Arrangement: Chase Long Notes

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Adrian Myers

Arrangement: Chase Long Notes

Post by Adrian Myers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:58 pm

Ideal Behavior:
When playing a MIDI clip, either through the Clip Editor's preview/scrub bar or by hitting play/space in the Arrangement View, notes which overlap the insert marker should be played as if they start on the insert marker.

This should function exactly like the "Chase Long Notes" feature in Studio One, or the "Chase Events: Notes" feature in Cubase.

In scoring, you often have a number of long sustained elements (e.g. high string tremolos) that are an important part of the sound. It adds up when previews either requires playing from the beginning of what could be a long passage, or adding new notes to make the preview easier.

Angstrom

Re: Arrangement: Chase Long Notes

Post by Angstrom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:03 pm

I've found that the only real solution is to freeze the part in question. Usually these notes become an issue while you are editing some other element further down the timeline, so having the sustained note frozen while you work on the synchronous elements is OK.

There are problems with implementations of a true "chase-long-notes" functionality, which mean that in cases where a pad sound which takes 16 bars to rise to its climax will not be correctly synced when it is started from 8 bars in. Consequently freezing seems to be the best option.

Adrian Myers

Post by Adrian Myers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, freezing is an even bigger problem for me in Live.

When you're working with Kontakt, especially on these giant projects, you want to have a few Kontakt instances each holding a lot of instruments, and a bunch of MIDI-only tracks routed to control them. In that case, Live's Freeze/Flatten commands don't work, and you have to manually route audio to temp tracks and record them in realtime. In Studio One, you can randomly select MIDI clips from thte main timeline, and it does all of the routing and muting for you to bounce them to audio correctly, without making you sit there for 3-4 minutes at a time per instrument or section. So freezing is an even thornier feature request in Live.

Regarding dynamics, yes, there will always be some issues regarding attacks and sustained dynamics with Chase Long Notes behavior. But for most cases, and in every case that I would use it, that is either acceptable or really not an issue at all. Using any orchestral library like Symphobia or a strings library like Sable, the dynamics are all CC-controlled, so they play back correctly with this behavior. I have no problems in Cubase, for example.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:28 pm

This is very true.

Johannes Berlin

Post by Johannes Berlin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:39 pm

+1

cotik1

Post by cotik1 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:44 am

Same need here!
Please Ableton people chase notes!!!!
I just scored a whole feature film without it and it was a complete pain.

RufusDrums

Post by RufusDrums » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:02 pm

Is there really no solution to this problem?
I have the same trouble. There are a lot of notes that I only started in the beginning of the arrangement and have to jump through it while I arrange. It's a total pain in the ass that they don't play if I jump into the Arrangement. There must be a solution somehow?!

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:52 am

I've been bothered by this for more than 10 years now. Would be nice to have it fixed.