MIDI and sysex

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
noisemonkey

MIDI and sysex

Post by noisemonkey » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:19 am

Please can the next version of Ableton please have sysex support so that I can use a www.ctrlr.org panel to control my old synth as without that ctlr won't work. There's a topic about this in their forum here : http://ctrlr.org/forums/topic/anyone-us ... #post-5635

This means I can't use it as : More than 3/4 of that microwave XT monstrumWave panel is sysex stuff, all of the dumps are sysex, wavetables, waveforms, even programs, rendering the microwave synths pretty useless in live unless you want to just use it to automate filter or fm modulation sweeps…

I really love live for AUDIO and in the box stuff but it would be great if they could sort this out so I can incorporate my h/w more efficiently.
beats are there to be broken

msepsis

Re: MIDI and sysex

Post by msepsis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:09 pm

+1 on this request!
It's asinine that one of today's apparent leading DAWs does NOT support SysEx in any way.
Is there some justifiable reason for this other than that the developers aren't considering musicians with outboard gear and just assumes everyone uses virtual software synths exclusively?

can you say "cop out"?

daichtrax

Post by daichtrax » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:24 am

i would really like to see sysex as well

if nothing else, allow sysex from max 4 live.

m4l is brilliant. right now i am cobbled in live because m4l sysex out hits a brick wall.

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:08 pm

plus 1 gazillion, i want to record automation for my hardware vintage synths that only understand SYSEX, plus i want to be able to use live to dump memories

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:15 am

noisemonkey wrote:Please can the next version of Ableton please have sysex support so that I can use a http://www.ctrlr.org panel to control my old synth as without that ctlr won't work. There's a topic about this in their forum here : http://ctrlr.org/forums/topic/anyone-us ... #post-5635

This means I can't use it as : More than 3/4 of that microwave XT monstrumWave panel is sysex stuff, all of the dumps are sysex, wavetables, waveforms, even programs, rendering the microwave synths pretty useless in live unless you want to just use it to automate filter or fm modulation sweeps…

I really love live for AUDIO and in the box stuff but it would be great if they could sort this out so I can incorporate my h/w more efficiently.
+1 trazillion

cqma

Post by cqma » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:45 am

Yes, Sysex editing directly from Ableton would be wonderful.
But VSTs that transmit Sysex are working. I'm using a vst to control my MKS-50 via Sysex and it runs fine.

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:44 pm

yes, but it can'T record it, so i cant use my pg to record the automation, that's what pissing me off a bit, that many sliders that i can't use

calande

Post by calande » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:20 pm

So true...I'm disappointed not to be able to record the knob motions of my Drehbank control surface. The sysex data is filtered out :|
Any idea when Sysex will be integrated to Live?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:14 pm

+1 brazillion
ImageImage

pechnatunk

Post by pechnatunk » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:26 am

+1 x Graham's number.

Also - NRPN CC output

and while you're at it, why not output CV signals (with the appropriate audio interface) - Numerology and Expert Sleepers is looking very cool right now, but its OSX only so fill that market gap please.

calande

Post by calande » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:56 am

Still, I don't know how to set all my instruments at the beginning of my tunes. I'm used to reserving a 4-beat bar to send all my SysEx messages to set all my instruments before sending any keys. CTRL or M4L plugins don't seem to enable to send individual SysEx messages at the beginning of a score.

msepsis

Post by msepsis » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:00 am

Wow. So nice to see further pushes on this request here. I requested this for fruity loops back in 2001 and got nearly beat the hell up over the internet.

staplesyrup

Post by staplesyrup » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:40 am

daichtrax wrote:i would really like to see sysex as well

if nothing else, allow sysex from max 4 live.

m4l is brilliant. right now i am cobbled in live because m4l sysex out hits a brick wall.

You can use the lh_midiout object to send sysex out from M4L to any midi port. I have several synths under sysex control using M4L no problems.

daichtrax

Post by daichtrax » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:51 pm

staplesyrup wrote:
You can use the lh_midiout object to send sysex out from M4L to any midi port. I have several synths under sysex control using M4L no problems.
do they work w/x64?

HyperVec

Post by HyperVec » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:09 am

+1 :| I wish this feature in next Live releases too!