[Go to page: 1,...15,16,17]

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

[Go to page: 1,...15,16,17]

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:12 am

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:13 am, edited 6 times in total.

TomViolenz

Re: taylor pulled out

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:14 am

Swift indicated how she views streaming in a July opinion piece published in the Wall Street Journal. "Piracy, file sharing and streaming have shrunk the numbers of paid album sales drastically," she wrote, while also pointing out that "people are still buying albums, but now they're buying just a few of them."
I agree, piracy may have given a big blow to the music industry, but things like Spotify make music also for small acts a much more difficult economic proposition.

When piracy was king, people who ripped the music, might have still turned into fans and then thought better of it and bought the album for the regular price. (I know I have plenty of times)
Now though, nobody listens to albums anymore, music turns more and more into background entertainment with which people don't really identify. (the all you can eat overeating and mediocre taste abound).
And to top it up, they all think they have already been honest, because they pay 10 bucks a month to someone.

But that someone is never the small independent artist, who at the most gets a few cents a month.
Even Beck states that he would have to get a day job if had to live of the money he makes of Spotify.
If Spotify and the like turn into the only game in town, no one but the Justin Biebers of the world will be able to live off their music.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:32 am

Spotify and silent discos can all eat a dick...

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:38 pm

I think music streaming just hasn't got the balance right. There's no way I'd buy the number of albums I've streaned in the last year, I just haven't got the funds for it. Maybe be we're just too spoiled for choice nowadays, but I don't think we can be expected to buy vinyl/cd albums ever again and I just don't see the value in digital files for the same price ala itunes.

I know it might not go down well in a music production forum, I work in TV where sales and streaming etc. have effected each orher as well.

Shouldn't this be in the loung anyway

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:27 pm

ekwipt wrote:I think music streaming just hasn't got the balance right. There's no way I'd buy the number of albums I've streaned in the last year, I just haven't got the funds for it. Maybe be we're just too spoiled for choice nowadays, but I don't think we can be expected to buy vinyl/cd albums ever again and I just don't see the value in digital files for the same price ala itunes.

I know it might not go down well in a music production forum, I work in TV where sales and streaming etc. have effected each orher as well.

Shouldn't this be in the loung anyway
That's a very disapointing stance to be voiced here.

As a general listener that position could be excused, because people usually don't think closely about the products they buy (slave labor clothes being a stark example of that).
But on a music production forum to equate any value to the physical media vs. digital files totally ignores that the main cost is still in the creative process and the time that is needed for it. (musicians need to eat too, you know?!) This is just a slap in the face to everyone here. Very disrespectful!

Just as you paid for the content before, you do so now. The few cents of a plastic disc have no bearing on this

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:38 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't artists get paid royalties when their music is streamed on streaming sites such as spotify? I don't see how they wouldn't as it could be construed copyright infringement and spotify _should_ have the same issue as soundcloud in regards to artists/labels songs being streamable without the artists/labels consent? IMO, streaming services are the "new" radio.

Anyway, if that's indeed the case, she seems to, at least in my mind be greedy with this stance. She'd rather have someone pay $.99 on itunes/google music/whatever online store, or 6.99 for the entire album (or whatever the price is for a full "album" on these stores) as opposed to getting the rather miniscule royalty money from a streamed tune. You can either adapt to the way things are, or you can remain "stuck" in the past. I hate buying whole "albums" because there are usually only a couple songs on it worth listening to, unless they're compilation albums. But I have no problem buying singles and do it often. Hell, I buy a lot of vinyl to DJ with.

But Taylor Swift is also in a unique position...she's one of the pop queens. She doesn't need the exposure that a streaming service can provide. All the fifteen year old girls know her songs because they hear them at school or from friends. (and I'm assuming teen girls are the primary buyers of her music, but who knows?) Many artists don't have that luxury and need every bit of exposure possible.

In the end, I could care less. I can't name one of her songs off the top of my head, although I'm sure I'd think one or two weren't bad songs at all. It's her decision. It will either help her career or hurt it, but in the end it doesn't affect me.

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:09 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:22 pm

ImNotDedYet wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't artists get paid royalties when their music is streamed on streaming sites such as spotify? I don't see how they wouldn't as it could be construed copyright infringement and spotify _should_ have the same issue as soundcloud in regards to artists/labels songs being streamable without the artists/labels consent? IMO, streaming services are the "new" radio.

Anyway, if that's indeed the case, she seems to, at least in my mind be greedy with this stance. She'd rather have someone pay $.99 on itunes/google music/whatever online store, or 6.99 for the entire album (or whatever the price is for a full "album" on these stores) as opposed to getting the rather miniscule royalty money from a streamed tune. You can either adapt to the way things are, or you can remain "stuck" in the past. I hate buying whole "albums" because there are usually only a couple songs on it worth listening to, unless they're compilation albums. But I have no problem buying singles and do it often. Hell, I buy a lot of vinyl to DJ with.
yes they get royalties. that's the beauty of ASCAP (and the other one that i can't remember right now). i think Miss Swift's issue is that you don't get the holy grail of the recording industry "album sales" (i.e gold/platinum records) that way. the thing she is neglecting to realize is that in 20 years royalties checks keep coming in if your music is still getting played. it's the typical i want it now i am not willing to wait reaction... but then again, if your music is crap you want to get the whole cash cow up front while the people are still mesmerized.
i'm not a fan of her music, but somebody is... her beef is with them.

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:08 pm

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:23 pm

^Wins thread! 8)

What is there still to discuss?!

And just because Ms. Swift is affected as well, does not mean that everyone here is not a million times more so.

For her it may be a question of private island vs. just a villa on a beach.

For most it will be: Is bar tending three nights a week enough, or do I need a full time day job

Spotify wins and no one here will ever again be able to live of the music they sell.

Sure you can do concerts to earn a living, and for some that may work out well, but for most it won't.

This will be the end of the independent professional musician. You will either be absolute mainstream successful, or you will need a day job.

I don't think all the people, who listen to their favorite non-mainstream artists on Spotify exclusivly have thought this through.
In the future you either listen to mainstream or to amateurs. There is no middle ground anymore. But hey, at least you can listen to soooooo much more of it for just 10 bucks/month. What a victory :roll:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:58 pm

I’m sticking it to the music industry and public by not ever releasing a finished track.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:02 pm

JoshG567 wrote:Image
Just to equate this differently.

To make just $1 off of Rhapsody you need 454 plays within one month.

To make just $1 off of Spotify you need 3448 plays within one month.

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:14 pm

i noticed the fine print on the bottom of that image says that it does not reflect publishing and performance rights.

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2013/05/m ... e-royalty/

http://www.bmi.com/news/entry/Understan ... _Royalties

http://www.bmi.com/creators/royalty/general_information