M4L Stability

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
Post Reply
salmonito
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:09 am

Re: M4L Stability

Post by salmonito » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:11 am

I bought Live Suite in part to get Max4Live. I cannot use Max4Live with all the crashing. How can I get a refund for Max4Live...? Yeah it's that bad.

tecolo
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Re: M4L Stability

Post by tecolo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:29 am

salmonito wrote:I bought Live Suite in part to get Max4Live. I cannot use Max4Live with all the crashing. How can I get a refund for Max4Live...? Yeah it's that bad.
Same here but i don't want refund. I would like to have it. It's been great on paper and in theory. But in practice it's unstable.


Anyone else with stable win8 64 bit and m4l? Please post your findings here..

dsu
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:22 pm
Contact:

Re: M4L Stability

Post by dsu » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:05 pm

Bump

Same behavoir as most of the other folks posting, ranging from;

instantly crashes when a Max device is dragged to a track, when the Max device is the only device in the entire set,

to

a working set is saved but Live crashes when it tries to open it.


This is really getting me thinking about jumping to OSX.

Configuration:
Windows 7 SP-1 64 bit, Live 9.1.7 64 bit, Focusrite Saffire 56,
i7 2600, 8 GB Ram

Angstrom
Posts: 14664
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: M4L Stability

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:19 pm

I was watching the SonicState podcast, and they refered to M4L as "crash for Live".
That's not good, eh? 8O

BojanKerkez
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: M4L Stability

Post by BojanKerkez » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:39 pm

salmonito wrote:Anyone else with stable win8 64 bit and m4l? Please post your findings here..
I was planning to reinstall my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro anyway, so just to see how the thing works, I've upgraded it today to Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9926.
For the last two hours I've been trying to crash Live 9.1.7 by using dozens of Max4Live devices without any "success". And since Windows 10 is basically Windows 8.1 with some corrected features (which are at this stage quite wonky), I would say Because789 claim is correct.

There is obviously something wrong with Max4Live on Windows 7 which apparently does not manifest on newer versions of Windows. And by leaving it unfixed and not even acknowledging there is a problem for almost half a year now, Ableton AG is clearly showing just how little they care about their Windows users.

fabrice segura
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:48 am
Location: nice/france

Re: M4L Stability

Post by fabrice segura » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Image

many crashs for me with max for live devices

tecolo
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Re: M4L Stability

Post by tecolo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:11 am

BojanKerkez wrote:
salmonito wrote:Anyone else with stable win8 64 bit and m4l? Please post your findings here..
I was planning to reinstall my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro anyway, so just to see how the thing works, I've upgraded it today to Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9926.
For the last two hours I've been trying to crash Live 9.1.7 by using dozens of Max4Live devices without any "success". And since Windows 10 is basically Windows 8.1 with some corrected features (which are at this stage quite wonky), I would say Because789 claim is correct.

There is obviously something wrong with Max4Live on Windows 7 which apparently does not manifest on newer versions of Windows. And by leaving it unfixed and not even acknowledging there is a problem for almost half a year now, Ableton AG is clearly showing just how little they care about their Windows users.
I'll try to install Windows 10 tech preview and will report my findings here regarding m4l stability.

Did you had any driver troubles? Do all win8.1 drivers works in win10?

BojanKerkez
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: M4L Stability

Post by BojanKerkez » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:37 pm

tecolo wrote:Did you had any driver troubles? Do all win8.1 drivers works in win10?
The only driver I had to manually install was for my soundcard (Line6 UX2). I used the driver for 8.1. Everything else just worked with, I presume, Windows 7 drivers that were already installed.

Since I've made that post I've discovered one rather important thing - Live has to have Run as Administrator checked in its exe's properties, even if your account is already running with administrative privileges. If it's not checked, VSTs and Live's own instruments and effects load with slight, but noticeable lag.

Other than that everything runs without any issues. I haven't had any crashes with Live nor with Windows. I did have to use a registry hack to bring back the Start menu from a previous build, cause the new one was abominably slow. And the way they organised drives (especially if there are a lot of them) and Quick access links in the new File Explorer is inexplicably bad. And if it stays that way in the end, then yeah, it's still the boneheaded Microsoft we all know and despise.

dsu
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:22 pm
Contact:

Re: M4L Stability

Post by dsu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:07 am

That is interesting about Window 10. I was on Windows 8 but my firewire attached Focusrite Luquid 56 was a complete disaster so I reverted back to Windows 7. Is it accurate to say that Windows 8.1 users are not experiencing the same M4L crash epidemic that Windows 7 user are. If it is true I think it would be a bigger bang for the buck to by a RME Fireface UC than a new Mac.

tecolo
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Re: M4L Stability

Post by tecolo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:39 am

dsu wrote:That is interesting about Window 10. I was on Windows 8 but my firewire attached Focusrite Luquid 56 was a complete disaster so I reverted back to Windows 7. Is it accurate to say that Windows 8.1 users are not experiencing the same M4L crash epidemic that Windows 7 user are. If it is true I think it would be a bigger bang for the buck to by a RME Fireface UC than a new Mac.
I fo have access on test machine where we have Live 7 on win 7 64 bit. Major nightmare. In the next couple of days i will test exactly SAME setup on win 10 and will report my findings.

doubleUG
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:19 am

Re: M4L Stability

Post by doubleUG » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:12 am

Max often crashes when patching with blue screen.
Win 8.1 64 bit
copy the text, open Max/Msp > File > New form Clipboard
https://docs.cycling74.com/max5/vignett ... tches.html

https://soundcloud.com/doubleUG

BojanKerkez
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: M4L Stability

Post by BojanKerkez » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:57 pm

In case anyone's been wondering if 9.2 will finally fix our Windows 7 woes with Max4Live, I'm sorry to say that nothing has changed. At least not with 9.2b1.

Angstrom
Posts: 14664
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: M4L Stability

Post by Angstrom » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:33 pm

BojanKerkez wrote:In case anyone's been wondering if 9.2 will finally fix our Windows 7 woes with Max4Live, I'm sorry to say that nothing has changed. At least not with 9.2b1.
argh

tecolo
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Re: M4L Stability

Post by tecolo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:42 am

I am testing win 10 preview for the last three days. I can say that m4live is still crashing, but there is indeed an improvement.

I have about 70%less crashes, and everything is snappier and faster. No doubt about that. However projects which crashed extensively on win 7 still crashes on win 10 but not so often. Anyway or other it's an improvement but there are a lot of things in m4l to fix and begin with...

Yesterday i just sent report to hyakken developer of famous sequencers for m4l. Most of them still works in win10 but some of them don't and m4live report various java errors and so on..

Pandora box for sure..

dsu
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:22 pm
Contact:

Re: M4L Stability

Post by dsu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:51 am

Sad to note this problem is not addressed as a fix in the new 9.2 beta that was just announced.

Post Reply