Multi-Threading / Dual CPU audio processing support

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
onnomon

Performance issues with Live and OsX

Post by onnomon » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:05 pm

Apart from the computational power required for the plug-ins, Live seems to lack any form of application-level disk caching system. I'm quite sure Logic has extensive application-level caching because the difference in disk performance is more than noticable. With good caching, the RAM flag wouldn't be necessary since using a Most-Recently-Used type algorithm insures that the looped section from a humongous audio file is already available.

For some reason the OsX-level caching seems to lack.

As far as multi-processor support, that's a given. You know that Ableton is trying their best to get it going, robustly.

-dean

tylast

Post by tylast » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:27 pm

OK, dual core CPUs are almost here. Can anyone running Live 4 on a dual CPU system give a basic CPU usage % for each CPU since Live currently has two threads (Audio Engine & Graphics). I just want to know if the cost benifit is there or not. Looking for something like CPU1=78% & CPU2=43% & processor types. :D

tylast

Post by tylast » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:32 pm

OK, now Intel Compiler v9 automatically seeks opportunities in applications to create multiple execution threads. Time to multi thread that audio engine! :wink:

handojin

Post by handojin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:10 am

multi threadings got my vote aswell..

if any body has dual already and wants to give a try.. why not use ableton in rewire to an app that has pdc and multi cpu support already.. use vsti plugins in live and use vst effects in the rewire mode.. im thinking that if ableton only uses cpu 1.. and cubase/sonar or whatever app thats running it in rewire should be able to shoot some of the cpu hit to the next processor.. not the ideal solution but it might work..

flipper

Post by flipper » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:30 pm

HI

Here is a link to a host called Podium who's developer spent a week coding dual cpu support -

http://www.zynewave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572

Surely this request is being asked by enough people to be considered important?

the availability of dual core cpu's means everybody will be screaming for this feature over the next few months.

I would see this as an opportunity for Live to gain more users as very few host programs have this ability.

Be nice to get some response from Ableton as well.

Flipper.

flipper

Post by flipper » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:33 pm

HI

I am not into setting up these tests but I can tell you that there is very little advantage in Lives CPU usage on my dual Xeon - Tracktion is similar, but again this is not the type of stuff that uses much power anyway.

Flipper.

ovorigin

Re: Multi-Threading / Dual CPU audio processing support

Post by ovorigin » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:40 am

considering people have been asking for multi threading since 2004 I think this is VERY lame of ableton, especially all the useless shit they have been putting into the releases that followed.

nearly 10 years later and I still have to watch ableton limp along using only one core on my super duper $3000 quad core.

pathetic.

looper has had nothing new added since its release, again pathetic.

no paying for an upgrade here, thats for sure.