Anyone know of documentaries about the history of the bible

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
nathannn

Re: Anyone know of documentaries about the history of the bible

Post by nathannn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:28 am

machinesfuckingoff wrote:
444pio wrote:
Forge. wrote:the st. paul doc. might be this: David Suchet: In The Footsteps of St Paul
check out "The Didache", written around 100AD, early evidence that Rome and the Church was developing.
How anyone could say that the Bible is a bunch of $#$ just shows their lack of reason and rational.
It is the most published book ever, the First book to be ever printed by Guttenberg.. etc..
Also, it is fiulled with beatiful stories and timeless advice. It has it all. It is the greatest piece of literature ever put together, abnd yes it was compiled by man, but INSPIRED by God. Thats why we call it REVELATION. It is REVEALED knowledge..
Before you lashj out and spew hertesy and blasphemy, check yourself and open your mind objectively. I think your doing the right thing by asking sincere questions, after all, you just want the TRUTH, right??
Dont listen to others, research viable sources and learn for yourself.
B.S. I have a friend who had a heart attack and was dead on the operating table for a minute or so until they brought his arse back. I asked him about that bright light you hear about. He said nope. Nothing but vast dark and cold empty nothingness. Basically it sounds like your soul or lifeforce or whatever they call it simply gets absorbed back into the energy collective. We had a shuckles and went out for ale afterwards.
Your friend obviously never died, his heart may not have been functioning properly but he wasn't dead. I Remember hearing once that it may take hours after the heart stops beating and a person stops breathing for the brain to stop all function.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:31 am

never mind the THOUSANDS of people who have profound experiences. Did you look up the NDE stuff BTW Nathann?

I'm sure some of them can be easily explained away, but the ones where they had ear plugs in, zero brain activity and repeated conversations had in the operating theatre and described equipment used they could only have seen from higher up etc are pretty amazing.

Certainly food for thought anyway.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:42 am

Did I look up what?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:50 am

nathannn wrote:Did I look up what?
a couple of pages back in response to your existential crisis I suggested going on a youtube tangent and looking up stuff on NDEs - I did it not long ago and found that very interesting and inspiring making me feel like there's more to everything.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:52 am

Forge. wrote:
nathannn wrote:[ To get the point it has really thrown me into some depressing thoughts and has made me question every single belief I have had. I have woken up in a panic a couple of times thinking " OMG!!! IM REAL>>> IM GOING TO DIE SOME TIME OMG!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: The problem is I now dont know what I believe anymore. I have no fucking clue what is real.

I tell you what —seeing as you're in that kind of space, do a search on youtube for NDEs or 'near death experiences'. I got on that loop a little while ago and I then ended up getting interested and buying the book "Many lives many masters" by Dr. Brian Weiss about past lives on Kindle. (he is also on youtube giving talks and past life regression hypnosis) I found that little foray very interesting and inspiring and it gave me a real feeling that there is more to everything.

Of course you come across some christian ones that see it as confirmation of heaven and hell, and maybe avoid the hell ones, but I would say the majority of them are positive experiences and the general reincarnation supporting ones seem to see this "heaven" type place that people see as a kind of spirit world in between lives. My view is the people who see heaven or hell are just seeing an in-between state and none of it is "eternal" other than in the sense that it is always there but we only see it in between lives.

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:42 pm

Forge. wrote:never mind the THOUSANDS of people who have profound experiences. Did you look up the NDE stuff BTW Nathann?

I'm sure some of them can be easily explained away, but the ones where they had ear plugs in, zero brain activity and repeated conversations had in the operating theatre and described equipment used they could only have seen from higher up etc are pretty amazing.

Is normal to be given ear plugs for an operation? That sounds very odd.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:46 pm

andydes wrote:
Forge. wrote:never mind the THOUSANDS of people who have profound experiences. Did you look up the NDE stuff BTW Nathann?

Is normal to be given ear plugs for an operation? That sounds very odd.
I don't think it's normal for all operations, just for the particular one in that video...I was probably wrong in calling them "ear plugs" - not sure what they called them, but they were something to do with the operation

I think this was on the BBC doco. on it... I think it shows up as one of the main ones when you search NDE on youtube

point being: there are some pretty weird cases, which is enough to qualify it as "worth looking into" IMO

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Ok, if I was researching this, the first thing I'd be asking is can we be sure there is no brain activity? How is it measured? How sensitive is the equipment? Could there be something we can't detect?

There's a lot we don't understand about the brain, but areas have been identified for processing hearing, and storing long and short term memory amongst other things.

So if you can hear and recall things without using the brain, ie when you are dead, it kind of makes the organic part redundant.

I wonder if when I'm gone, my spirit will float around for eternity with this god awful tinitus?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:26 pm

yeah.. there's two ways to approach it - you can watch it the entire time with the sceptic hat on, and find plenty of plausible hypotheses and still find there's a few things that warrant further scientific enquiry, but as well you can watch it as a nice philosophical or even artistic experience just thinking about "what if?" and enjoying the implications.

It's not lilke Charles Darwin is going to suddenly lurch out of his grave and drag his bony undead zombie ass to you and stab a wooden cross in your heart for refusing to believe in the god of materialist evolution for 5 minutes. :wink: 8)
Last edited by Forge. on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:32 pm

andydes wrote: So if you can hear and recall things without using the brain, ie when you are dead, it kind of makes the organic part redundant.
well this is what is fascinating about Sheldrake's "Morphic Resonance"

I think it's entirely possible that some part of the Brain is more of a receiver

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:38 pm

^ "Hear" might be a slight misnomer too — just because you can interpret the meaning of something, does not automatically imply that you got that information via sound waves being translated to electrical activity in the brain

in other words, language is a collection of aural symbols used to convey meaning, maybe there are other ways of conveying the same information, and the use of aural language is just a way of focusing "intent"?

Hows that for the friday night freak out here on WKBH Ableton FM?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:44 pm

andydes wrote:Could there be something we can't detect?
this is probably the MAIN point.

I probably happens on a Quantum level... i.e. Hameroff-Penrose

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Well some people are comforted by the idea that their deceased loved one's are watching over them.

But surely my grandmother wasn't with me at 4am last saturday was she?

8O

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Forge. wrote:
andydes wrote:Could there be something we can't detect?
this is probably the MAIN point.

I probably happens on a Quantum level... i.e. Hameroff-Penrose
Electricity happens on a quantum level, as do chemical reactions. Again, there's a lot we don't know, and it's really really odd, but I'm not sure about the way it's often regarded as the "quantum world", because it's our world.

Anyway, we're straying far off topic.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:32 pm

andydes wrote:
Anyway, we're straying far off topic.
I don't think we are at all

actually I think this is THE topic

The way I'm starting to think of it is like:

No you are not sharing the 4am moment with your grandmother, because her perception is tuned to a different radio channel to yours

i.e. - our visual spectrum goes from ultra-violet to infra-red and our hearing starts from 20Hz-20KHz but we know that is a very small part of the entire spectrum of everything

maybe there is an entire universe of beings that live entirely in the infra-red to "unbelievably-infra-red" and hear from 20KHz to 20 MHz??

:D