finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Post by re:dream » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:07 am

I dunno. They've made only one (very small) mistake, which is to make too much of a media splash early on.

This has had disastrous consequences, in that a tiny number of people are very irritated.

Well, maybe not so disastrous.

Let's hope they get it out soon. Twill be interesting.

thisodd

Post by thisodd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:34 am

Already the name kinda turned me off (Bitwig) lol, but the idea was definitely a good one, or wait, Bidule fused with Live ain't that the same concept? xD, IDK for you guys but all I need is Live/Max/Push, and I am pretty happy, not even thinking about wearing a wig, Ha!

Post by re:dream » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:58 am

http://www.bitwigbeats.com/live-9-bitwi ... udio-beta/
Live 9 vs Bitwig – Why Bitwig Studio is Beta

Everyone and their granny must of seen the new Live 9 announcement and how deflated they felt after such an anti-climax from the new feature set. Of course one good thing did come from this announcement – Push. We hope to see this (Ableton Push) controller working seamlessly with Bitwig Studio eventually (with a bit of javascript), plus it was also kind of confirmed by Bitwig themselves:

“It looks like it is a standard midi controller and as long as there is no encryption/copy protection mechanisms in place it should be easy to do – not only for us but for anyone else as we will publish an open javascript API for controller support!” Source: Bitwig on Facebook

I have seen a lot of people on the twitter channels and facebook comments who have been jumping straight into the new Live 9 hype saying Bitwig have been too late and they will be opting for Live 9. This is something I do not understand. Too late for what? As far as I know Bitwig Studio is also just around the corner and it is still too early to decide just yet. Neither software releases are available yet.

What I will go into are the reasons why Bitwig Studio would be a better choice compared to Ableton Live 9 upon release, of course trying not to be as biased as I am towards Bitwig Studio and Bitwig as a company. Remember these are my own opinions as an experienced Ableton Live user of many years and not affiliated with Bitwig in any way..

Built-in Instruments

Whilst the complete instrument list in Bitwig Studio has not been finalised yet, there is your typical sampler, drum machine and synth sitting in there waiting to be abused. Ableton has been going now for over 10 years and has developed a vast array of instruments especially in the Suite 9 versions. Of course Bitwig has only been developing for around 3 years and has a lot to catch up on, if it wasn’t for Ableton and Max for Live integration in Suite I don’t think there would be much difference between the instrument library of Live 9 and Bitwig Studio.

Who actually uses all the Live instruments by themselves anyways? I am sure more external Virtual Instruments are used specifically rather than those included in Suite? Are these included instruments actually that important for todays professional producer?

Built-in Effects

In my opinion some of the effects in Bitwig Studio sound a lot more warmer and richer than Ableton Live’s which can seem very ‘glassy’ at times. For example, if someone uses the Bitcrusher in Ableton Live, it has a sonic quality that you know when you hear it in a track somewhere that the track has been produced in Ableton Live. The Bitcrusher in Bitwig Studio just seems all that more richer someway if a Bitcrusher can actually sound richer??

Also something to note here is the Max for Live devices is only available in the Suite version of Live 9, which if course in a later version of Bitwig Studio, they will have their own instruments & device builder like Max for Live fully integrated and not just bolted on. Although we don’t know the pricing structure or versions of Bitwig Studio yet this type of integration would be welcome inside just a single version of the software – Bitwig Studio. Why would we need another option for a ‘Suite Version’??

I think a version structure like Reason would be the way forward. To have an ‘Intro’ or ‘Essential’ version at a reduced limited price, then just the full ‘Studio’ software at the standard price.

Audio to Midi Feature

Bitwig: “That audio to MIDI is a feature we have been thinking about since long time ago, and we have some extra ideas to do it even better, but we have to focus in the essentials now. Step by step, we are gonna give you lots of digital love, hold on, the wigs are coming!”

Automation

Bitwig has Clip & ‘Per Note’ automation (Live does not have this?) from the offset. Why it has taken Ableton 10 years to do this is anyones guess!

Browser

Ok, so Live has updated its browser ‘a little bit’. Much better than what it was in my opinion, however Bitwig Studio’s browser is much more feature packed with a tagging system and sorting using metadata. If you are a Native Instruments user with Komplete or Maschine you will understand how powerful this feature is when using a browser in your DAW.

New Instrument Displays

These are actually cool and well implemented in Live 9 where the full EQ window can be activated to a larger size inside of Live. I think Bitwig should simply implement a pop out window for these type of plugins that require it so they can be dragged and pinned onto the secondary monitor screen (something Bitwig supports and Ableton missed out on).

Glue Compressor

Really? Although a very nice compressor, I am sure if a user wanted a better compressor than the standard one built-in they would simply purchase a renowned plugin built by Waves, UAD or iZotope for example. Glue really isn’t an attractive feature that would seal a deal.

