Guitar Pedal Power Supply

Discuss Push with other users.
Beauklu

Guitar Pedal Power Supply

Post by Beauklu » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi everyone! I'm wondering if I can use a guitar pedal power supply with the ableton push. Specifically, a 9v 1 spot http://visualsound.net/1-spot-power-supply/

Tarekith

Re: Guitar Pedal Power Supply

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:25 pm

You'd need to make sure that not only does it deliver enough power, but also that the inside and outside dimensions of the plug are the same, which is rare. Might be safer just getting a new one specifically for Push.

Beauklu

Post by Beauklu » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:23 pm

It fits the supply (standardized), it just runs 3v hotter, which nominally isn't a problem, but I'd like some reassurance from a hardware guy. I work as a physicist, I'm not good with real applications 8O

Beauklu

Post by Beauklu » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:55 am

All right, I was dumb enough to try it, and the answer is noooo, it does not work, but it doesn't fry it either. There must be some kind of voltage guard built in, because I can't even get the LCDs to turn on when a 9v power supply is plugged in, so 5v it is. Thank you Ableton for protecting me from my own stupidity ^_^

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:41 am

did you check the polarity? that is the first thing you should check before ever using an alternate power supply. the Push is expecting a centre positive plug.

using a higher voltage supply isn't generally a good idea anyway. some equipment can handle more, some can't. on the other hand, a supply of the same voltage but greater current is generally fine, as a device will only draw as much current as it needs.

Beauklu

Post by Beauklu » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:07 pm

I was already asked if I checked the polarity, and I said yes, albeit in a roundabout way. Either way, using the wrong power supply is bad in general, you shouldn't do it under any mismatch, voltage or current related. END THREAD (idk if I can do that, but I'm doing it).

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:25 pm

huh? there is no other mention of polarity in the thread, and the supply you linked to is centre negative by default.

and current doesn't have to match, it just has to be high enough.

Beauklu

Post by Beauklu » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:18 am

@fishmonkey

Actually there was mention of polarity above, and I said that the polarity is standardized, that is on guitar pedals. You pointed out to me that the link I linked to was for a negative center power supply. That's when I remembered that guitar pedals were standardized the opposite convention from the Ableton Push. Thank you for pointing that out to me!

So I switched out the polarity with a simple polarity converter and voila! IT WORKS. Worth the risk entirely. Now I can go to a gig and have my Ableton push and Livid DS1 on one power supply daisy chained together. Life is great ^_^

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:55 am

Beauklu wrote:@fishmonkey

Actually there was mention of polarity above, and I said that the polarity is standardized, that is on guitar pedals.
actually polarity wasn't mentioned, i don't know where you are reading that. anyway, glad you got it working...