Discuss Push with other users.
artpunk

Re: Push Secrets - aka tiny tips

Post by artpunk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:25 am

humnumb wrote:
panten wrote: Sounds tedious.
Not half as tedious as you, numbnuts!

:roll:

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:39 am

humnumb wrote:
panten wrote:I've been giving mine a prefix of _NAME which serves the same purpose of putting them at the top of the list
Sounds tedious.
YOU'RE tedious. Jesus christ, you give me a fucking headache. Ugh.

EDIT:
artpunk wrote:
humnumb wrote:
panten wrote: Sounds tedious.
Not half as tedious as you, numbnuts!

:roll:
HA! You beat me to it :lol:

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:07 am

panten wrote:If in Note Mode and you push and hold Session it acts temporarily. Allowing you to launch clips then release the Session button to jump straight back into Note mode.
Shit, man. Thank you for this one! That'll keep things live.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:51 am

I've got a tiny tip for ya... oh, shit. I fell for it didn't I??????

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:59 am

If in Note Mode and you push and hold Session it acts temporarily.
AWESOME.

I learned the same goes for Repeat - held down, you get momentary repeat, without having to toggle.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:14 am

The coolest thing about Maschine is once you make a midi file with automation you can drag the midi file into Live's sequencer and the automation comes with it. The other thing I love about Maschine is you can layer drums without having to give up pad space. The drums just stack up on top of one another! If you have Maschine you should try and do both of those things

Neither Ableton nor Push can do any of that...I'm so selling my Push controller and Ableton Live license and buy another Maschine controller. Because if one Maschine controller can do way more than Push and Ableton, I bet 2 controllers can do twice as much!!!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

lococobra

Post by lococobra » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:27 am

Maschine and Push user here...
djadonis206 wrote:The coolest thing about Maschine is once you make a midi file with automation you can drag the midi file into Live sequencer and the automation comes with it.
Okay, and since Live 9 has session automation, all automation is copied any time you copy a clip in live whether it was created by Push or anything else. Except with push since you are recording directly to clips there is no dragging needed (unless dragging from session to arrangement views). This is a non-point.
djadonis206 wrote:The other thing I love about Maschine is you can layer drums without having to give up pad space. The drums just stack up on top of one another!
Push can't do any of that...
You may be right that you can't do this directly from Push (I'm not 100% sure), but I'm not aware of a way to do this directly from Maschine either (unless you're talking about having master/slave pads for layering in which case it does take up extra pads). This can easily be done in Live a multitude of different ways though, including:
  1. Assigning multiple sounds so the same note directly within a drum rack (expand IO section and alter the "receive" value for multiple. Only downside to this way is that the drum pad in the drum rack will always say "Multi" and you can't rename it.
  2. Nesting an instrument rack inside a drum rack cell and layering as many of any type of instrument (simplers most likely) as you want with full individual control over each.
  3. Sampler in multi-sample mode.
If you want to sell your Push and get a Maschine.. be my guest, but this isn't the time or place to be posting such comments. You're wasting your time, my time, and the time of anyone on here who's trying to use this thread for what it's actually for. I'm not trying to start a flame war here, I'm just trying to show you the pointlessness of this.

Also, I can promise you that if you do buy a Maschine you'll come up with a list of things it does poorly just as fast as you came up with the one for Push. The grass is always greener, and this is no exception.
Last edited by lococobra on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:28 am

djadonis206 wrote:The coolest thing about Maschine is once you make a midi file with automation you can drag the midi file into Live's sequencer and the automation comes with it. The other thing I love about Maschine is you can layer drums without having to give up pad space. The drums just stack up on top of one another! If you have Maschine you should try and do both of those things

Neither Ableton nor Push can do any of that...I'm so selling my Push controller and Ableton Live license and buy another Maschine controller. Because if one Maschine controller can do way more than Push and Ableton, I bet 2 controllers can do twice as much!!!
You can layer sounds via an instrument rack yo...

And with Push you just record the automation.

