how to record liveset during performance?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
laurentius

Re: how to record liveset during performance?

Post by laurentius » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:46 pm

Of course I could feed every audiosignal back to Live. Still this would be another track and this one would need to be activated/armed. When I switch to another track it's unarmed again. I don't like this unexclusive arm function. More button pushing involved...

catsandwich

Post by catsandwich » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:21 am

Angstrom wrote:Yeah. I would use a separate device. Don't stress the machine you are performing on more than required. You don't want a disk-seek glitch..
That seems super unnecessary. Live is built for this. Just use the Arranger's global record.

I've got my set setup in the Arrangement view with each track starting at a midimapped market. Then I midimap "global record, back to arrangement, and reenable automation" to one button so I know I'm playing back what's in the arrangement view. After hitting that start button, I can improvise and override anything in the Arrangement view at my whim.

I play live with a drummer and also multi-mic his kit, so I'm recording KD, LO, RO, gtramp1, gtramp2, gtrDI, Synth1, Synth2, Midi1, Midi2, various softsynths playing back or playing live, etc.

Not a hiccup and I'm on a 2011 Macbook Pro(SSD, i7, 8GB ram).
---
I now see that the OP has some live instruments *not* going through live so the above wouldn't work without running them into live first.

I personally run everything into live first because I'm also doing cuemixes for myself and the drummer. I'm also sending stems to the FO using sends so I can control the premixes of stuff before it gets to whomever is at the board.

I don't use exclusive arm, but I also record everything the entire duration of the set, so in a 40m set, it's possible I'll have audio tracks that only have content for small portions of it. I've got the disk space, so it's a non-issue.

laurentius

Post by laurentius » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:30 am

That sounds complicated. I will try to figure out what you are doing later ;-)
Are you in session or arrangement view during live?

catsandwich

Post by catsandwich » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:35 pm

laurentius wrote:That sounds complicated. I will try to figure out what you are doing later ;-)
Are you in session or arrangement view during live?
Yeah. It is complicated to setup, but really really nice when it's all working.

I have all of my preprogrammed stuff in arrangement view. I even preprogram my footpedal presses so Live navigates the session view without me having to actually touch the footpedal. Anyway, all backing tracks and midi programming is in arrangement view, but all of my performance is done in session view. Recording loops in clips, triggering scenes, etc.

The cool thing is I can monitor anything I want and I've got a nice recording of all of my live performances with a simple File>Export.

It's been rocksolid live though. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... gDj0-YjjXU

Literally everything is going into Live before it gets to anything else.