moog minitaur and roland SH-101 - how do they compare?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
störgeräusche

moog minitaur and roland SH-101 - how do they compare?

Post by störgeräusche » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Hey guys
Has anybody here a moog minitaur AND a roland SH-101?
I’d like to know how the two compare –I’m considering selling the sh-101 and replace it with the minitaur. I didn’t get a chance to try one yet, hopefully this weekend if the shop next door will receive some.
I very much love my sh-101 but I also want to get some change in my setup, and since space is getting an issue, a small module like the minitaur would be great.
And with the minitaur I’d be able to save some patches with the computer editor, saving patches by taking pics of the SH-101 is not that cool.
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

Synthbuilder

Re: moog minitaur and roland SH-101 - how do they compare?

Post by Synthbuilder » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 pm

störgeräusche wrote:HI’m considering selling the sh-101 and replace it with the minitaur.
Don't do it. Well I wouldn't now. I sold my 101 and still regret it. It's lovely synth which is almost impossible to make sound bad. The minitaur is a solid bass machine but doesn't go that high enough for those bleepy lead moments which the 101 does so well. Basically, each synth has its own speciality and they would complement each other very well. Thus the ideal choice would be to save up and have both.

Tony

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:16 pm

Synthbuilder wrote:but doesn't go that high enough for those bleepy lead moments which the 101 does so well.
thank you

case closed for me
i'll keep the 101 and don't think I'll get the minitaur, since the 101 covers my bass needs very well.

Gonna have a play with it sometime soon anyway
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm trying to get my mate to sell me his SH-101 at the moment!! :D
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

echolevel

Post by echolevel » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:38 pm

Actually, saving SH101 patches by taking pics IS pretty cool - not least because it's the best looking synth ever made. You claw back a measure of self-determination and a wee bit of dangerous imprecision in this era of mundane digital reliability by having to peer at a mobile phone pic and recreate the settings with a healthy margin of error. The recreated patch magically always sounds better than you remember. It runs on batteries, it's light (especially without the batteries in), it's tremendous fun, it can be extensively modified without compromising the original sound, it's absolutely the best keytar ever made and although nobody should ever, ever sell their SH-101, it holds its value without creeping up into ridiculous 303/808/909 territory. The ONLY feature I wish it had is the accent/slide stuff from the MC202, which would basically make it a more capable TB303 </heresy; I don't give a shit>.

You've made the right decision!

filosofem

Post by filosofem » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:24 pm

echolevel wrote:The recreated patch magically always sounds better than you remember.
Surely you're being sarcastic. The only means of retaining that magic is to turn the units off. Firing them up the next day sounds exactly as they were. Cue sheets nor digital image recreations sound the same. Print it or leave it.

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:36 pm

yeah... keeping it for sure.
only thing is, since i sold my 909 i have hard time getting a signal to trigger the internal seq.. have been doing a lot of sequences with max for live sequencers but programming the 101 internal sequencer is just way more fun.
gonna try with some pulse waves loaded in sampler this weekend, see if I got around to trigger the sequencer.
soundcloud
website

Adam P33A