Allow Max 4 Live to send sysex

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
daichtrax

Allow Max 4 Live to send sysex

Post by daichtrax » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:57 pm

request: M4L to send sysex via Live

why?
I love ableton live 9. It really is quite nice.

I am digging max 4 live. It is enabled me to focus on making music AND controlling my external hw in a very easy fashion. Had I not tried it I wouldn't have believed it. Max 4 Live completely smokes all the other Daw's i've been using.

One thing that would make ableton absolute perfect is sysex handling natively.

If that is too big an apple too high on the tree...could we see in a L9 interim release that at least allowing max4live to send sysex to synths via ableton?

Here are the use cases that i have--i'm sure there is more:

1. Korg M1: Rompler sound & mode selection. The M1 has different modes (multi-timbural vs patch) and rom selection switches (internal vs card) that are only settable via sysex. Allowing M4L to slam out the right setting on set load would make using an M1 seamless.

2. Envelope/Filter modulations: roland mks, roland vsynth don't understand CC. tweaking these beasts is impossible w/out sysex send behavior. The mks don't even have knobs or sliders...they are basically preset boxes in live.

D_13

Re: Allow Max 4 Live to send sysex

Post by D_13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:21 pm

I have a DSI evolver desktop control patch that makes creating new sounds for it actually fun (instead of laborious head scratching confusion) how nice would it be if I could integrate it into Live and mappable to any midi controller.

Thats just one small example but there are so many hardware units that could have really nice M4l devices built to control them and make them infinitely more useable if only sysex could be passed. Even a little device that you add to a midi track which would turn off Sysex Filtering would be phenomenal. I'm assuming its more complicated then that though perhaps sysex filtering is a core part of MIDI implementation in Live. Such a shame

daichtrax

Post by daichtrax » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:09 pm

D_13 wrote:I have a DSI evolver desktop control patch that makes creating new sounds for it actually fun (instead of laborious head scratching confusion) how nice would it be if I could integrate it into Live and mappable to any midi controller.

Thats just one small example but there are so many hardware units that could have really nice M4l devices built to control them and make them infinitely more useable if only sysex could be passed. Even a little device that you add to a midi track which would turn off Sysex Filtering would be phenomenal. I'm assuming its more complicated then that though perhaps sysex filtering is a core part of MIDI implementation in Live. Such a shame
yeah--basically every hw box, even modern releases, have some functionality hidden behind parameterized sysex.

i have been building m4l devices like crazy, so easy! love 'em. and the poly evolver does accept a nice healthy range of cc's.

cqma

Post by cqma » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:24 am

+1

Thomasch

Post by Thomasch » Tue May 07, 2013 5:25 am

to make it simple:
give us sysex support!
we are waiting just too long for it, so give it us - now! :P

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:19 pm

I don't get it:

I use PC-DAWs since 1991 and every bloody DAW since then is capable of sysex-sending/-recording
and can handle midi-patch-names except Ableton Live!

I am really angry now. For three years I checked every day for the release of Live 9
and the only thing they created is a dumbass-midi controller for people being too stupid to learn to play on 12 keys!

Please give us the standard-DAW-functions before inventing the wheel again!

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 am

SYSEX support at least for Max for Live "midiout" module would be great addition.
Sometimes, Sysex messages are the only way to set some settings or get some data to/from hardware gear.

It would be good also to catch, record or send a sysex dump in midi clips and to have the ability to modify parts of MIDI messages directly in a list.

uchconveyor

Post by uchconveyor » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:05 am

Flexible Spanner
Whilst becoming a member of a specific work an individual requirements to look at the actual security and safety from the work. Besides this particular, the individual additionally checks the actual work income that is among the most significant areas of the task specifically for the actual employee. In the event that you are searching for Connecting Joints work within payroll after that you must have a diploma within accountancy. It is crucial to operate cautiously simply because you have to manage lots of money in this instance. Should you select professions payroll then you definitely should ensure that you really are a accountable, truthful in addition to capable individual.
Single Fixed Head

hottlungs

Post by hottlungs » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:12 am

This is a must for any hardware synthesizer owner. m4l would be infinitely more useful if SYSEX could be sent.

deejayraoul

Post by deejayraoul » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:38 am

+1

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:20 pm

I had always just assumed that this was possible in M4L even though it isn't in Live. This really holds Live back from being the everything-I-need DAW.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:23 am

jaytee wrote:I had always just assumed that this was possible in M4L even though it isn't in Live. This really holds Live back from being the everything-I-need DAW.
Same here. I use Digital Performer mostly these days for songwriting because of this.
Live will probably always be my live performance DAW, but SysEx is such a great thing for the hardware synths I have, and the fact you can load a patch directly into a song so that you never have to worry about overwriting a patch on your hardware synth is a huge reason.

I thought a M4L patch could send SysEx to hardware synths, this is a disappointment for sure.

humanoidalert

Post by humanoidalert » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:47 am

WHAT??? I CANT SEND SYSEX TO MY BLOFELD? NO PROGRAM CHANGE?

oh no. i didnt know this. this isnt good. why is shit always like this in the music technology world? im sooo disappointed. i JUST bought a blofeld. i cant use it the way i need to? :cry:

DerDahli

Post by DerDahli » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:29 pm

It's really sad that live still does not have full midi support. In this part it still feels like a beta version :-) It has all this fancy audio stuff I love and with m4l there is even a programming environment included.

But it does not fully support most hardware synths of the last 30 years. I was so happy when I had created my first midi control device for my Jomox MBrane but then found out that some of the cc number are skipped by Live so my device can not be used to 100%.

Of course the audio part is more important for Ableton Live but this 'construction phase' should really be over!

>>"WHAT??? I CANT SEND SYSEX TO MY BLOFELD? NO PROGRAM CHANGE?"
Program Change works great! You can set a program for each clip.

stefski

Post by stefski » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:37 pm

+ 1

Ambika needs a M4L editor