Happy with Live 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
v00d00ppl

Re: Happy with Live 9?

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:30 am

quiet_ou wrote:
v00d00ppl wrote:Aside from the rewire issue

There's a rewire issue?

Yes. Run another 64 bit daw as rewire master then run live 9 64 bit. You will get a rewire error message.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:29 pm

not happy. i sold mine v8 and hoped for COUSTOMIZABLE KEY COMMANDS. no commands, no buy, waste of time.
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:33 pm

i'm thinking about selling mine... Live won't do something Ableton never claimed it would. that pisses me off.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 pm

H20nly wrote:i'm thinking about selling mine... Live won't do something Ableton never claimed it would. that pisses me off.
HA!

tintala

Post by tintala » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:44 am

Actually,m I am still pissed they reamed suite 8 owners with their overpriced 9 upgrade.. I will say it where ever I go! ,, they reamed us! now it's 750$ WHOLLY ASS RAPE BATMAN! :x :evil: :evil: 8O

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:40 pm

tintala wrote:Actually,m I am still pissed they reamed suite 8 owners with their overpriced 9 upgrade.. I will say it where ever I go! ,, they reamed us! now it's 750$ WHOLLY ASS RAPE BATMAN! :x :evil: :evil: 8O
Eh? I only paid $200 for my upgrade from Suite 8 to Suite 9.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:48 pm

:? i paid $249.00 US

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:55 pm

I own M4L, so I think I got a discount.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:57 pm

yep. :)

still, where is this 750 number coming from? is that the price with Push?

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Yeah that's the price with the Push. The Push is $600 on here, so yeah, it's going to really add to the price.

I'm waiting for it to hit Guitar Center, and I'm going to blow one of their big coupons on it.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:21 pm

I have to admit that I am beginning to think PUSH may be overpriced (much as I love Ableton) for what you get. Its primary place seems to be as a new muscial instrument, explicitly to take advantage of Live 9's scale and chord Midi effects, but I fail to see how the hardware helps all that much from a conventional keyboard (that can transpose by steps or octaves). Seems to me that it will confuse the issue for new and upcoming musicians....

I think Live's main shortcoming is the fact that one is limited to launching every clip in a row when one chooses a scene. If it was not for that, one could have scenes correspond to chord progressions, with clips in each track variations on the chord (if filtered through an intelligent chord filter, Live 9 would then act as an arranger - one could split the keyboard into melody tracks and accompaniment tracks.

The FIRST step in this process would be a boolean "Launch Clip with Scene (Yes/No)" option in each clip. We could then make our own chord progressions, and develop a "chord filter" like Ableton's "scale filter".. or just manually make sure there aren't any unwanted accidentals.

But short of that, I think PUSH may be an answer (albeit with a pretty face) looking for a problem for most. The APC40 (or mouse with nanoKontrol and nanoKontrol), Launchpad (for drums) (and check out the PUSH emulation at NativeKontrol together with a trackball can do an awful lot of stuff in Live.....

Well, I may be wrong, and I'll have to actually work with PUSH (which means I won't, because of the entry point expense)... but then again, I'm 72, and I've only been wrong once in my entire life, and that was when I thought I made a mistake....:-)

DrWashington

Post by DrWashington » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:22 pm

Personally, I just can't believe this program was ever released in its current state. It's a disgrace. Nothing but problems so far. Hell, I can't even get live to go into fullscreen properly! It works just fine on 8.3 and 8.4, but on 9.0.2, the Windows taskbar won't stay put in the background: it comes right back and cuts off part of the screen!

Just unbelievable. I hate to be negative, but I'm really, really turned off by the direction Ableton has been headed of late. Their new site looks pretty bad, too. It's just crap design. I love good design, but this is Berlin hipster bullshit in action. Fire these people. Go back to something pleasing and easy to navigate.

So, no, I am NOT happy with Live 9. At least Cubase is on a roll lately, and I can actually get some music made without the damn thing crashing constantly... Steinberg are doing it right at the moment. Over at Ableton, it's fucking amateur hour.

Really, really frustrated right now... I've wasted hours fighting with 9. My Saturday is half shot because they, after 3 years, released a turd so they could sell hardware.

FOCUS ON MAKING THE BASICS WORK FIRST, and then, only then, start trying to make everything different.

Bitwig cannot come soon enough. I hope they trounce Ableton. I really do. I've had enough!

Also, why haven't they included a better stretch algorithm? This was the ONE THING I really, really wanted. Complex Pro will get me by, sort of, when DJing, but it smears the transients, narrows the stereo field, and no amount of post processing can make it any better. Computer are much faster now. Why couldn't they have focused a bit more on this, something basic and something the professional musicians might actually care about? Why are they trying to revolutionize something that just needs to be IMPROVED and STABILIZED?

I really don't get it. I'm so very upset with this company, and I feel genuinely cheated.

At least their support guy was very nice and sympathetic to the issues I've been bringing up, but he basically said he's really low on the totem pole over there and they don't listen to him, anyway. This attitude will, if not rectified, be Ableton's undoing. What a tragedy... I've spent thousands on this company at this point, and this is what I get? Unusable software after 3 years of waiting?

Fuck you, Ableton. Seriously, eat a dick.

:evil:

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:43 pm

I dunno, Dr., that seems kind of harsh, but I do see where you're coming from. Live 9's main direction is towards Push, integrating controller wieh software. I just received my Maschine Mikro, and already kind of wish I had the buttons and knobs, but the $300 was a steep premium for that, and I can get by with a trackball and the software.

The sounds of the Maschine Mikro are gorgeous; and I suspect I could doctor Live to do the same thing, so I am really interested in Push when it becomes available, to replace the APC40 - but for now the combination of Mikro and Live with the APC40 works just fine....

But $600 over and above Live 9 is hefty for anyone - but then again, one is paying a premium for being on the bleeding edge of technology.....

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:10 am

Still working pretty good for me. Still happy with it.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:38 am

DrWashington wrote:At least Cubase is on a roll lately
agreed. loving the Cubase update over here.

i'm liking Live 9 though. we'll see what happens when the teething is done.