Ableton 9 and apogee ensemble creating clicks and pops on au

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Rebel Ship

Ableton 9 and apogee ensemble creating clicks and pops on au

Post by The Rebel Ship » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:30 am

I just updated to Ableton 9 I'm working on a Quad Core Macbook Pro OSX 10.8.3 and apogee ensemble creating clicks and pops when I play back. Kind of sounds like static or distortion.
I've changed the buffer rate, sample rate changed firewire cables, and hard drives. The drivers for the ensemble are all up to date. I've restarted both the apogee and the Macbook with a couple different configurations.
When I use my old mac with the Ableton 8 it works fine. Not sure what the deal is. Anyone else has this problem? and hopefully a solution.

taoyoyo

Re: Ableton 9 and apogee ensemble creating clicks and pops on au

Post by taoyoyo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:44 am

Did your old Mac run Snow Leopard?

I've had trouble with Apogee's drivers since they updated them for Lion (and since then Mountain Lion) with my Apogee Duet. Support couldn't really help.

Ended up buying an RME Babyface. Much happier.

This might not be the same problem you're finding but hope you find a solution.
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

bodhi71

Post by bodhi71 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:07 am

taoyoyo wrote:Did your old Mac run Snow Leopard?

I've had trouble with Apogee's drivers since they updated them for Lion (and since then Mountain Lion) with my Apogee Duet. Support couldn't really help.

Ended up buying an RME Babyface. Much happier.

This might not be the same problem you're finding but hope you find a solution.
Same here. :x

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:54 pm

Might be a hardware issue. I know that an ensemble was sent in for this problem, the user got a temp replacement that didn't have the problem. And the whole main board was replaced on his.

The Rebel Ship

Post by The Rebel Ship » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:26 pm

I've been on the phone with Apogee about this and they had issues with Logic but when Apple switched to 10.8.3 it seemed to resolve any issues.
I was on the phone with Apple today and we did a reset of the firmware but it did nothing.
I don't believe it's a hardware issue because when I switch to my old Macbook and use ableton 8 it works fine with the apogee. Although, when I installed 9 on my old Macbook running 10.6.3 the crackling and popping continued.
This makes me think it is an ableton audio driver issue.
I'll be on the phone tomorrow with Ableton support so I'll keep you posted on what goes on.

dav3yc

Post by dav3yc » Thu May 16, 2013 6:03 pm

I was having the same issues. It's the same on all apogee products, both FW and USB.
10.8.3 only fixed things for me temporarily.

I did finally find the solution. It's hard to believe, but the culprit was airport. If I turn off wifi everything is better.

So now I just need to run a physical cable into that box and problem will be solved!

Hope this helps others.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:33 pm

dav3yc wrote:I was having the same issues. It's the same on all apogee products, both FW and USB.
10.8.3 only fixed things for me temporarily.

I did finally find the solution. It's hard to believe, but the culprit was airport. \
Hope this helps others.
Not over here. My airport is always off. Changing audio settings does nothing. The crackling starts in again after a short time. The web is full of Apogee crackling and I don't believe it is Live.
A year and a half ago I was using Logic with the same issues. I use to love my Ensemble but Apogee lost their stuff with the apple OS changes. They know there are issues with their drivers but haven't done squat about it. If the problem exists in Apples new OS, I'm departing with Apogee! It's not your gear or Live. jmo
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

The Rebel Ship

Post by The Rebel Ship » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:51 am

Thank you guys for the response. I have tried pretty much every option with my MBP, Ensemble, ableton 9.

I've been on the phone with Apogee, ableton, and apple and no one has a solid answer.
I do agree that the problem lies in drivers of the ensemble.

Apogee discontinued this piece recently and aren't trying to update drivers for it.

Ill def keep you posted if I make any break throughs.

Thanks again!

J

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:00 am

Please do keep us updated. My guess is that being they are dropping the Ensemble, why waste any time updating the driver.
I had a feeling about this last year. I was in touch with them on a regular basis about this (Crackling) and the fact that my Ensemble would not have any control of the Apple volume unless I start the Ensemble first and then boot the iMac. Two grand down the tubes..

I have a first release Motu 896 which still gets driver updates. Go figure.
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

rippertony

Post by rippertony » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Same issue here,
the weird thing thing is yesterday worked properly.
Well, maybe that internet thing is true, as i plugged my iphone as 3g internet today and everything fuck top from then.
If these guys at APOGEE cannot fuc**ing updates the driver with hardware at this price i'll never buy any product from them anymore.
The apogee was supposed to be linked with other ones when they started, suddenly this option has disappear.
SHAME to them.

:)

rippertony

Post by rippertony » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:26 pm

and i have many issues with this live 9 as well.
the integration of max seems to be weak and the core processor managing is really bad.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:40 pm

They may have to update their drivers once Maverick is released? I'm waiting until then and if it's still a no go, bye-bye Apogee. Hard to believe they are going to forfeit their Ensemble customers and get a bad rep. because of a driver update.
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

The Rebel Ship

Post by The Rebel Ship » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:24 pm

I couldn't agree more and Apogee is acting like this doesn't exists.
This is my primary interface to record all of my projects and perform live and we all know it's not a cheap i/o interface. I'm still trying to salvage it but at this point I'm think unless Apogee updates the drivers we are left at a stand still with these constant clicks and pops in the audio.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm bothered by the fact that crackling, pops and clicks while sometimes not present doesn't mean that the interface is working to it's full potential, which I don't believe it is.
To my ears it sounds alright but I don't think it sounds as crisp and clean as it did when I was on Lion at all.. (Just a personal observation)
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:56 am

Apogee seems just a noob trap that induces noobs buy expensive 'pro' goods.

I read an article someone posted that gives similar impression.
http://hobo-tech.com/technologies/livet ... d-glitchy/