Put Utility on multiple tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SilverNeedle

Put Utility on multiple tracks

Post by SilverNeedle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:42 pm

OK, so im ready to bounce a track out of ableton and import to logic to do the mixdown. Before i have had trouble with noise doing this, channels that didn't have much signal would then have noise for some reason, so i wanted to put a Utility on every channel with +20 gain or so then bring it down on the master.

I wasn't sure of the best / quickest way to do this in Live, and thought someone may have a nice trick for this kind of thing

cheers

stonee

Re: Put Utility on multiple tracks

Post by stonee » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:31 pm

group tracks.

SilverNeedle

Post by SilverNeedle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:33 pm

good shout, haven't been using live for long, didn't think of bussing for some reason?

I did put a utility on each track with +20 db on it though, dunno why but someone told me (on here somewhere) that live can handle up to +60 or something. Well it can't once the audio is bounced!

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:23 pm

+60? That depends on how you are referencing it. But in reality the numbers don't matter.

Basically Live can handle its individual tracks going into the red but the Master cannot go into the red. However, if you are exporting individual tracks then this might be your issue. You really don't want or need to have anything in the red. 24bit has plenty of headroom.

Turning the gain up on all your tracks to then turn it down is redundant. Your problems are elsewhere methinks.

SilverNeedle

Post by SilverNeedle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:28 pm

yeh it's a weird one - basically i had a problem (on a previous track) with noise which was apparently due to me having my tracks on a low volume ( i tend to have tracks quite low then boost on the master )

Seemed a bit odd, i've bounced thing's now and all's good though.

cheers

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:51 pm

SilverNeedle wrote:OK, so im ready to bounce a track out of ableton and import to logic to do the mixdown. Before i have had trouble with noise doing this, channels that didn't have much signal would then have noise for some reason, so i wanted to put a Utility on every channel with +20 gain or so then bring it down on the master.

I wasn't sure of the best / quickest way to do this in Live, and thought someone may have a nice trick for this kind of thing

cheers
I think now you can save utility as a default track, so it pops up whenever you insert a new track.

Other than that I would just insert in on one track, adjust volume then Ctrl+drag the device to all of your tracks.

Also you could just boost your master fader up and minimize the need of having multiple devices. This would most likely be more CPU efficient.

southsounder

Post by southsounder » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:15 am

savyurrecords wrote:Turning the gain up on all your tracks to then turn it down is redundant. Your problems are elsewhere methinks.
This.

Running low levels inside Ableton will not add noise. Are these tracks recorded externally? Because it sounds more like a gain staging issue while tracking to me. If that's the case, just boosting the volume will actually boost the noise as well. Corrective EQ and/or gating are a better way to handle it once you've got the tracks in Logic.

SilverNeedle

Post by SilverNeedle » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:12 pm

cheers all. I'm aware that it shouldn't make any difference, was initially confused as to why there was noise in the previous project though. The tracks weren't from external sources. This one seems to have worked though, all good at the mo :)