Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 good replacement for NI AK1?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 good replacement for NI AK1?

Post by sporkles » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:04 am

Because of issues with crackling audio, I need to replace my old NI Audio Kontrol 1, and I was wondering if anyone would recommend or advise against a Focusrite Scarlett interface. All I need is a simple interface with low latency, easy operation and some flexibility as far as bit depth and sample rate go, at least one input and headphone and TRS jack monitor outputs. I understand that the 2i2 caps at 96Khz, but I can't imagine that would be an issue, as I've never ran my AK1 above 48.

Is this a good, reliable and problem-free interface in Windows 7+? Should I rather cover more potential scenarios and go for the 2i4 instead? Any other, similarly speced interface you'd rather recommend?

Richie Witch

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 good replacement for NI AK1?

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:32 am

The extra cost of the 2i4 gets you a MIDI interface and a PAD button for electric guitar. If the only things you will ever record are microphones and line-level inputs, then the 2i2 is fine. Personally, I quickly discovered I needed those MIDI ports.

As far as reliability/stability, the 2i4 is absolutely rock-solid. I had one connected to my Win7 rig for a year and it ran flawlessly with Ableton.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks for the quick reply - that's exactly the response I was hoping for! :D

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:48 pm

I went from my 2nd dead AK1 to a focusrite 6i6 -- it's great, super reliable and easy (OS X). (I haven't really made use of the extra ports that this expansion got me, since I don't do a lot of stuff out of the box. But I could! It is nice to have a 2nd headphone out jack though.)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:36 pm

Good to hear! Cheers

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:55 am

I bought a 2i4 about a week ago to use in conjunction with Live + Komplete 10 + Push on a Windows 8.1 machine. Works flawlessly. Very happy with it. If I had to buy again I'd happily buy another Focusrite.

I really only use the headphone output as far as inputs/outputs go, but I figured it was worth the small differential in price between the 2i2 and the 2i4 for the midi port if I ever decide to go down the path of outboard gear at some point.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:27 pm

No question. The AK1 drivers are crap, at least on my Win7 Pro computer. I went with FocusRite and never looked back (although I am now using the GT-001 as my interface, since I am a guitarist.

That said, I am a BIG NI fan in all other areas.....