Fader/knob controller for tracks, Sends

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Faldoe

Fader/knob controller for tracks, Sends

Post by Faldoe » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:35 am

I'm looking for a MIDI/USB controller that will sync with live and control the track levels, Master level and Sends.

I'm currently using a Korg NanoKontrol 2, which is cool but it doesn't have a Master Level control and I need more knobs to control Sends for each track.

What are my controller options? The controller in question doesn't need to have keyboard.

Compact would be great.

Timbeaux

Re: Fader/knob controller for tracks, Sends

Post by Timbeaux » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:29 am

may the novation nocturn is the controller to go for you.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:56 am

ymmv. Some people like Novation nocturn; personally I found it a horrible experience. Novation's automap and Live's Midi Mapping and Midi remote scripts don't always play nicely together.

I'd recommend you consider a mix of

(1) Any one of the basic AKAI controllers (I have an LD8, 8 pots and 89 pads and the MPK 32, with 8 pots and 8 sliders; they are effective and not too expensive)
(2) An installation of SelectedTrackControl. This allows you to assign your knobs and sliders to whatever session view control you like. I

Faldoe

Post by Faldoe » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:46 am

bump

evon

Post by evon » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:53 pm

Why not map the last knob on the nanokontrol to the mastertrack fader in Live. Any of the other knobs could also be mapped to return tracks.

The nano has 32 knobs, 8 for each scene. Just press the scene button on the nano to navigate through the tracks.

I think knob 9 is the master fader and remains constant throughout the scene changes.
fe real!

Faldoe

Post by Faldoe » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:14 pm

evon wrote:Why not map the last knob on the nanokontrol to the mastertrack fader in Live. Any of the other knobs could also be mapped to return tracks.

The nano has 32 knobs, 8 for each scene. Just press the scene button on the nano to navigate through the tracks.

I think knob 9 is the master fader and remains constant throughout the scene changes.
I haven't found that to be the case. I'm using the Mackie Control thing in the Control Surfaces menu. None of the sliders control the Master. If I midi map it, then I won't be able to control the track of that fader because it will be mapped to the Master.