Anyone here paint? As in Art that is !

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
earthloop

Anyone here paint? As in Art that is !

Post by earthloop » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Just decided after years of photography I have want to make the leap into painting. I have some art theory and history education but not a lot of practical painting training. I was going to try to educate myself as I have plenty of ideas but I wondered if anyone else has gone down this path and has any experience/knowledge to share.

I will be using Acrylics mainly and am interested in abstract and impressionism styles (because I am not great at drawing lol) and using my knowledge of light and colour from photography to help. Any advice would be welcome as I am starting to realise that this is an expensive 'hobby'! Not that I am approaching it as a hobby though: I would love to paint professionally.

Cheers! :)

Galt

Re: Anyone here paint? As in Art that is !

Post by Galt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:39 pm

1. Be artistic
2. Be talented
3. Don't be untalented

:x

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:48 am

Galt wrote:1. Be artistic
2. Be talented
3. Don't be untalented

Already got that covered mate ;-)

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:00 am

hi

i dont do much painting currently but i used to do quite a bit a few years ago. like you, i know a bit about it with education and i visit a fair few galleries as well. i havent really got the practical skills to do accurate representations of what i see (i failed art at school) so i have gone down the collage/abstract route and have tried to make work which represent thoughts and ideas.

i like collage and use found images from magazines (old national geographics are pretty good) and images that just seem to turn up into my life. mixing these up with acrylic gets me where i want to go.
i have photocopied images and enlarged them and painted over them in black and white too - it's a good cheat for painting an image that i cant draw :wink:
i tend to varnish them after too as i like the finished effect - the way it seals the different textures of paint and paper together

oils are fun, but a whole different ball game. i mainly use them because i love the way they smell. they mix together totally differently to acrylics and take ages to dry

here's some of the bits ive done in the past -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79226406@N ... 470491743/

some are a bit meh now i guess but i'm pretty fond of some of them and have got them hung up at home. when you get some stuff sorted out, post it up and let's have a look

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks for that mate! Some nice works there. Different to what I want to do, but I like the opportunities collage presents to make social/political critiques. I also am not very good at drawing so abstract and impressionism is my direction too :-). With that (especially impressionism) you can be pretty vague when it comes to painting people, buildings etc.

I decided to start researching on the net because art classes are expensive here and then there are the materials (paint etc etc etc!!!). Anyway, when I finally decide on a photography web site host I will post some of my works. Just so hard on a small income to do all of these things!

Cheers. :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Don’t spend a lot of time on the brushslutz site. First master the brush you already have.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:32 pm

+1 for the trowel method

and dont buy linseed oil to thin oils or brush cleaner from an art shop, it'll cost loads. buy it from an ironmongers 8)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:26 am

My mum does sketchart basically just all with a pencil:

This is one done as a comission in Pastals. Photo was submitted to my mum from a camera phone and if you were to just look at this you would sweare it was a photo, not a sketch.

She has no formal qualifications or even a history of doing it but she has made her own business and does commissions of sketches for people round the world. Animals are the things she likes drawing because it's just easier to sketch in detail and typically are more interesting to look at than people.

She hunts for images from people round the world then asks if she can do a sketch of them. She also does pastels and charcoal but the pencil sketches are my favourites.

http://www.drawnwild.com

Some of the stuff is amazing, i'm always impressed with her skill. Our whole family is creative and she just decided to pick up a pencil one day and have a go sketching something. Never know what possibilities lie within sometimes.

I don't mind saying I am proud of my mum!
Last edited by jestermgee on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:20 am

8O
ImageImage

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Amazing...and inspirational. Thanks jestermgee! :D

crofter

Post by crofter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:29 pm

Excellent stuff, your mum is very talented.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:01 pm

those drawings are incredible, i might as well pack up and go home 8O

really good

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:10 pm

slatepipe wrote:those drawings are incredible, i might as well pack up and go home 8O

really good
Nah mate. Do what I am doing...go abstract. Very hard for critics to criticise something they don't understand! :-)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:34 pm

slatepipe wrote:those drawings are incredible, i might as well pack up and go home 8O

really good
Keep in mind though that though she is very good and quite creative she really had no idea just how good she could actually do it and she struggles with people sketches because you can pick things too much which is why she sticks to animals. Also it takes a LOT of time.

If interested here is a link to a timelaps video of one of her sketches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... vsh9XrOPlc

Music is one of my old, old tracks (actually done in Fast Tracker back in the day - early 2000) and they mounted a 450D above her desk connected to a PC and programmed to take a sound every minute. It sounded a beep 5 seconds before the photo so she could move her hand out the way.

Took about 12 hours of sketching over 2 days to do but interesting to see how it unfolds.