either missing or completely unuseable, with things such as corrupting your projects for no apparent reason (lost quite a few that way), random crashes for no apparent reason and so on, paying 200 bucks or whatever for an upgrade when the last time you did you got a piece that wasn't even RTM is not exactly something i am looking forward to.

also, the person who crashed reaper immediately: H O W?
reaper is incredibly stable. i've never crashed it, ever.
live however crashes all the time, including when doing stupid things such as previewing an mp3, or doing anything slightly related to video.

exper

Post by exper » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: reaper

I have no idea. I just installed it and started it up. Within a couple of clicks it just crashed. Never even made a sound with it!

Illumin

Post by Illumin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:41 pm

I've contempletated ordering the boxed upgrade, but none of them say it has the free upgrade to v9. Does it have to say it like the non-upgrade versions at the stores, or is it an Ableton grace period policy? I've been a little unclear about this so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Anyone know? On Ableton's site I can only find the mention when buying/upgrading through them and nothing about a grace period if purchased through other vendors.
"stuff"

exper

Post by exper » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Illumin wrote:I've contempletated ordering the boxed upgrade, but none of them say it has the free upgrade to v9. Does it have to say it like the non-upgrade versions at the stores, or is it an Ableton grace period policy? I've been a little unclear about this so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Anyone know? On Ableton's site I can only find the mention when buying/upgrading through them and nothing about a grace period if purchased through other vendors.

I got confirmation from ableton support that this is the case so I may get it from musicians friend.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:57 pm

agent314 wrote:

Retailers probably buy large numbers of licenses at a discount from Ableton and then take the risk that they cannot sell them

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:54 pm

bump

RLR_64

Post by RLR_64 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:52 am

Early adopters of Suite 8 + M4L have also been dealing with the 64-bit beta that which lacks support for M4L... and still to this day there has been no 64-bit Suite release. (?)

If I already own M4L and do not desire the new factory M4L devices or sample packs included in Suite 9 [the only clear benefit of upgrading from Suite 8 to Suite 9) than I should have an alternative pricing option. It's not that the factory packs are bad, it's just that I prefer to use and craft my own sounds and M4L tools.

Those who have owned M4L longer than those customers who are participating in the new "Live 8 to Suite 8 + Free Upgrade to Live 9" deal should have an alternative pricing option or coupon. M4L was expensive and has been left in the dark with the latest 64-bit beta.

There is no point in breaking out all of the math... my concern is customer loyalty. Will there ever be a Live 8 64-bit version that supports M4L devices? Or will owners of M4L have to pay a premium to upgrade just to finally utilize the tools they already paid a premium for?

There has been no update on the new Ableton website regarding the pricing/deals since the PR statement was released near the time these threads began circa October/November 2012. These issues are important to me and other returning customers. Any official update?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:12 am

Upgrading to suite 9 gives you max 6.... Worth way more than a couple of devices you're not interested in.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:35 am

Will there ever be a Live 8 64-bit version that supports M4L devices?
I would like to know this as well.

FindSolace

Post by FindSolace » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:41 am

I purchased ableton live 8 7 days ago on the assurance of receiving a free upgrade to live 9 is this still the case?

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 am

FindSolace wrote:I purchased ableton live 8 7 days ago on the assurance of receiving a free upgrade to live 9 is this still the case?
Click on the Ableton Logo on the top of this page and it will take you to the Ableton Website where the current offer is upgrade and free upgrade to Live 9 when it is released, right there on the front page. This offer has been going for quite a while now. If you bought Live 8 only a few days ago (i.e. during this offer) then you are set for a free upgrade to Live 9. Was there anything in particular that was making you concerned that this might not be the case?

re: Will there ever be a Live 8 64-bit version that supports M4L devices?

Ableton have said they are working with Cycling '74 on getting a 64 bit Max for Live off the ground and flying but I'm not sure if that means Live 9 and 8?
I know they are definitely trying to address M4L in 64-bit Live 9 but...8? Why don't you ask customer support?

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

login

Post by login » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Sibanger wrote:
Will there ever be a Live 8 64-bit version that supports M4L devices?
I would like to know this as well.

yes it will be. They have stated they will be avaible at release.