A strictly English speaker in Europe

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

A strictly English speaker in Europe

Post by beats me » Thu May 29, 2014 11:35 am

My family is planning a trip to Europe and I'm not an arrogant American who expects everybody in the world to have a grasp of English, but I'm also not that great with foreign languages, less so the older I get. I really don't know what to expect country hopping through Europe but I'm thinking not all Europeans who cross borders fluently speak all the languages of the regions either. What should I expect? I don't get out of the English-speaking-o-sphere much.

Here are the places I'm interested in.

Venice, Italy
Vienna, Austria
Prague, Czech Republic
Berlin, Germany

Any tips on those cities, language aside, also welcome.

I went to Madrid, Spain for 10 days once and all I recall knowing how to do is order eggs and beer and ask where the bathroom was. :x

slatepipe

Re: A strictly English speaker in Europe

Post by slatepipe » Thu May 29, 2014 12:37 pm

i been to italy, germany and the czech rep and never had a problem communicating. learning a few basic words in each language goes a long way, even just hello and thank you. and in europe a lot of people will speak at least basic english, especially in big cities

vienna? it means nothing to me (thats an ultravox joke)

you should go to london too 8)

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu May 29, 2014 1:12 pm

I've been in Germany for 3 months now, and I'm not much further than "ein Bier, bitte".

:oops:

I actually know quite a few words now, but my brain doesn't seem to be able to process in conversation. Far too often "sprechen Sie Englisch?" just pops out before I can stop myself.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 29, 2014 1:24 pm

slatepipe wrote:
you should go to london too 8)

I’ve got close to zero interest in London. I suppose I feel it’s a bit overexposed and stock, like Australia. No offense intended to Londoners...or Australians. :wink: I want to step a bit outside my comfort zone. I’m interested in checking out Asia too but my parents aren’t having that for this trip.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 29, 2014 1:30 pm

andydes wrote:I've been in Germany for 3 months now, and I'm not much further than "ein Bier, bitte".

:oops:

I actually know quite a few words now, but my brain doesn't seem to be able to process in conversation. Far too often "sprechen Sie Englisch?" just pops out before I can stop myself.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I can picture my dumbass going “habla Inglés?” regardless of what country I’m in. :lol: :x

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu May 29, 2014 1:51 pm

beats me wrote:I’ve got close to zero interest in London.
at least drop in for a beer :x :wink:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 29, 2014 2:02 pm

slatepipe wrote:

I once had a German friend let me know she was coming to the states in case I wanted to meet up. She was going to New York…3,000 miles away from me. So on that note how about a I let you know when I’ll be in Berlin and you can just taxi over and I’ll buy you a beer. :wink:

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu May 29, 2014 2:06 pm

slatepipe wrote:
You should all come here. It's a public holiday today and I'm having a beer by the river, while people are dancing to Y M C A, as i write. You don't get that in trendy London or Berlin.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu May 29, 2014 2:27 pm

andydes wrote:I've been in Germany for 3 months now, and I'm not much further than "ein Bier, bitte".
Next is "noch ein!"

:)
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 29, 2014 2:32 pm

andydes wrote:
slatepipe wrote:
You should all come here. It's a public holiday today and I'm having a beer by the river, while people are dancing to Y M C A, as i write. You don't get that in trendy London or Berlin.

I picture Europeans in general being a little more serious than Americans, but also reach a level of silliness that we don’t.

There used to be a segment on a radio show here called “Florida or Germany” that reported fucked up news stories on absurd, silly, or unique criminal behavior and then people had to guess if it took place in Florida or Germany.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu May 29, 2014 4:30 pm

beats me wrote:
slatepipe wrote:

I once had a German friend let me know she was coming to the states in case I wanted to meet up. She was going to New York…3,000 miles away from me. So on that note how about a I let you know when I’ll be in Berlin and you can just taxi over and I’ll buy you a beer. :wink:

Same time zone as Cape Town.

... just sayin'

8O

Post by 8O » Thu May 29, 2014 4:39 pm

All four are touristy cities and in the city centres you will have no problem getting by with only English. Indeed in the touristy parts here in Berlin there are some places that *only* speak English, not German.

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu May 29, 2014 5:12 pm

beats me wrote: I picture Europeans in general being a little more serious than Americans, but also reach a level of silliness that we don’t.
Every country is nuts in it's own way.

Italians are usually good fun (although I'm mainly going by the particularly mental ones who I met in London). Don't get expect to meet anyone in Venice though. It's a creepy ghost town at night. If you've seen Don't Look Now, it really is like that.

Prague is great. Especially if you like girls with died red hair and tattoos. And don't mind running into English stag parties of course.

And of course Germany is like omg, sooo amazing. I have to say that of course, but I like it so far.

There used to be a segment on a radio show here called “Florida or Germany” that reported fucked up news stories on absurd, silly, or unique criminal behavior and then people had to guess if it took place in Florida or Germany.
Like it. Laughing at other people's funny ways is one of the grea
t joys in life.

So when are you coming? I need to check out Berlin, and vaguely said I'd meet Tom I'd sometime. Lets not do a pilgrimage to ableton HQ though. That would be the last step towards forum geek for me .

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu May 29, 2014 5:21 pm

beats me wrote:
slatepipe wrote:

hahaha - that might happen 8)

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 29, 2014 7:08 pm

8O wrote:All four are touristy cities and in the city centres you will have no problem getting by with only English. Indeed in the touristy parts here in Berlin there are some places that *only* speak English, not German.

Sweet. I found my 10 days in Spain quite draining and isolated because I couldn’t just strike up a conversation with people, and I’m a conversation striker (when drinking). I also experienced why immigrants tend to congregate together. When I ran into other Americans it felt like running into long lost beloved relatives, never mind the fact that we probably wouldn’t get along at all if we were back in the states. :x