Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by starving student » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:44 am

knotkranky wrote:90% of the hip hop cats are about hardware, not software imo. Push might change that a bit. maybe

Most of the top dudes are MPC and/or Maschine so the rest follow suit, in general. Too much mucky muck in live for a lot of them.

Pro tools midi is dead simple, solid as hell, and easy to track vocals. Hip hop production is about "simple" and huge vocal stacks.

MPC and Pro tools is the main combo.
Agreed

rakim87
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by rakim87 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:47 am

starving student wrote:I didn't even take the more instruments part serious so you can consider that something I didn't respond to but the 'writing' , I thought that was funny and outlandish, I'll entertain anyone's opinion at any time no matter how ridiculous it is cough cough stringtapper can vouch for that, but his strong suit isn't mathematics
Or he'd tell you that even making a statement like that only makes sense in broad terms.
My apologies if the monopoly inclination was off base, it seemed to fit.

i grew up writing and live with someone who has a creative writing degree so the majority of it looks terrible to me. things like dance with the devil from immortal technique are great but i see plenty of room for improvement in his writing.
ImageImage

stringtapper
Posts: 6279
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by stringtapper » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:57 am

starving student wrote:Btw st you do know he was talking about the foundations of genres in a comparative manner else what would he be using to determine the strength of the foundation in the first place.
There's no concrete evidence of this claim. So whether you're right or wrong has no bearing on what I said. You'll have to ask him if that's what he was doing. Maybe he just likes music with instruments?

And if you're saying that no one can make a comment like his without implicitly referring to other styles of music then I rebut by asking you why you limited your reply to the generes you did. Why leave out classical and jazz? Hell especially jazz in the context of hip hop. :wink:



PS – I'm getting better at math. You have to when coding digital audio signal processing. :mrgreen:
Unsound Designer

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by starving student » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:59 am

I didn't assume that you were even talking about rappers like that but something to consider about his genre of rapper typically can write with many different technics and has them all under tight control under his belt, more often than not this type of writer is putting the listener in a box with the writing, not writing from within limitations of ability iow it's by choice. I'm personally not a fan of immortal technique though, but the type of writer he is is no different than Saul Williams whom I do like and who also will write to you what he wants as opposed to writing to you only what he is capable of.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by starving student » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:02 am

stringtapper wrote:
starving student wrote:Btw st you do know he was talking about the foundations of genres in a comparative manner else what would he be using to determine the strength of the foundation in the first place.
There's no concrete evidence of this claim. So whether you're right or wrong has no bearing on what I said. You'll have to ask him if that's what he was doing. Maybe he just likes music with instruments?

And if you're saying that no one can make a comment like his without implicitly referring to other styles of music then I rebut by asking you why you limited your reply to the generes you did. Why leave out classical and jazz? Hell especially jazz in the context of hip hop. :wink:



PS – I'm getting better at math. You have to when coding digital audio signal processing. :mrgreen:
You're proving my point exactly. And I did mean all of those other genres just didn't want to type them all kinda like when we use the term from black to white, it's implied that we are talking about the yellow red and brown as well. So sure he was talking about foundation and his frame of references are other foundations of course.

stringtapper
Posts: 6279
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by stringtapper » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:06 am

starving student wrote:So sure he was talking about foundation
It's the hubris of assumption ss, whether you're right or wrong. For a guy who likes to come off as humble you never seem to get past that.
Unsound Designer

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by starving student » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:12 am

stringtapper wrote:
starving student wrote:So sure he was talking about foundation
It's the hubris of assumption ss, whether you're right or wrong. For a guy who likes to come off as humble you never seem to get past that.
"Guy who likes to come off as humble" "Hubris of assumption" ..... See how that works :wink:

stringtapper
Posts: 6279
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by stringtapper » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:16 am

starving student wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
starving student wrote:So sure he was talking about foundation
It's the hubris of assumption ss, whether you're right or wrong. For a guy who likes to come off as humble you never seem to get past that.
"Guy who likes to come off as humble" "Hubris of assumption" ..... See how that works :wink:
Ah I see. I'm assuming that you're humble because that's how you come off, but in reality you aren't humble at all.

