Can anyone explain to me how to the new Live 9 Library works

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dom Murphy

Re: Can anyone explain to me how to the new Live 9 Library works

Post by Dom Murphy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:43 pm

I had high hope for the new Browser but I find it more and more confusing every time I use it. What i find most confusing is the multiple ways it can be browsed. This would be fine & even great if all roads led to Rome but they don't. Some stuff just doesn't appear where you would expect / want it. Therefore the Browser stops becoming browse-able and forces you into searching for exact specifics.

Some gripes:

— Installing non Ableton packs is a nightmare & requires a lot of manual moving & shuffling.
— Forced into using Ableton's predefined categories otherwise devices ends up in a folder called 'Other' with no order bar the device name.
— No M4L presets in the main Browser, instead all presets within Packs (which is fiddly to browse)
— Live8 completely separate & requires a lot of housekeeping by yourself to migrate into new user library
— Installing non Ableton Packs doesn't add them into the Pack section as you would expect (and as stated in the manual)… again requires heavy user ordering of content within the (very) fiddly Browser (try dragging content from one place to another).
— In general stuff is just scattered everywhere. Rather than a single space like Live8, stuff now could be in 4 different and unique areas (Categories, Packs, User Library, Live 8 Library).

Horrible.

login

Post by login » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:05 pm

What is clear to me is that Ableton should had made clear how the browser works and the principles behind it. We are here guessing and discovering how it functions, the manual is useless.

triant

Post by triant » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:15 pm

mdk wrote:The folder names you can and can't use seem to be defined in the 'VirtualFolders.cfg' file in the Core Library, mine is here :

C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 9 Standard\Resources\Core Library\Ableton Folder Info\VirtualFolders.cfg

You'll see each 'virtual folder' has a pattern associated with it which defines the names it'll detect from the user library and packs I presume.

Not played with it much yet, but have been able to add my own top level folder to the Sounds category.

In the xml file I added this :

<VirtualFolder Name="MDK" Patterns="MDK"/>

within the Sounds virtual folder group, then I created a directory :

C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 9 Standard\Resources\Core Library\Sounds\MDK

Now if I add MDK folders within the User Library (e.g. Presets -> Instruments -> Operator -> MDK) and add content then it shows up in my MDK folder in Sounds. It doesn't show up in the Instruments -> Operator section though. Not worked out how to sort that out or if its possible.

At least it's a start.

Before Live 9 the first thing I did was to delete pretty much all the factory content (presets, clips, samples etc..) because I never use them, hopefully I'll find a way to clear all the crap out of this version as well otherwise most of the browser is just clutter. I dont like clutter.
THANK YOU! I was wondering if we'd ever be able to customize this list (or even simply get a list of all the supported subcategory names - the Abes never got back to me about that). Really glad to know I can dig in and come up with my own naming schemes.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Dom Murphy wrote:I had high hope for the new Browser but I find it more and more confusing every time I use it. What i find most confusing is the multiple ways it can be browsed. This would be fine & even great if all roads led to Rome but they don't. Some stuff just doesn't appear where you would expect / want it. Therefore the Browser stops becoming browse-able and forces you into searching for exact specifics.

Some gripes:

— Installing non Ableton packs is a nightmare & requires a lot of manual moving & shuffling.
— Forced into using Ableton's predefined categories otherwise devices ends up in a folder called 'Other' with no order bar the device name.
— No M4L presets in the main Browser, instead all presets within Packs (which is fiddly to browse)
— Live8 completely separate & requires a lot of housekeeping by yourself to migrate into new user library
— Installing non Ableton Packs doesn't add them into the Pack section as you would expect (and as stated in the manual)… again requires heavy user ordering of content within the (very) fiddly Browser (try dragging content from one place to another).
— In general stuff is just scattered everywhere. Rather than a single space like Live8, stuff now could be in 4 different and unique areas (Categories, Packs, User Library, Live 8 Library).

Horrible.
Agreed, I also discovered that I can't create a folder in places if its already part of the hierarchy of another folder in places making it yet harder to organise files, what live gains from this restriction I cannot fathom. The long winded way of getting to my user pre-set files every single time & no way to bookmark these even. I'm not confident when push arrives any of this will make things intuitive.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Great Thread!

Lame Ableton Release!

It's bad.........

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 am

And very poor communication. I think that's what really pissed me off most.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:15 pm

Sibanger wrote:And very poor communication. I think that's what really pissed me off most.
+1

featherodd

Post by featherodd » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Do I have it right that the only native way to add 3rd party Drum Racks to Push's browser is to store them somewhere in your "User Library." These "Racks" then show up in Push's Browser under "Drum Racks > User Library" without any sort of Categorization? Is this correct? Is the ability to categorize Drum Racks something limited exclusively for the built in content?

note: I posted this thread viewtopic.php?f=55&t=192580&start=0 a couple days ago looking for a solution on how to add 3rd party Drum Racks to the browser.

hec

Post by hec » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:09 pm

What on earth was Ableton thinking? How do you completely trash the previous generation system like your entire user base didn't depend on it?

We went from a refind, easily understood library system to a counterproductive, no organization wild west of a browser.

Mind blowing Avid type decision.

dorianjames

Post by dorianjames » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:30 am

:x

I'm absolutely frustrated with the new browser. I'm not sure why this was an improvement. i liked the way the old browser was. It was simple and made sense. I thought the change of the browser was for the Push. However, I was unpleasantly surprised when i got the Push that it browses less on the their dedicated hardware than on my computer. WTF!!

I like the idea of tags and searching your files and folders for patterns but couldn't they make that on top of the old browser instead of an overcomplicated redo. If they keep doing stuff like this, they will end up with a product that is as cluttered and unintuitive as Logic Pro. (no offense to Logic Pro users)

clement.m

Post by clement.m » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:00 am

I will try this, thanks a lot! This is the only serious issue I have with Live9 so far: those Categories are just useless for me if I can not order my own stuff. Though this is still far from being a convenient solution, still gives hope.
MacMini i7 2,3GHz 16GB RAM - 10.10.5 - Suite 9.6 - http://clementmarion.be

xtolux

Post by xtolux » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:49 am

I hope that these videos will be helpful for you ...

http://youtu.be/SXEHbdtazyg

http://youtu.be/2dQADvF0j1U

so ... do you speak frog ?
:-)

xtolux

http://www.xtolux.com

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:49 am

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:
Sibanger wrote:And very poor communication. I think that's what really pissed me off most.
+1
+ 1
ImageImage