Unexplained Volume and Tone Changes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
capital_b

Unexplained Volume and Tone Changes

Post by capital_b » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:40 pm

Volume changes mysteriously occur after I slice audio to midi. Even after I adjust simpler adsr so it isn't effecting the sample and turn velocity up to 100% Even and match any sends or fx I had on original track and original tracks volume. It will till be off half a decibel.

But whats worse is as I combine some tracks I've sliced to midi into one track (drum rack samples being copied from one drum rack to another) and then group those samples (drum racks within drum racks to represent each formerly individual drum rack) and continue to match settings (positive about this) now of the original slice to midi drum racks I created with there nested counterparts in the drum rack I'm copying them to, all of a sudden, not only have the volumes of each individual sample changed (now a db or even more, which on layered sounds begins to accumulate), but the tonality of everything is noticeably different.

What is going on???

Sanpaku

Re: Unexplained Volume and Tone Changes

Post by Sanpaku » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:57 pm

This is exactly what I am experiencing!

So... I'm slicing an audio drum loop, just a regular WAV file.

But after slicing and turning off the audio clip to hear the midi version, the volume of the midi clip is lower.

I'm attaching an image http://imgur.com/V7Fn6UE

... As far as I can see and hear, the difference in volume is almost 8db (?!), I would have hoped it was zero first of all, but I can't even get this midi clip boosted now to match the audio clip, without adding some sort of tool with gain, or moving the mixer slider, which I'm not really into.

Could I have setup something wrong in Prefs, or sth? This is really not good for my work flow

Thanks guys

chrissobo13

Post by chrissobo13 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:00 am

If you maybe have a dusty old controller of some sort plugged in, that can be the culprit. Dust in the encoders will cause some ghost MIDI activity. Just spray it out with some canned air. But if it still happens and you don't have any controllers plugged in, I have no idea.

Sanpaku

Post by Sanpaku » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:35 am

chrissobo13 wrote:If you maybe have a dusty old controller of some sort plugged in, that can be the culprit. Dust in the encoders will cause some ghost MIDI activity. Just spray it out with some canned air. But if it still happens and you don't have any controllers plugged in, I have no idea.
Can't be, midi keys are 3 months old :/

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:29 am

capital_b wrote:
What is going on???
Most likely your loop was quite loud and Simpler defaults to lower than 0dB. The idea with a sensible -12dB. or something like that as default is that you leave headroom for processing and add volume later, typically in a buss or in the master channel.
You can adjust the volume in Simpler.
Make some music!