Know what Maschine CAN'T do? Nudge notes at a ppq greater than 128! WHAT WHAT HUMNUMB!!!

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:43 am

lococobra wrote:I'm not aware of a way to do this directly from Maschine either
You can layer samples on the same pad easily from the Maschine hardware. When you are browsing samples, there is an ADD button that lets you add samples to the same pad. You can layer up to 128 samples per pad in Maschine. It's also easy to remove/replace layered samples from just the hardware.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:52 am

aioffermann wrote:Know what Maschine CAN'T do? Nudge notes at a ppq greater than 128!
Wrong. Nudging notes in Maschine moves in much smaller increments than 128ppq with the grid off. Maschine's internal sequencer resolution is 960 ppq.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:53 am

humnumb wrote:
You can layer samples on the same pad easily from the Maschine hardware. When you are browsing samples, there is an ADD button that lets you add samples to the same pad. You can layer up to 128 samples per pad in Maschine. It's also easy to remove/replace layered samples from just the hardware.
Please post one of your YouTubes detailing how to stack drums and edit the individual samples in the stack

Thanks
Ableton | Elektron

Music

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:15 am

humnumb wrote:
aioffermann wrote:Know what Maschine CAN'T do? Nudge notes at a ppq greater than 128!
Wrong. Nudging notes in Maschine moves in much smaller increments than 128ppq with the grid off. Maschine's internal sequencer resolution is 960 ppq.
Sure didn't sound like that to me. Also on the Native-Instruments forum, this guy called noiserot proclaimed the following:
noiserot wrote:When nudging or mouse-editing, the resolution is 128ppq when the grid is off.

Maschine's resolution for realtime input with grid off is 960 ppq.
Also saw some other users saying the same thing. I can assure you that nudging notes in Maschine with the grid set to off does not sound like 960 ppq, it sound like 128...

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=185200

lococobra

Post by lococobra » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:24 am

humnumb wrote:
Guess you didn't read the rest of what I said. The part where I talk about this being the wrong place for this discussion and that this is pointless since both Push and Maschine can do this anyways.

How about this...

We get it, you love Maschine. All hail holy Maschine. Using one is better than sex. I would give my first born just to have another. Everyone understands these universal facts to which we guide our lives. We all give our unrelenting praise to the great NI for fathering such an amazing feat of modern engineering. Truly, Push is inferior in all ways and will never live up to such unimaginable greatness.

Can you leave now and let us unclean peasants busy ourselves with our inane chatter about such an inferior product? I'm sure everyone would really appreciate the permanent absence of your pretentious rants.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:31 am

aioffermann wrote:
humnumb wrote:
Sure didn't sound like that to me. Also on the Native-Instruments forum, this guy called noiserot proclaimed the following:
noiserot wrote:When nudging or mouse-editing, the resolution is 128ppq when the grid is off.

Maschine's resolution for realtime input with grid off is 960 ppq.
Also saw some other users saying the same thing. I can assure you that nudging notes in Maschine with the grid set to off does not sound like 960 ppq, it sound like 128...

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=185200
Actually, people have found that you can access at least 480 ppqn positions using the 'swing' knob method (visually) and that nudging with the swing knob in the step mode you get either 27 or 30 positions per space with 128 grid.

Also, from the same thread you linked to:
"You can make edits finer than 96ppq if you go into step sequencer mode and adjust the swing knob whilst you hold down the pad represnting the hit you wish to shift. Using this method with grid off I believe the resolution is 960 ppqn.

Practically I usually prefer do such adjustments with the grid on 16. The hardware will then indicate adjustments in terms of hundredths of 16th notes (a resolution of 400 ppqn) which is a high enough resolution for most musical needs and I find very easy to get my head around.

Because Maschine note adjustments always relate to the tempo of the track you need to do calculations yourself if you need to know millisecond values of these timing adjustments."

"Indeed. Did not know about step mode res. On my mk2 though it moves in 0.2 increments and skips odd numbers. That would be 480"

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:35 am

That is some pretty fine resolution. Can you listen to what you're working on while in step sequencer mode?