Got it! Thanks for setting me straight. :wink:

:mrgreen:
Unsound Designer

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by starving student » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:18 am

So why don't you ask him, was he comparing the foundations of hiphop to that of other genres of music, or was he comparing it to something mythological, ...or a personal reference one the likes of something neither of us have ever heard before............furthermore is he now comparing the writing of immortal technique to 'nothing' or to something in the 'something' category he eluded to. I think he knows what he's talking about but I'm not sure you know what he's talking about.

rakim87
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by rakim87 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:19 am

starving student wrote:I didn't assume that you were even talking about rappers like that but something to consider about his genre of rapper typically can write with many different technics and has them all under tight control under his belt, more often than not this type of writer is putting the listener in a box with the writing, not writing from within limitations of ability iow it's by choice. I'm personally not a fan of immortal technique though, but the type of writer he is is no different than Saul Williams whom I do like and who also will write to you what he wants as opposed to writing to you only what he is capable of.
i'm no perfectionist when it comes to chatting on the internet but it's pretty ironic how jumbled that all was as you're trying to educate me on writing.

of course i was talking about rappers. saul williams and immortal technique have intensely different writing styles. what's your point?
ImageImage

stringtapper
Posts: 6279
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by stringtapper » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:20 am

starving student wrote:So why don't you ask him, was he comparing the foundations of hiphop to that of other genres of music, or was he comparing it to something mythological, ...or a personal reference one the likes of something neither of us have ever heard before............furthermore is he now comparing the writing of immortal technique to 'nothing' or to something in the 'something' category he eluded to. I think he knows what he's talking about but I'm not sure you know what he's talking about.
I'm 100% certain that I'm bored as fuck after reading this post.

:mrgreen:
Unsound Designer

rakim87
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by rakim87 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:20 am

starving student wrote:So why don't you ask him, was he comparing the foundations of hiphop to that of other genres of music, or was he comparing it to something mythological, ...or a personal reference one the likes of something neither of us have ever heard before............furthermore is he now comparing the writing of immortal technique to 'nothing' or to something in the 'something' category he eluded to. I think he knows what he's talking about but I'm not sure you know what he's talking about.

i'm not sure you know what i'm talking about lmao

this has been such a waste of time.
ImageImage

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by starving student » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:23 am

stringtapper wrote:
starving student wrote:
stringtapper wrote:So sure he was talking about foundation

It's the hubris of assumption ss, whether you're right or wrong. For a guy who likes to come off as humble you never seem to get past that.
"Guy who likes to come off as humble" "Hubris of assumption" ..... See how that works :wink:

Ah I see. I'm assuming that you're humble because that's how you come off, but in reality you aren't humble at all.

Got it! Thanks for setting me straight. :wink:

:mrgreen:
Nah you're just trying to give me a compliment and I appreciate it.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by starving student » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:26 am

rakim87 wrote:
starving student wrote:I didn't assume that you were even talking about rappers like that but something to consider about his genre of rapper typically can write with many different technics and has them all under tight control under his belt, more often than not this type of writer is putting the listener in a box with the writing, not writing from within limitations of ability iow it's by choice. I'm personally not a fan of immortal technique though, but the type of writer he is is no different than Saul Williams whom I do like and who also will write to you what he wants as opposed to writing to you only what he is capable of.
i'm no perfectionist when it comes to chatting on the internet but it's pretty ironic how jumbled that all was as you're trying to educate me on writing.

of course i was talking about rappers. saul williams and immortal technique have intensely different writing styles. what's your point?
My point was that it sounded like you didn't know why immortal was writing the way he does or why would you compare it to your creative writing class

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by starving student » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:28 am

stringtapper wrote:
starving student wrote:So why don't you ask him, was he comparing the foundations of hiphop to that of other genres of music, or was he comparing it to something mythological, ...or a personal reference one the likes of something neither of us have ever heard before............furthermore is he now comparing the writing of immortal technique to 'nothing' or to something in the 'something' category he eluded to. I think he knows what he's talking about but I'm not sure you know what he's talking about.
I'm 100% certain that I'm bored as fuck after reading this post.

:mrgreen:
Once you figure out that the majority of the post on the forum aren't purposed to keep you from boredom you will have solved that issue
Last edited by starving student on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply