How Many of You Wish You Had a Place to Get Away to 4 Music?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

Re: How Many of You Wish You Had a Place to Get Away to 4 Music?

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:14 am

I must say I am so thankful that I have separate room... and thick walls... and a hard of hearing lady living upstairs... in my own apartment that I don't share with anyone else.

Much as I love my honey and enjoy spending time with her, I do appreciate the fact that I have my own living space separate from hers and her kids. I would find it very hard to withdraw into my music space and make time for creation if I had other people in the house all the time.

[art]

Post by [art] » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:34 am

nice bump :)

and cool thread!

i often feel stifled and want to get away. but i have it pretty good. i live with 7 other people in a sharehouse, but everyone is pretty quiet.

as a result the best time to make music is on a day off straight up in the morning till 5 or 6pm.

watching vids like that john cleese thing just helps to confirm im on the right path, since i already engage some of those traits.

i think for me personally though its getting to the point where i want to get closer to things.

i dont want to be the anti-social guy in the house just because i want to be passionate. it kinda makes me wanna move out and get my own house.

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:43 am

anti-social guys

electronic musicians...

No, those two social categories have nothing in common

:roll: 8) :? 8O :| :oops: :P

CancerRidden

Post by CancerRidden » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:48 pm

I keep a private music studio in San Francisco for creating music,

I'll live in the studio for months at a time just writing - no friends no bull shit all music

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:03 pm

CancerRidden wrote:I keep a private music studio in San Francisco for creating music,

I'll live in the studio for months at a time just writing - no friends no bull shit all music

*moment of respectful silence*

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:55 pm

The Finn wrote:Interesting thread...
you see...

the real starving student keeps a sample library of his mom's phone calls.

the imposter had to go. thanks Dave.

prebentious

Post by prebentious » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:48 pm

CancerRidden wrote:I keep a private music studio in San Francisco for creating music,

Thats awesome. I'd love to have a studio outside my house with no Internet or phone service. Feels like a pipe dream though.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Yeah it's quite a big deal for me. I live with my fiance and her 11 year old son, in a too small apartment with thin walls and fortunately very easy going neighbors. Still, my headphones are my friend. My fiance is getting her MFA in creative writing and we both have full time day jobs and after work it's things like baseball practice and working with the boy on homework. I don't go to bed until 11 or 12, but by the time the boy goes to bed at 9 or 930 it seems like all (or most) of the creative energy I've had during the day has seeped away. This is a pretty major issue for me. As a result I am here at work, perusing the ableton forums and listening to others' creativity on Soundcloud, daydreaming about being home working on music, vicariously keeping the passion alive. Sometimes on weekends I'll get 3-4 hours straight which feels great, but still too short.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fortunate to be fully employed and have a wonderful family. But my musical outlet is seriously hampered by the situation. Couldn't help but respond to this thread.

Cheers -- here's to better creative situations in the future (I'm not dead yet!)

Chris

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm

morning time for making music is so essential.

evenings are fine for toying around, playing with sounds, learning the textures.

but for being creative old mista braino needs to be firing on all cylinders.

John Coetzee wrote his nobel prize winning novels while carrying a heavy teaching load at UCT

He used to get up at 4 AM and write for two hours every day before the rest of the household got going

Just sayin'...

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:58 pm

The Finn wrote:morning time for making music is so essential.

evenings are fine for toying around, playing with sounds, learning the textures.

but for being creative old mista braino needs to be firing on all cylinders.

John Coetzee wrote his nobel prize winning novels while carrying a heavy teaching load at UCT

He used to get up at 4 AM and write for two hours every day before the rest of the household got going

Just sayin'...
Interesting thought. I wonder if I'd be able to get into gear that early in the morning. Get a couple hours in before work. Worth a shot. But you're right, creativity does require that everything is firing on all cylinders. Just not sure mine are firing at 4-7am :)

Chris

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Thu May 02, 2013 6:24 pm

even if from time to time i make some music with my laptop in the kitchen table after our daughter went to bed, i really need a separate space to make music and really get deep into it.
it's just 10 minutes with the bike away from where i live so not a big deal for me, if inspiration strikes during the days i'm busy with tons of other stuff anyway so i kind of learnt to "freeze" it until i can be in the studio.
Other than that, i can only make music with headphone at home, since my girlfriend hates techno, so another big plus of my studio is a very good monitoring system and acoustic treatment.
Definitively a must for me!
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu May 02, 2013 9:00 pm

If you've got a partner/kids/full time job you need to find the time somewhere. It's pretty obvious that sleep needs to become an option, not a necessity. Stay up late, get up early, whatever. Just do it.
Image Image

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri May 03, 2013 12:42 am

rosti wrote:What i really need is a place with NO INTERNET CONNECTION! This thing is just far too distracting. :D
There's a lot of truth in that. Most DAW stuff is downloadable and G.A.S. is probably one of the biggest distractions in creating music.

CancerRidden

Post by CancerRidden » Fri May 03, 2013 5:55 am

cpyatak wrote:Yeah it's quite a big deal for me. I live with my fiance and her 11 year old son, in a too small apartment with thin walls and fortunately very easy going neighbors. Still, my headphones are my friend. My fiance is getting her MFA in creative writing and we both have full time day jobs and after work it's things like baseball practice and working with the boy on homework. I don't go to bed until 11 or 12, but by the time the boy goes to bed at 9 or 930 it seems like all (or most) of the creative energy I've had during the day has seeped away. This is a pretty major issue for me. As a result I am here at work, perusing the ableton forums and listening to others' creativity on Soundcloud, daydreaming about being home working on music, vicariously keeping the passion alive. Sometimes on weekends I'll get 3-4 hours straight which feels great, but still too short.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fortunate to be fully employed and have a wonderful family. But my musical outlet is seriously hampered by the situation. Couldn't help but respond to this thread.

Cheers -- here's to better creative situations in the future (I'm not dead yet!)

Chris

dont give up chris

I.Am.Sean

Post by I.Am.Sean » Fri May 03, 2013 6:07 am

cpyatak wrote:As a result I am here at work, perusing the ableton forums and listening to others' creativity on Soundcloud, daydreaming about being home working on music, vicariously keeping the passion alive. Sometimes on weekends I'll get 3-4 hours straight which feels great, but still too short.
Man this sounds just like me :(
Not enough hours in a day anymore :(