Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Bring Back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality please!

YES: Having every clip the exact same color in a track makes it very difficult to tell different musical ideas apart, especially on-stage. Give users the OPTION of turning this on or off please.
86
83%
NO: Keep this new functionality in 9.5 and do not give users a choice in changing it
18
17%
 
Total votes: 104

solovox
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:41 am
Location: Portland
Contact:

Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:59 pm

With 9.5, users have no choice in having all clips in a track be created with the exact same color, over and over again. For some, this may be useful, but for many users like myself it's incredibly confusing. Especially on-stage as clips are created, the only difference between your 'melody' clip and your 'alternate melody' for a particular instrument will be 'Instrument-01' and 'Instrument-02,' written in the tiny words on each clip.

Live has functioned for 13 years with random colors so that users can instantly tell the difference per scene, not just per track.

Please vote to give users the option of turning this on or off! Thank you!

soundsliketree
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:59 am
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by soundsliketree » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks for starting this poll, Carl. I couldn't agree more.
eO

solovox
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:41 am
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:26 pm

soundsliketree wrote:Thanks for starting this poll, Carl. I couldn't agree more.
eO
I'm enjoying your SoundCloud! And I finally found someone who's been on this forum longer than me. Wow!
Live Show Rig: quad-core i7, 16 gig RAM, SSD, MOTU Ultralite, Windows 7.

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Echo Layla PCI, Windows 10

soundsliketree
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:59 am
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by soundsliketree » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:38 pm

The old timers want their clip colors back!!

Thanks for checking out my soundcloud page. :)
I've been a fan of yours for a while. By the way, I mastered that KillUWithSex track you did with Vokab Kompany a few years back. Hot stuff.

Bobbyandreano
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by Bobbyandreano » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:09 pm

Right-click clip and change clip color.

solovox
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:41 am
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Bobbyandreano wrote:Right-click clip and change clip color.
We understand how to change the colors after the fact. But not only does this add an additional layer of work in the studio (which is never an improvement to a software update), but this is completely unacceptable as a live performer onstage making loops on the fly. Being able to quickly figure out which riff is which by color is critical.
Live Show Rig: quad-core i7, 16 gig RAM, SSD, MOTU Ultralite, Windows 7.

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Echo Layla PCI, Windows 10

ShelLuser
Posts: 3672
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by ShelLuser » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:21 am

+1 I feel very strongly about this too, and I just cannot understand the logic here. Sure; I can understand that this might be helpful towards Push users, but those are not your only customers!

Backwards compatibility, especially in high-end software, should be a given feature in my opinion. Especially when dealing with things which could affect or even break current workflow.

At the risk of spamming (not my intention) but if you guys have Max for Live then you can grab a workaround here (= Max for Live device which I cooked up the very same evening when I upgraded to 9.5 because the current setting doesn't work for me at all).
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Komplete 12.
Blog: SynthFan

Bobbyandreano
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by Bobbyandreano » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:06 am

solovox wrote:
Bobbyandreano wrote:Right-click clip and change clip color.
We understand how to change the colors after the fact. But not only does this add an additional layer of work in the studio (which is never an improvement to a software update), but this is completely unacceptable as a live performer onstage making loops on the fly. Being able to quickly figure out which riff is which by color is critical.
Fair enough.

dazexus
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:48 am

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by dazexus » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:42 am

Oh god please this! I write primarily for film/games and having a new colour for every separate recording made differentiating parts much easier. It also allowed me to know, if I had copied say a brass line to strings, where that original clip came from for when I need to tweak one then the other.

Also I had a template prepared with group tracks filled with empty but ready to go midi tracks. My instruments in the group were the only ones highlighted while all the armed midi were default colour. This way I could easily spot where my instrument were for when I needed to change the instrument.

Does the Ableton team even read this forum BTW? or are we just pissing in the wind?

-DJ

solovox
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:41 am
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by solovox » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:45 am

dazexus wrote:Oh god please this! I write primarily for film/games and having a new colour for every separate recording made differentiating parts much easier. It also allowed me to know, if I had copied say a brass line to strings, where that original clip came from for when I need to tweak one then the other.

Also I had a template prepared with group tracks filled with empty but ready to go midi tracks. My instruments in the group were the only ones highlighted while all the armed midi were default colour. This way I could easily spot where my instrument were for when I needed to change the instrument.

Does the Ableton team even read this forum BTW? or are we just pissing in the wind?

-DJ
Thank you--an excellent example of how important it is to change this back. And yes, Ableton is watching. I can't believe anyone has voted No for this. It's asking to make it OPTIONAL, people. Sheesh!
Live Show Rig: quad-core i7, 16 gig RAM, SSD, MOTU Ultralite, Windows 7.

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Echo Layla PCI, Windows 10

Idonotlikebroccoli
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:36 am

One more old-timer not pleased with this.

When I work in session view and double-click to create clips, I want to get right into the piano roll, instead of having to change the colour just to make it look different from the other ones.

Also, I miss the "no color" option. It was very good for tracks I wasn't completely sure about yet.
Please vote! Live 10's "multi" clip editing should allow selection+editing of multiple clips in one action:

(L10-SUG-0228) Multiple MIDI transpose

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=228094

solovox
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:41 am
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by solovox » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:01 am

I just cannot fathom why anyone is voting No here. You're saying that other users shouldn't have the choice to turn this off?? I would never deprive other users of the option to do something important for them! What the fuck people?!
Live Show Rig: quad-core i7, 16 gig RAM, SSD, MOTU Ultralite, Windows 7.

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Echo Layla PCI, Windows 10

BoddAH
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by BoddAH » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:41 am

While I appreciate the thought and voted yes, the way the poll items are formulated is pretty loaded. :lol: Not neutral at all.

1. Yes, do this and make this world a better place for all people to live in harmony and peace forevermore.
2. No, remain in this dark age of strife and sin while you sit on your throne made of thorns.

I don't know!

I think the clips themselves should have random colors to easily tell them apart in scenes, but the overall color ("theme") of the pads, screen, etc. should reflect the color of the track you're currently working on. That's probably the best solution. :)

solovox
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:41 am
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by solovox » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:47 am

BoddAH wrote:While I appreciate the thought and voted yes, the way the poll items are formulated is pretty loaded. :lol: Not neutral at all.

1. Yes, do this and make this world a better place for all people to live in harmony and peace forevermore.
2. No, remain in this dark age of strife and sin while you sit on your throne made of thorns.

I don't know!

I think the clips themselves should have random colors to easily tell them apart in scenes, but the overall color ("theme") of the pads, screen, etc. should reflect the color of the track you're currently working on. That's probably the best solution. :)
Ha! Well...while I can see where you're coming from, how I phrased it is pretty accurate! Yes: Give a Choice. No: Give us No Choice.

Thanks for voting Yes.
Live Show Rig: quad-core i7, 16 gig RAM, SSD, MOTU Ultralite, Windows 7.

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Echo Layla PCI, Windows 10

redglass
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:43 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by redglass » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:12 am

I would prefer a different handling in clip and arrangment view:

clip-view: random colouring
arrangement-view: same colour

just my 2 cent,

Bastian

Post Reply