Live 9.5

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Stromkraft

Re: Live 9.5

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:37 am

ShelLuser wrote: In the mean time I tried to automate this using my RecClipColor M4l device and well, it's far from perfect but it's a start:
Good job. Thank you.
Make some music!

[art]

Post by [art] » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:16 am

It's kinda crazy they just lost the clip color option. That's been part of Live for years. Track coloring is definately a welcome improvement, but I agree with others - bring back autoclip coloring also - it was great for seeing progression in a set. Must be someway to integrate the two.

I'd be fine with all the track coloring being referenced in the Push display and representative of what each track is... but for session view clip coloring is vital.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:19 am

Live "stop coloring your kick Bitwig orange noob. I disabled color option." "How do you like that? lol"

octavious

Post by octavious » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:06 am

andy_cytomic wrote: The MS1, JPR and SHR are the most expensive filters in terms of CPU, and if you look at the current version of The Drop you will notice there are no fixed and low CPU / MD versions of these filters, so it wasn't a good fit for Live. It has only been over the last month that I've come up with new methods to to make fixed and low CPU / MD versions of all the filter types. This is so new that it isn't even released in The Drop yet! If there is enough support in the Ableton community then it may be possible in the future that new filter circuit models can be added, for now you'll just have to put up with 4 of the worlds best sounding analog modelled filter algorithms ;)
Please... i beg you. Make this happen.
Sh filters are my absolute favorite.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:06 am

so how is the quality of the slicing ? and for you guys who don't have push 2 how are you utilizing the new slicing features?

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:19 pm

starving student wrote:so how is the quality of the slicing ? and for you guys who don't have push 2 how are you utilizing the new slicing features?
Great addition and all but..
It is rudimentary. I find it cumbersome. No click to audition slices. So when you're zoomed in trying to fix the inaccurate slice detection (no improvement there), you gotta look away to find the right key to hit.
There is no way to listen to the loop in its entirety, once its in slice mode, which i'm kinda used to doing when slicing.
I cannot see any custom slicing dialog when choosing slice to midi in simpler.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:57 pm

thru mode

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:00 pm

...pad sclicing seems to be the "custom slices" method...
macbook pro late 2016, osx 10.13.6, rme multiface via sonnet thunderbolt expresscard adapter + thunderbolt to usb-c adapter, ableton live 10.0.1, push 2, komplete 9, maschine 2.7.6, touchable

daddytang

Post by daddytang » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Simpler is cool but it needs the ability to dig in and audition slices and manipulate them. New Sonic Arts Vice kills Simpler with its ability to surgically manipulate slices.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:29 pm

...you mean this type of manipulation of slices: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA1NQO1cbT0 ?
macbook pro late 2016, osx 10.13.6, rme multiface via sonnet thunderbolt expresscard adapter + thunderbolt to usb-c adapter, ableton live 10.0.1, push 2, komplete 9, maschine 2.7.6, touchable

daddytang

Post by daddytang » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:16 pm

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:44 pm

And also no way to slice by 16ths or 8ths, etc, which is usually standard.

LFO8

Post by LFO8 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:06 pm

LFO8 wrote:I am glad that 9.5 now lets clips be automatically colored by the track color, but I was surprised that the clips you already have loaded onto a track do not change color when you change the tracks color?? 8O

That was the kind of proper behaviour (and timesaver) I was expecting to be honest.

So no one else was wondering this?
ImageAsylum Sound Music and Sound Design

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:24 am

LFO8 wrote:
LFO8 wrote:I am glad that 9.5 now lets clips be automatically colored by the track color, but I was surprised that the clips you already have loaded onto a track do not change color when you change the tracks color?? 8O

That was the kind of proper behaviour (and timesaver) I was expecting to be honest.
Ableton have wisely chosen to not irritate users with such a default. What if I don't want Live to recolor pre-existing clips? Why should it when the user have chosen the color already? Selecting clips and changing the color takes no more than a few seconds per track anyway. No "time saving" Apple-style defaults, thank you. Intelligent design means interacting with the user, not actively getting involved into the decision process.
Make some music!

LFO8

Post by LFO8 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:02 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
LFO8 wrote:

Ableton have wisely chosen to not irritate users with such a default. What if I don't want Live to recolor pre-existing clips? Why should it when the user have chosen the color already? Selecting clips and changing the color takes no more than a few seconds per track anyway. No "time saving" Apple-style defaults, thank you. Intelligent design means interacting with the user, not actively getting involved into the decision process.
To me, that is exactly what automatically assigning clip colors should be. I mean why have it enabled for every clip that gets loaded into a colored track but nut when you decide to change the track color when there are clips loaded on that track already. Any extra mouse click that can be prevented is a good thing imo. These settings can be made optional in the preference panel. This way everyone can be happy.. no?
ImageAsylum Sound Music and Sound Design