Recording a mix from decks into Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sammyc1981

Recording a mix from decks into Ableton

Post by sammyc1981 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi Guys.

I'm really hoping someone on here could be an absolute hero and help me out! I have been asked by a promoter to record a mix, which he wants me to do from my decks (which are CDJs and a Pioneer DJM 800 mixer) obviously so he check out my mixing skills. I understand that I can record a mix from my decks into ableton by using my Numark DJ I/O audio interface. The problem I have is that I have no idea what to set my audio preferences/settings to, both in the preferences themselves and the audio track in the session view. I have come across a thread on here from back in 2005 which talks about this exact thing, but I have done exactly as the reply says and I'm not getting any audio response into the track. I realise this thread is 8 years old now and things will have probably changed, but just so you know what I've done, this is what it reads.......

Question: Hi, I recently bought Ableton Live 8. I was wondering how I can record mixes to Ableton from my DJ mixer/CD-DJ's. I also recently bought a Numark Stereo|io to be able to hook my mixer up to my computer. I have been looking through the manual, but maybe I'm just a bit ignorant. If anyone has any input or suggestions that would be great. Thanks!

Answer: Connect the record output on the DJ mixer to the inputs on the Stereo IO. Install the drivers for the Stereo IO, launch Live, open the audio preferences and select that card for both the default input and output. Record arm a track in Live, click on the record button up top, start your mixing and press stop when you're done.

I have followed the above but no joy! If anyone knows what audio preferences and track settings I need to use, your help would be massively appreciated! Hope someone can help! Thanks.

eggnchips

Re: Recording a mix from decks into Ableton

Post by eggnchips » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi Sammy,

It shouldn't be so difficult to do with some clicking about.
If your sound card is selected in the Preferences menu, with the audio inputs selected to be going in Live, there shouldn't be a problem.
Open an audio channel in live select your sound card's input on the 'Audio From'
Play a song into it to see if the audio is going in. Make sure also that MONITOR is set to IN
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS