SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
triant
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by triant » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:41 am

amortae wrote:Hey Triant Thank you so much for uploading your folder. It worked right away no problem and now my push looks awesome. You rule man. Also thanks to everyone who replied to me with suggestions.
no problem! glad it helped.

in other seapunk news, the notorious OKFOCUS design duo from NYC just put out a seapunk name generator for your next random soundcloud project.

cheers,
? ?666?WAVE ?

tedlogan
Posts: 1343
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:23 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK
Contact:

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by tedlogan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:22 pm

Push finally arrived today, and to my surprise, the LED inconsistency was not that bad. If I'm not mistaken, this is from the third batch. A few very slightly darker/pinker pads, but barely noticeable. I must say this was in a medium lit room in day time, so perhaps in a darker environment it would've been more obvious.

Regardless, I've installed the Seapush custom colour scheme, just because it looks more beautiful to me. Cheers Triant!

On the Push - I've been an Ableton user since live 5, and I've been using the APC40 along with a Vestax Pad one and a KORG mickroKey 37 midi keyboard to play stuff. I was very hesitant to purchase the Push, but I cannot be happier now that I am using it. I haven't touched my keyboard or mouse nor looked at the monitor the whole evening! It truly is a remarkable new experience, and I am in love. Interacting with it is a great pleasure, although I'm sure after the honeymoon I might have a small feature wishlist, but for now - I just wanna learn this thing inside and out, to become skilled in all aspects of its use. The APC40 seems slightly dejected on the side - but once I get deeper into this whole workflow I will probably find great use for it still.

Cheers!

Tarekith
Posts: 17348
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Mine comes on Thursday, and installing this is first on my list of things to do. Thanks again!

triant
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by triant » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:45 pm

tedlogan wrote:Regardless, I've installed the Seapush custom colour scheme, just because it looks more beautiful to me. Cheers Triant!
Tarekith wrote:Mine comes on Thursday, and installing this is first on my list of things to do. Thanks again!
my pleasure! it really is just better than the normal color scheme. ;)

¡¡¡ BUT HEY GUYS CHECK IT OUT I JUST ADDED A SPECIAL BONUS TO THE SEAPUSH PACKAGE !!!

aka

YO DAWG I HEARD U LIKE SEAPUNK

Image

(so i put a seapunk text editor theme in your seapush so you can hack your seapush in seapunk)

<UPDATED GITHUB PAGE>

drez
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:23 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by drez » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Wow triant!!!! 8O

That is so awesome of you to offer the community! Thank you very much for working so hard so we can benefit from it. Brilliant!!!
http://www.twitter.com/dreznicek
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook Pro Retina Laptop, 2.7Ghz i7, 16Gig RAM, 500G SSD, Live 9, Push, Novation SL25 Mk2, iPad (TouchOSC, Lemur, Touch-Able), Reason

Tarekith
Posts: 17348
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by Tarekith » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:53 pm

What would need to be done so we can continue to use this in future versions of Live? Is it something the SkinDefault.py file that we can change ourselves?

triant
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by triant » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Tarekith wrote:What would need to be done so we can continue to use this in future versions of Live? Is it something the SkinDefault.py file that we can change ourselves?
the only updates that should break this are those which change the SkinDefault.pyc file in the Push directory. so far, only the 9.0.5 update has caused any problems. to fix, the new version of the .pyc file needs to be decompiled and re-edited (keeping all the new classes and variables introduced and pasting in the custom color assignments (and, if desired, making new customizations on any new elements introduced)).

i will do my best to keep SEAPUSH updated ASAP whenever there is a compatibility problem. it's not a lot of work, though i still haven't figured out an easy way to decompile the .pyc files Live uses (as i don't know what version of python the remote scripts use). in the case of the 9.0.5 update, drez was kind enough to decompile the default script for us here on the boards and then i just went and transferred over my existing custom color assignments.

if you need 100% reliability, i recommend disabling automatic updates and keeping a backup of your original unmodified Push remote script directory. before updating, restore the original version of the Push folder and use the default color scheme until SEAPUSH (or any other custom skin you wan too use) has been updated.

drez
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:23 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by drez » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:25 pm

triant wrote:
Tarekith wrote:What would need to be done so we can continue to use this in future versions of Live? Is it something the SkinDefault.py file that we can change ourselves?
the only updates that should break this are those which change the SkinDefault.pyc file in the Push directory. so far, only the 9.0.5 update has caused any problems. to fix, the new version of the .pyc file needs to be decompiled and re-edited (keeping all the new classes and variables introduced and pasting in the custom color assignments (and, if desired, making new customizations on any new elements introduced)).

i will do my best to keep SEAPUSH updated ASAP whenever there is a compatibility problem. it's not a lot of work, though i still haven't figured out an easy way to decompile the .pyc files Live uses (as i don't know what version of python the remote scripts use). in the case of the 9.0.5 update, drez was kind enough to decompile the default script for us here on the boards and then i just went and transferred over my existing custom color assignments.

