Midi note to control pitch? or workaround?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
pre55ure

Midi note to control pitch? or workaround?

Post by pre55ure » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:48 pm

So what Im trying to do is to use one track for midi patterns (sort of like an advanced arpeggiator) and I would like to use another track to control the transposition of these patterns.
But... I can't figure out a way to do this. I thought I could assign the notes (from the first track) to the knob on a midi "pitch" effect (of the "destination" track). But this only seems to work when the input is coming from my controller- it doesn't work when I use a midi clip containing midi notes. So is anyone out there smart enough to figure this out?
Also, I don't have Max4live so that option is off the table.

#1thelark

Re: Midi note to control pitch? or workaround?

Post by #1thelark » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Check your midisettings and maybe consider to install a virtual mididriver, i.e. IAC driver on OSX or loopmidi on PC, I'm not sure if it would work without it.

Send your midinotes to the virtual midibus, f.ex. midi out to midiloop 1 (or IAC).
Set your midisettings for midi output for midiloop 1 to track on (everything else is set to off)
Set your midisettings for midi input for midiloop 1 to remote on (everything else is set to off)

Now when you play your clip with the notes you should be able to see midievents coming in which you can then use for midimapping the pitch device (play midiclip, then select the pitch-device, then go into mapmode). You can also temporarily send notes from your controller to the midiloop 1 bus and then play the same notes from your midiclips.

Note that you can midimap a range of notes by pressing 2 notes when you are in midimapmode (that applies to knobs, faders and clips (transposition range)).

pre55ure

Post by pre55ure » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:34 am

Cool, thanks for the help! - Got it working by using the IAC bus and then recording a clip of me setting the transpose control and playing it back in midi assign mode.
Only thing left is to figure out how to offset the tracks so it always catches the first note of the pattern.

DJ2MN

Post by DJ2MN » Wed May 01, 2013 9:51 pm

FWIW I got this working perfectly last night, using MIDI notes in one clip (i call the source) directed through the IAC bus to transpose another track, i call the destination. Couple of tips for other newbies like me:

* in MIDI preferences, make sure Track and Remote are ON for the IAC input, but only activate Track on the IAC output. I had Remote selected on both and it was causing all sorts of weird things to happen, including crashing Live.

* Turn off "select on launch" in the Record/Warp/Launch preference pane. Otherwise the incoming midi notes will cause Live to switch to the destination part every time it triggers.

* I tried using MIDI offset to shift the source part ahead in time so it would catch the first loop of the destination, but was finding it still wouldn't transpose. I tried shifting the loop points within the source part also to no avail. What finally worked was when I had a lightbulb moment and just shifted the actual MIDI notes in the part to the left by one tick on the grid.. voila. MIDI notes in one part, transposing another, each and every time.

Hope one day this saves someone the hours and hours it took me to figure that out. :)

nennmichwieduwillst

Post by nennmichwieduwillst » Thu May 02, 2013 6:24 am

why so complicated? put the midi-pitch into the track which SENDS the midi-datas. make shur u subrout the recieve-track to POST fx.
Peace. Freedom. Truth!