The Ableton Live and Bitwig comparison will always be there, but since meeting Dom Wilms @ Bitwig I can safely say Bitwig seem to be more about the future of DAW’s and what new technology can be used. They simply want to make great sequencer software with the view on using new technology and not ‘old hat’ standards – at least that is what I was left feeling after Dom’s Bitwig Studio beta preview. So if you’re wanting a new DAW that makes use of new technology then you should be supporting Bitwig as they seem to look forward and not back.
Last edited by re:dream on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by re:dream » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 am

Are they a teeny bit obsessed with Ableton? How clever is that, in marketing terms?

http://www.bitwigbeats.com/ableton-bitwig-banter/

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:06 am

We can speculate about quality of Bitwig product to come.

One thing has become already apparent: the Bitwig creators are nothing, but a bunch of egotripped assholes.

Skål!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:03 pm

bitwigbeats is just NOT the official board.

you quote a blog post from october 2012

have you seen this: http://www.bitwigbeats.com/bitwig-beats-update-july/

Why arguing on some blog that bitwig beta testers have made???

BTW when I see they "propose" some brand new vids tutorials and packs for SALE in further time when bitwig will be efficiently there...

Fanboïsm is everywhere, ableton, propellerheads reason, fruityloops.

They are beta testing bitwig, it's a bit natural some fanboy mood turned their mind on the subjective way.

Personaly, I'm simply waiting, I'm not hurry.
There will be a trial version for sure.

I can only regret they have promoted their beta phase so hard that the promised further beta invites turned to a dead end.

Are we sure beta testers are still objective after such a longtime and seeing they are still on the live versus bitwig thing?

futile

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:47 pm

That guy from that site is as over-keen about the BitWig product as some ableton users are about Live.
From outside it's always laughable to see, and you know what - those fervent enthusiasts are pretty useless as beta testers, and it's common knowledge. Nobody needs to hear "wow, your function isn't broken because I LOVE it !"
So most companies running beta tests would discount the input of rabid enthusiasts like this guy. In the same way they discount the input of obsessive detractors. "everything is always bad"?

I could point you at a similar fansite for most products . It doesn't prove much more than : some tragic people like to build their identities around products.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:12 pm

For example: A Bitwigbeats t-shirt.

It's really just the middle-aged daw geeks version of fantasy football.
And I mean that in a neutral way...
ImageImage

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:44 pm

The Finn wrote:I dunno. They've made only one (very small) mistake, which is to make too much of a media splash early on.

This has had disastrous consequences, in that a tiny number of people are very irritated.

Well, maybe not so disastrous.

Let's hope they get it out soon. Twill be interesting.
I agree in some ways, however I think they have also done well in putting a 'pending' alternative to Live users and I wonder how many of us have skipped this latest 'upgrade' to L9, because of our interest in a what could be just round the corner game changer... I'm one! :)

The bolded bit.... :roll: a whole lot of people act like spoilt brats.. nothing new there!

Hd

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:13 pm

wow i can't believe i wasted my life reading that giant quote. no offense Finn, but what a load of useless shit.

this in particular:
The Ableton Live and Bitwig comparison will always be there, but since meeting Dom Wilms @ Bitwig I can safely say Bitwig seem to be more about the future of DAW’s and what new technology can be used. They simply want to make great sequencer software with the view on using new technology and not ‘old hat’ standards – at least that is what I was left feeling after Dom’s Bitwig Studio beta preview. So if you’re wanting a new DAW that makes use of new technology then you should be supporting Bitwig as they seem to look forward and not back.
so this guy was wooed by Dom and that means the software is the future. :roll:

i wonder how much wine they had with dinner and what kind of flowers Dom gave him :idea:

tech writing, often only one step up from romance novels.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:52 pm

"new technology" ...
this strangely sounds like a Mac vs. Windows argument..

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:04 pm

H20nly wrote:wow i can't believe i wasted my life reading that giant quote. no offense Finn, but what a load of useless shit.

this in particular:
so this guy was wooed by Dom and that means the software is the future. :roll:

i wonder how much wine they had with dinner and what kind of flowers Dom gave him :idea:

tech writing, often only one step up from romance novels.
any 'writer' that can't use apostrophes correctly should be ignored.

I agree with the spirit of it, people just want to make good DAWs and users just want to use them. the drama here is just bored computer dorks blowing off steam on the web.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:34 pm

^ it reads more like computer dork swooning over another computer dork and his tech.

and yeah DAW's vs. DAWs. he's very possessive as it pertains to Bitwig.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:42 pm

ha! true. it's easy to get too wrapped up in it all and not see the forest through the trees.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:13 am

I made epic music on live today. Who can say that about bitwig?