Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
login

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by login » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 pm

stringtapper wrote:
login wrote:Logic is clearly out of the market economics, Ableton is expensive but at that price point it comes with a lot more content and intruments.
I disagree. Logic's content including instruments and effects at least rivals that of Live Suite.

yeah of course, I was referring to the rest. Cubase brings as much too but it kind of sucks. FL studio at that price point have some good instruments, the whole bundle of FL is good value Also, but more expensive than live.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:00 pm

login wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
login wrote:Logic is clearly out of the market economics, Ableton is expensive but at that price point it comes with a lot more content and intruments.
I disagree. Logic's content including instruments and effects at least rivals that of Live Suite.

yeah of course, I was referring to the rest. Cubase brings as much too but it kind of sucks. FL studio at that price point have some good instruments, the whole bundle of FL is good value Also, but more expensive than live.
Gotcha.
Unsound Designer

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:55 pm

My wife and I are excited about Melody-to-MIDI, and I'm excited about the Push, so we're probably going to jump for this, rather than paying $900 for the Push + Live 9 later. It feels a bit like highway robbery, but at least highway robbery is exciting. :P

serbia

Post by serbia » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:38 am

In the UK cheapest way for a new user to buy looks like buying a push separately from a reseller, and then suite 8 plus free upgrade to suite 9 direct from ableton. would come in at £749

however the suite 9 package plus push is £815 at resellers, so it's a small saving.

Is there any disadvantage that could be foreseen in buying the software and push separately rather than as a bundle? basic economics one would have thought, it you buy these things in bundle the consumer saves. But in this instance cheaper to buy them separate

cheers

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:33 am

Thank you for your valuable input.
Yeah, that was needlessly snarky. If it makes you feel any better, I was alluding to this

login

Post by login » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:41 am

sampla wrote:
login wrote: Compare it to things like FL Studio, Cubase, Sonar, etc.

Avid Protools 10 599
Reason 399
Studio One Pro 399
Ableton Suite 599
Ableton Standard 399
Cubase 7 499
Sonar X2 PRO 499
Digital performer 495
FL Studio Producer 299
Logic 199
Just curious, what are the upgrade costs of those other DAWs, since that is what we're primarily discussing?
I don't own most of those, so I don't know how they compare.
Sonar X1 > X2 Pro: 119 or 99.
Studio One 1> 2.5 Pro: 149
Reason 5 > 6.5: 169
Cubase 6.5 > 7: 149
Protools 9 > 10: 299
Live 8 > 9: 299
Live Suite 8 > 9 : 249 (199 if M4L owner)
Digital performer 7 > 8 : 195

All in USD

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:07 am

some of those do have also had way better upgrade promotions

Like studio one usually runs a 50% off upgrade twice a year, so that can be had for only 75. I think reason usually has a fairly nice discount at upgrade time (let alone free with 5->6). FL studio never charges for upgrades. Cakewalk also runs alot of specials on upgrades, either a large chunk off the price, or recently I think they ran one where they took a big chunk off plus gave you ozone 5 for free

Where as the live suite 8 to suite 9 if m4l owner with discount is only 200, or 300$ regularly

So it really depends if your comparing actual upgrade price, or discounted upgrade price. If you compare actual upgrade price then ableton and protools stand alone at the top by a good margin compared to everyone else. When you compare discounted upgrade the gap widens even further

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:13 am

login wrote: Sonar X1 > X2 Pro: 119 or 99.
Studio One 1> 2.5 Pro: 149
Reason 5 > 6.5: 169
Cubase 6.5 > 7: 149
Protools 9 > 10: 299
Live 8 > 9: 299
Live Suite 8 > 9 : 249 (199 if M4L owner)
Digital performer 7 > 8 : 195

All in USD
That's what I was getting at. Only established "recording studio industry standard" Pro Tools is more expensive.

Logic is a good comparison, because even back in the day pre Apple when Logic's embedded instruments were add ons it didn't cost substantially more to upgrade Logic if you bought all their instruments. Think of it this way for a second: the initial cost is one thing, but the upgrade cost is the killer if you love a product. Logic is $199 for every upgrade as well as buying it initially. Previous to Apple buying it it was around $150+/- for upgrades. Digital Performer is $199 every time, and it doesn't change if you skip upgrades.

Ableton charge you as much almost as buying Live to upgrade Suite, I may just wait for that 33% sale. :?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:15 am

i hafta say the long awaited "special offer" for Suite 8 + M4L owners was a let down. the email made me think that there would be an extra USD100 discount from the already advertised price, but, no the difference is only about USD35. god only knows why they strung that out for so long...

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:32 am

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing. The amount of $$ I've invested in Live including hard-ware caused me to think I'd be shown some love. It was naive to think such a thing. Any companies' primary concern is profit, it's just the way the system works, so no one should really be surprised.

I am an avid Live user and 80% of my time and energy is spent using it so I have to up-grade because anything released after Live 9 comes out will only be compatible w/ Live 9. Ya know, you always have to have the latest version of EVERYTHING! I already own Suite 8 and I guess M4L will be nice to have just for the library of already made devices, because I have ZERO interest in coding. I just like to make music. I already own various compressors and other processors that I regularly use so the new devices aren't that interesting to me. Curves are cool, not really necessary but clip automation is pretty sweet.
All in all I think I may go for 9 Standard.

All that said, I realize it takes a lot of time and effort to implement all this stuff and they have to make $$ somehow or go out of business. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because the pricing isnt that bad, I guess. Just could have been a little better for long time, loyal users.

merges

Post by merges » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:13 am

fishmonkey wrote:i hafta say the long awaited "special offer" for Suite 8 + M4L owners was a let down. the email made me think that there would be an extra USD100 discount from the already advertised price, but, no the difference is only about USD35. god only knows why they strung that out for so long...
This.

Evil_Banana

Post by Evil_Banana » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:23 am

Can anyone tell me what the current upgrade cost is from regular Live 8, to Live 8 Suite (+free upgrade?)

If it's close to 200Euro, I'm downgrading, then upgrading again so I can give the old Suite 8 licenses to my buddy as a present. If Ableton thinks this is a special offer, at least I can turn it into a special offer for someone else.

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:28 am

You'll be able to find this easily enough on the front page - but I don't think you'll be able to give anything away as the upgrade will be tied to the same licence.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 am

merges wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:i hafta say the long awaited "special offer" for Suite 8 + M4L owners was a let down. the email made me think that there would be an extra USD100 discount from the already advertised price, but, no the difference is only about USD35. god only knows why they strung that out for so long...
This.
That
Hd

Evil_Banana

Post by Evil_Banana » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:51 am

Szuumm wrote:You'll be able to find this easily enough on the front page - but I don't think you'll be able to give anything away as the upgrade will be tied to the same licence.
Since I already have Suite, it doesn't show me the other upgrade paths. And yes, I upgraded my Live 8 to Live 8 Suite before when I got it years ago, they're separate license-keys for all the extra instruments/effects not directly tied into Live 8 license. They should be transferrable.

Thanks for the good advice, but I just would like to know what the upgrade price is from Live 8 to Live 8 Suite + free upgrade L9.