if you need 100% reliability, i recommend disabling automatic updates and keeping a backup of your original unmodified Push remote script directory. before updating, restore the original version of the Push folder and use the default color scheme until SEAPUSH (or any other custom skin you wan too use) has been updated.
Tarekith, I plan on keeping up with the SkinDefault.pyc decompile on my GitHub repository based on what Ableton releases. Should we have to do this with every release? Maybe, as Ableton is trying to make push better and better so they may add things into that configuration element every release. I will create branches for each Ableton release and put that SkinDefault.py file out for the masses. I've got a Push, so I want to contribute where I can :-)

That said, i'm not certain I can keep up with the beta's. I don't generally put the beta's on my Mac (I just don't have time to beta test anymore :( ). I might try to do so, or maybe I can get someone to give me the SkinDefault.pyc file for the beta version, then I'll decompile and post that beta version as a branch as well. I've got the process documented in my Evernote, I've got the correct version of python installed and can find out the version if Ableton updates it (which I don't think will happen anytime soon). If you try to decompile with the wrong python version, things don't go to plan :-)

I completely agree with triant about backing up your original and unmodified remote script directory. I'm probably going to do that in my Github repository as well so I can "time travel" to whatever state I need it to be in. Source control is king!
http://www.twitter.com/dreznicek
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook Pro Retina Laptop, 2.7Ghz i7, 16Gig RAM, 500G SSD, Live 9, Push, Novation SL25 Mk2, iPad (TouchOSC, Lemur, Touch-Able), Reason

triant
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by triant » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:50 pm

sweet, drez, thanks for holdin it down! helps me rest easier, it does.

lyovino
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 3:29 am

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by lyovino » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:49 am

triant wrote: if you need 100% reliability, i recommend disabling automatic updates and keeping a backup of your original unmodified Push remote script directory. before updating, restore the original version of the Push folder and use the default color scheme until SEAPUSH (or any other custom skin you wan too use) has been updated.
I have my Push default folder backed up, but all this time I was thinking that if Live does it's auto update that Push would just revert back to default on it's own. Then I could replace it with the updated Seapush. Is this incorrect?
iMac, Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 16GB
Yosemite, Live 9.xx Suite (64- bit)
Push, Apogee Ensemble

drez
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:23 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by drez » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:03 am

lyovino wrote:
triant wrote: if you need 100% reliability, i recommend disabling automatic updates and keeping a backup of your original unmodified Push remote script directory. before updating, restore the original version of the Push folder and use the default color scheme until SEAPUSH (or any other custom skin you wan too use) has been updated.
I have my Push default folder backed up, but all this time I was thinking that if Live does it's auto update that Push would just revert back to default on it's own. Then I could replace it with the updated Seapush. Is this incorrect?
This is correct, but only assuming that the skin files still compatible with versions past 9.0.5. It's best to back up your customized file so that you can make those changes to the next version that I decompile. We just don't know what Ableton will do to that file, but my guess is that more changes will occur because they've already changed. Ableton is going to try to improve the product, so this will most likely not be that last time the file format or added config key/values pop up. That's a good thing! It means they are making our investment better :)
http://www.twitter.com/dreznicek
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook Pro Retina Laptop, 2.7Ghz i7, 16Gig RAM, 500G SSD, Live 9, Push, Novation SL25 Mk2, iPad (TouchOSC, Lemur, Touch-Able), Reason

triant
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by triant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:18 am

lyovino wrote:
triant wrote: if you need 100% reliability, i recommend disabling automatic updates and keeping a backup of your original unmodified Push remote script directory. before updating, restore the original version of the Push folder and use the default color scheme until SEAPUSH (or any other custom skin you wan too use) has been updated.
I have my Push default folder backed up, but all this time I was thinking that if Live does it's auto update that Push would just revert back to default on it's own. Then I could replace it with the updated Seapush. Is this incorrect?
basically, the .pyc file (which comes in the folder by default) will be updated, but the decompiled .py file will not be updated since it's not expected to be there by the updater. then when ableton runs, the .py file will be compiled and will overwrite the updated .pyc file with an out-of-date .pyc file, breaking compatibility. you cannot then just remove the modified .py file because the updated .pyc file has already been overwritten.

thus, the gist of it is: before updating to a version of live that changes the SkinDefault.pyc file, you need to restore the original version of the folder (or at least remove the seapush file); thus auto-updates should be disabled.

(I made this mistake when updating to 9.0.5 - I had a backup of my OLD push folder but no copy available of the new version of SkinDefault.pyc, which had been overwritten by the presence of my (now out-of-date) 9.0.4 version of seapush. so to fix it i had to download a fresh copy of live in order to get the updated files. i then had to wait for someone (i.e. drez) to decompile the new file so i could update seapush, which is when i decided to share it.)

lyovino
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 3:29 am

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by lyovino » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks triant, deselecting auto update right now. Your post saved me a future headache.
iMac, Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 16GB
Yosemite, Live 9.xx Suite (64- bit)
Push, Apogee Ensemble

triant
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by triant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:24 pm

n/p; definitely adds a bit more headache either way but for me it's worth it. :)

Tarekith
Posts: 17348
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: SEAPUSH // seapunk color scheme for Push (v.9.0.5)

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Agreed, this theme is so much more appealing to me versus the stock white and blue. Easier on the eyes in a darker studio like mine too. Thanks again you guys!

Post Reply