Midi click out using a 2x2 audio interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
maylortaylor

Midi click out using a 2x2 audio interface

Post by maylortaylor » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:20 pm

I have a Lexicon Lambda 2x2 audio interface that does me fine for now. I want to upgrade eventually but it's further down on the list than other stuff.

What i want is to be able to hear my click track separate from my output. That way i can give the click to my drummer or just have it for myself so i can play live along to my tracks without letting the audience hear my click track.

Is this possible on a 2x2 audio interface?
Last edited by maylortaylor on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

divonic

Re: Midi out using a 2x2 audio interface

Post by divonic » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:45 pm

the title of your post is "MIDI out on a 2x2 audio interface" but your question has nothing to do with MIDI.

The answer to your actual question is yes and no. I'm not familiar with the Lambda but this answer should apply to any 2 in 2 out audio interface. If you don't mind each signal being mono then, yes you can have two separate signals coming out of your soundcard. but if you want a stereo signal then No you only get one signal.

maylortaylor

Re: Midi click out using a 2x2 audio interface

Post by maylortaylor » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I changed the title to MIDI CLICK out..which is what i want.

And i thought that it was possible that way. Makes sense now.

I know in my room, when i'm just messin around, stereo isn't that big of a deal but in a live setting, with a good PA, would it be noticeable if i was running mono?

Would the entire crowd be able to tell a difference or would just the audiophiles in the crowd be able to tell?

I'm guessing that i would just loose my left and right pan (which i dont do on any tracks).

Also, if i decide to go this route, is there any workaround? such as 'spreading' the sound out so it sounds more stereoscopic?

yur2die4

Re: Midi click out using a 2x2 audio interface

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:31 pm

A lot of live systems are mono.

If you aren't actively panning things, then the only things you'd have to worry about are fx and maybe synth settings.

Like, a chorus or a ping pong delay would probably be in stereo. If summed down, you may or may not have cancellation.

Hopefully there is a 'sound guy' there that you can talk to. He might help make sure you sound good.