Looper plugin & M4L pitch shifting device: solving latencies

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
psyndrome

Looper plugin & M4L pitch shifting device: solving latencies

Post by psyndrome » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 pm

I think the looper plugin could get an update/upgrade.

(Screenshot with high resolution)

(Screenshot with high resolution)

Any hints and ideas are welcome!
Big up for helping!

btw: sorry for my crappy english.

edit: There are no global latencies if Leo's Pitch Shifter is activated! Not even if you are using like me 7 of them - 1 instance per each channel of them. Latencies are only audible of the pitched signal if you crank up the knob "dry/wet" of the pitch shifter. The clean signal still got no audible latencies.

My hardware: MacBook Pro 2,7GHz, 16GBRAM, Ableton Live 9.0.2 Stable x86 | RME Fireface UCX | Ableton Live Suite 9.0.2 x86

mr.ergonomics

Re: Looper plugin & M4L pitch shifting device: solving latencies

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 pm

you should contact the support and maybe link to this thread, it's very uncertain if it read here.

best regards

psyndrome

Post by psyndrome » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:08 am

Hi,

the support was connected too some days ago. But the answer doesn't fix it:

"...
Thanks a lot for your email and for explaining the issue.
It is right in saying that Max for Live can add an unwanted delay.
As you have all of these channels set to Monitor-In, any plug in delay compensation is by passed, so I can recommend that you set the Input to Auto, and arm the track instead.
..."

Jabbon

Post by Jabbon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 pm

just my 0.02 €

being an fft based device one should to take in account also the "length" of the fft.

An fft performed on 1024 samples at 44.1 KHz will have a latency of more than 23 ms which should be added to the one from the buffer size of Live.
sound spatialization content & technologies @ audit-orium.com

akamed

Post by akamed » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:36 pm

Hi Psyndrome,

a simple idea (but functional) would be to use Bome´s MIDI translator to delay the action of the press to the same delay you´re getting with the Ableton Live Looper.

For example, if you guess your latency time when you use the pitchshifting is 20ms, you could create an action in BOMEs for that when you press the pedal, the response is 20ms later, to synchronize with your performance.

I hope it helps.
Ruben

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:54 am

In this instance, I think your solution is to put the pitchchanger in an effects rack, then add another device to that rack in a second chain (a simple delay or an m4l device that allows you to compensate for the difference you're getting with the pitchchanger's output). Instead of using the Mix% on the pitchchange plugin, use the chainselector of the effects rack to crossfade between the two chains.

Latency is a complete pain for me, I wrote my own looper precisely because of this, and it's still a hassle. I actually write my loops to buffer with an offset that I have to calibrate at the beginning of using each Live session, and that's been the best solution for me....

And yeah, Live's looper device needs an update....so much potential, and yet so much FAIL.

Hope that helps,

a
http://www.aumhaa.com for Monomod and other m4l goodies.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:05 am

Well, pitch shifting is a heavy DSP thing, for the time being it's not possible to have it real-time (I mean with no audible latency). FFT needs time to work.

maky355

Post by maky355 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:46 am

latency is there because of pitch shifting. This is not ableton bug. Read about pitshifting plugins. Almost each one of them have latency.