How do you play live with many projects? (fast switch?)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
itrehalf

How do you play live with many projects? (fast switch?)

Post by itrehalf » Wed May 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Im wondering if, is there a way to play LIVE ( on stage) with multiple projects without suffering the loading time.

I know that you can add projects on the browse window. But i dont like it much, because if my other project has many audio channels is so messy and takes ages. And ableton get stuck for a few seconds but while performing that could be dangerous.

Im thinking about using external soft to replace this death moment during the loading time in ableton, and when finished loading i will launch my project on ableton.
Have u tried that? (wich soft)

How do you play live with many projects?

pd: May be in the future i will use two computers with 2 abletons.

SLEEarts

Re: How do you play live with many projects? (fast switch?)

Post by SLEEarts » Wed May 21, 2014 7:35 pm

I've dealt with this a couple of ways:

1. I'll write little 1-2 minute tracks and play them on an ipod or whatever. Music for loading.

2. Load the entire set in one Live session view. This doesn't always work, in which case I use option #1.

3. You could always talk to the audience.

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Wed May 21, 2014 7:46 pm

A very common way is to resample your tracks into stems. Take all the bass tracks and mix them down to a single track. Take all drums and mix do the same. I try and get my songs down to 8 tracks seem. Each part of the song gets its own set of clips. So for a typical song I might have 5-6 scenes with 8 clips a piece. I then make a 'super' set with all my songs as sets of audio clips. There are trade offs I have to do but I find they are worth it.

When playing live it is best to keep things as simple as you can. This not only helps in preventing computer crashes, but it also helps in getting out of producing mode and into performing mode.

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed May 21, 2014 7:48 pm

Multiple Computers!

Sorry, I can't be more help. Not sure there's a really good way round it. Put everything in one project, or suffer loading times on stage.

You could try to do something with a hardware (or even a real) instrument, a simple groovebox, looper pedal, some chat or something to try and cover the deafening silence.

itrehalf

Post by itrehalf » Wed May 21, 2014 7:54 pm

How about using traktor to mix

Sending audio FROM ableton TO traktor in channel 1 , and play another base or whatever backtrack you have in channel 2 and when the loading time is over you can come back to channel 1?

itrehalf

Post by itrehalf » Wed May 21, 2014 8:01 pm

SLEEarts wrote:I've dealt with this a couple of ways:

1. I'll write little 1-2 minute tracks and play them on an ipod or whatever. Music for loading.

2. Load the entire set in one Live session view. This doesn't always work, in which case I use option #1.

3. You could always talk to the audience.
Yeah well my idea is mixing and create and entire set with many projects (cuz my projects tend to be large with a lot of flexibility )
This is because i like to jam during the track.

So may be the ipod would be a solution (but the lack of flexibility is somth to consider in those 2 minutes but well...), how about traktor plus ableton? Or well... 2 computers...